Spitfire Mk.II XT-L of 603Sqn, Sqn Ldr Stapleton

Historical skin of Spitfire Mk.II XT-L of 603Sqn
Battle of Britain, Sqn Ldr B.G. Stapleton DFC

Skin made by _Harpia_Mafra55_
Template made by Jester

[Image: 47_spitfiremkii_p7350_603%20sqn_sqnldr-s...pleton.jpg]

[Image: mafra.png]

Excellent !!! thank you !!!

One thing and it will be perfest - yellow leading edge...
Anyway, good job...

Possibly the Yellow leading edge was removed when the Spit was refurbished?

Yellow leading edge was part of caouflage orders from the late July 1941. Since August 1941 fighters and low-alititude bombers had been painted with Dark green and Dark sea gray on top and Medium gray on bottom. Yellow lading edges and Sky-S (very light blue-green) propeller spinner with strip in front of tail should make identification easier. Code letters were in Sky-S. Planes during BoB were painted Dark green and Dark earth brown from top and Sky-S on bottom parts. Code letters had light gray colour. In early BoB, they had black spinner and no marking on the bottom. The stripes on tail (rudder) were narrow and high. Roundels on fuselage were type A1 (with yellow outer circle) and the upper wing roundels were type B (onla red and blue). In the same time was estabilished covering of gun nozzles with red cloth labels. Later, marking type A was painted on the bottom. Few weeks aftter was ordered to paint spinner and fuselage stripe Sky-S. In november was bottom side of left wing painted black and the bottom left mark higlighted with yellow border. In January 1941 was ordered to paint planes as in October 1940. This marking lasted until August 1941 when was changed to green-gray. Markings were changed in April 1942 - white and yellow parts of roundels became thinner and colours less bright (A=>C, A1=>C1). In early 1945 was type B roundel (upper side of wings) replaced with C1 type.

Pre-BoB:
In 1938, planes were brown-green on top and aluminium from the bottom. All the roundels on camouflaged parts were A1 type. On the bottom side were A type roundels and Black serial numbers. No stripes were on tail, no code letters.
In 1939 was ordered to paint bottom side of planes with left half black and right half white. Bottom roundels disappeared and serials were painted black on right and white on left. Some planes still had the bottom side of fuselage in aluminium colour, some had no serials, some had aluminium painted ailerons etc. Roundels A1 were replaced with A (without yellow border). Then were A roundels replaced with B ones. Some time after were fuselage roundels turned back to A and very soon in A1. In this marking British fighters entered BoF. Roundels type A appeared on the bottom side of wings very soon as well as the tail stripes and code letters. Serial numbers on tail were painted all the war in black. Only in early BoB they were not painted or removed.

Note: Yo can never make 1938/1939 skin without photo :wink:

PS: I didn't want show my knowledge or critise someone's work. I wrote this beause I hope that it will help skinners to make correct historical skins.
PPS: About 1938 - early 1940 I know no exact dates (which month was ordered to paint sth...).

And the last thing - Spitfire of No. 313 CZECHOSLOVAK Sqn. - June 1941...
[Image: RYW.jpg]

Nice to see that you have such Knowalge o' knowlagble one Big Grin

PLR_Cipher_UK Wrote:Nice to see that you have such Knowalge o' knowlagble one Big Grin
I have got new book... 8)

I recently bought : Camouflage & Markings No.5

RAF Fighters 1945 - 1950 Overseas Based

By Paul Lucas

There are some great stuff in there!

Bought it Euro Militare

An International Model show

Howdy Mates,

I've tried several times to download the file you have listed here but have had no luck. Is it a broken link or has the zip file been removed? Although it could be a problem at my end I don't really think that's the problem. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

can you do the skin to (The link is inoperative) (Spitfire Mk I MOD) for me?

RAF_Samson Wrote:Howdy Mates,

I've tried several times to download the file you have listed here but have had no luck. Is it a broken link or has the zip file been removed? Although it could be a problem at my end I don't really think that's the problem. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

link ok now

[Image: mafra.png]