The Slot

With all the recent developments in map modding, I bet many are wondering if a "Slot" map will be created.

See this thread for info:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 9811032273

I dont fly PTO stuff much because of the lack of good interesting maps such as this.

[Image: the_slot.jpg]

Discuss.

edited: we learned how to edit land and water areas Big Grin .... next thing are objects...

stay tuned
Z

Yes, I'd like a slot map too, maybe tater might be interested too in contributing? But as Zo said, it's still a long way, and clearly a lot of work. Still couples of things to figure, hopefully we will manage with actors.static too...

edited by fly_zo :wink:

So much will be able to be done...

Mission/campaign builders are no longer limited by the maps and objects in situ that were previously available. Maps could be made purely for the mission/campaign. Very specific war combat zones will be able to be created using only the objects and textured areas/forest/roads as deemed by the author.

Will landing strips able to be placed on these new maps? Do we know how to do this yet?

Cheers, Neil Smile

Neil Lowe Wrote:So much will be able to be done...

Mission/campaign builders are no longer limited by the maps and objects in situ that were previously available. Maps could be made purely for the mission/campaign. Very specific war combat zones will be able to be created using only the objects and textured areas/forest/roads as deemed by the author.

Will landing strips able to be placed on these new maps? Do we know how to do this yet?

Cheers, Neil Smile

well we aren't thoroughly conquer land making jet .... so for runways roads and objects please be patient

all the best,

Z

So many possibillities... Can't wait guys, you are all doing such a good job with this! It seems every day something else is discovered..

Quote:so for runways roads and objects please be patient

all the best,

K no probs.

Cheers, Neil

Bumping...

[Image: 800px-Solomon_Islands_Campaign.jpg]

If no one will step up to make this happen, I could do it, but I will need a little more help than what is provided in the map mod discussion thread.

[Image: New-Guinea-Map3.jpg]

ok, he we go!

first i have a question about map size: should it be half-sized?

I was thinking about this earlier. Perhaps not half sized, but maybe would could go for smaller maps concentrating on certain areas. For instance, since we already have a Guadalcanal map, perhaps we could make a map that focuses on the other islands, or portions of islands. I made this last night to see what it would look like if we used the current New Guinea map size:

[Image: slot1.jpg]

Here we have the New Georgia Island, Vella Lavella, Choiseul(did not have any airbases) and part of Bougainville.

I read the whole thread about the slot on Ubi, and they had suggestions to do similar smaller maps. Another idea was to have the east coast of New Guinea and New Britain Island (for Rabaul). Another suggestion was a Bougainville to Rabaul map.

As I already calculated, if we were to use a map size like that of Hawaii, we would be working on a very large territory, even if it is mostly water. The image files would be 7750x5050 pixels. I dont know how that would transfer into loading time, since Hawaii uses a smaller map that concentrates on the islands and tiles the rest with water to get the full 1550x1010km that we have in the game.

I'd have to ask Hawk what the other colours on his map represent in terms of map size. One of them is most likely Kurland. Yellow is Hawaii, Red is New Guinea.

If I can somehow help, count on me. About map size, I think guadalcanal should be there, looking at the way operations went both US and Japanese in the region. Maybe it will not be so bad (loading time, smooth running etc)), given there is a lot of water, and not many towns to suck memory.

Last night i tried to expand map_c.tga of Guadalcanl to include all the Slot and Rabaul. The file was ca. 900 mb and i couldn' work on it!!! then i discovered that it was at 24 bit depth so i have to retry and change it to 8 bit.

i have some other question:

i) how can we adjust maps from google to the right proportion?

ii) how can we make map_R and other unknown .tga types?

OK...lets get the map ideas down:

-Guadalcanal to Bougainville (Buka)
-Bougainville to Rabaul
-Lae (New Guinea) to Rabaul

Textures : Instead of making new ones, we should use the textures from existing PTO maps.

Do we know how to place airfields?

Skunkmeister Wrote:OK...lets get the map ideas down:

-Guadalcanal to Bougainville (Buka)
-Bougainville to Rabaul
-Lae (New Guinea) to Rabaul

Textures : Instead of making new ones, we should use the textures from existing PTO maps.

Do we know how to place airfields?

... do not worry about placing objects and airfields ....

Z

Ok I made an image file the size of the Hawaii map for map_h and map_t, I placed the land masses where they should be, thanks to the SRTM maps. I then used the guadalcanal map_f to compare size and make sure I had the correct scale. This is what I got:

[Image: solomons.jpg]

maybe we could crop out New Britain/New Guinea/New Ireland and have a Solomons only map.

Hey Zo, if we shouldnt worry about placing airfields, how will this map be used then? I suppose the airfields are in actors.static and that hasnt been decrypted yet? It wouldnt be hard anyways, most airfields would be coral, sort of like the airfields in the Desert Online map.