P-47 Thunderbolt cockpit modding references and discussion

~ Dedicated to the proposition that the current Thunderbolt cockpits will be improved upon ~

PreRamble
The current P-47D cockpits can and should be repainted and possibly further modded. Many items are wrongly colored, most notably the red seat in the P-47D/D-27 'bubbletop' variants.

I. Base reference of the current model
The P-47 models in IL-2 Sturmovik were initiated by a team in Brazil and completed by 1C:Maddox Games prior to the the release of Forgotten Battles. The cockpit details seem to be chiefly based on FAB226766 at Museu Aeroespacial do Campo dos Afonsos, Rio de Janeiro. This aircraft was flown by Brazilian forces during WWII and is now Brazil's only flying example of the P-47. The in-game 'bubbletop' variant's cockpit details compare favorably to photographs of FAB226766:

1. Cockpit detail, large photo. Notice that the gunsight's rear is silver and not orange like in the game. (For quick reference, here is an in-game view for comparison.)
2. Panel detail, large photo. (For reference, here is an in-game view of the P-47D-27's panel.)
3. Panel detail, wide angle, large photo.
4. Cockpit detail, medium photo.

I'm uncertain as to the cockpit reference for the P-47D-10/D-22. However, details may be based on images found in Technical Order No. 01-65BC-1, Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for P-47B, -C, -D and -G airplanes (January 20, 1943). This manual is easily found as a PDF on the internet, as a contemporary reprinted book, and as a bonus item on the "How to Fly the P-47 Thunderbolt" DVD from zenosflightshop.com. In addition, excerpted illustrations can be viewed at Zeno's Warbird Drive-in if you go to More Neat P-47 Stuff!

Note the date on this commonly available manual. It is a good reference for the B series (which did not see combat), the C series and the early D series planes. A later manual, published in November 1943 and available on CD-ROM, better represents the later razorback D-models. (The final razorback block was the P-47D-23-RA built concurrently with the P-47D-22-RE.) I'll try to post relevant images from this manual soon. The bubbletop variant production began with the P-47D-25 block and the AAF published a separate series of pilot's flight operating instructions expressly for the bubbletopped series.

II. P-47G cockpit (USAF Museum, Dayton, Ohio)
Curtiss-built P-47s were given a 'G' designation and served as training aircraft during the war; according to P-47 Thunderbolt in Detail & Scale by Bert Kinzey, no G models served in combat and were only used for training and test evaluations. Also according to the book, a Thunderbolt painted as a P-47D "which is on display at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio, is actually a Curtiss built P-47G. Curtiss used Chromate Green primer for the cockpit interior instead of the Dull Dark Green used by Republic...The cockpit in most P-47Gs was almost identical to to those in Republic built P-47D-10-RE razorbacks except the color of the paint."
1. P-47G cockpit detail. Although filed under P-47D at the hosting website, this cockpit matches the photographs of the example published in the book quoted above.
2. P-47G instruments as published in the book. "This photograph shows details of the instrument panel which remains almost completely intact.
3. P-47G rudder pedals. "Note the corrugated floor as compared to the smooth floor in the P-47D-30-RA."
4. P-47G cockpit front left. "Provides a good look at the throttle, control column, and the electrical distribution panel."
5. P-47G throttle quadrant.
6. P-47G cockpit's left, rear corner.
7. P-47G control stick.
8. P-47G cockpit's front, right corner.
9. P-47G cockpit's right, rear corner.
10. P-47G pilot's seat. "The design for the head rest and pilot's armor was different in the razorback Thunderbolts than on the later bubbletops."

III. P-47D-30-RA (Museum of Aviation, Warner Robins, Georgia)
According to P-47 Thunderbolt In Detail & Scale, "P-47D-30-RA, 44-32691, was in service at what is now Robins Air Force Base when it was taken off the line and placed directly in storage for the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins, Georgia. All details in the cockpit, including the Dark Dull Green color, remain exactly as they were when the aircraft was in service. This makes [this aircraft] very valuable as a historical record of the Thunderbolt's cockpit, because no restoration work has been done."
1. D-30 instrument panel.
2. P-47D-30 Mk.VIII gunsight. "Details of the reflector gun sight are visible here. Note also the back-up ring sight mounted on the reflector unit."
3. P-47D-30 control stick. "The control column and rudder pedals were also Dull Dark Green. Note that the floor is smooth rather than being corrugated."
4. P-47D-30 cockpit, left side. "The throttle quadrant and electrical distribution box are the major items on this side along with the trim wheels."
5. P-47D-30 cockpit, right side. "The right side of the cockpit was less cluttered. Thunderbolts built by both Republic lines left the factory with cockpits painted Dull Dark Green rather than Chromate Green used by Curtiss."
6. P-47D-30 seat's headrest. "The top of the pilot's armor and head rest are visible here. The head rest was often black as shown here, but in other cases could be brown or gray."
7. P-47D-30 pilot's seat. "The seat was also painted the Dull Dark Green color. Note that teh shoulder straps are off-white, while the lap belts are khaki."
8. P-47D-30 lap belts. "The pilot sat on his parachute which also served as a cushion in the seat bucket."

IV. P-47M (Yanks Air Museum, Chino, California)
According to P-47 Thunderbolt In Detail & Scale, "The Yanks Air Museum in Chino, California, has a beautifully restored P-47M-1-RE. The paint used in the cockpit matches what factory fresh Dull Dark Green would have looked like."
1. P-47M left instrument panel. Aircraft has a K-14 gunsight.
2. P-47M instrument panel. "The instrument panel in the P-47M was very similar to that in late P-47Ds."
3. P-47M control stick. "The floor in the P-47M was without corrugations."
4. P-47M cockpit, left side. "Most items on the side of the cockpit remain as they had been on the late P-47Ds."
5. P-47M cockpit, right side.

I think it would be nice to have a P47 cockpit with more and better detail, one of my favorites. I think some richer textures would be nice, to me the textures looks a bit schematic, no wonder since it was introduced right at the beginning of il2FB.

More cockpit photos

I. Vintage photos
1. P-47D-5, crash documentation, Sept. 1943. (The aircraft number 42-22534 suggests this is actually a P-47D-2-RA model.)
2. P-47D battle damage, Oct. 1943. The serial number of the plane (42-8614) suggests this is a P-47D-5-RE.
3. P-47D-28 instrument panel, from Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions AN 01-65BC-1A.
4. P-47D-30 instrument panel, from Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions AN 01-65BC-1A.

II. Modern salvage
1. P-47D-4-RA, left cockpit. Aircraft number 42-22687, lost April 1944 during a ferry mission.
2. P-47D-4-RA instrument panel. Aircraft number 42-22687.
3. P-47D-4-RA, left cockpit, electrical distribution box. Aircraft number 42-22687.
4. P-47D-4-RA bullet proof glass and reflector site. Aircraft number 42-22687.

III. Modern restorations
1. "54 Norma," New England Air Museum, CT. Aircraft number 45-49458, a P-47D-40-RA formerly of the Peruvian Air Force, is now displayed as a P-47D-30-RE.
2. "54 Norma," New England Air Museum, CT. Displayed as a P-47D-30-RE.
3. Late production P-47. Modern avionics in the center of the panel should not be confused with WWII era equipment. This could represent a P-47D-40, the only 'D' block Thunderbolt to be factory equipped with the K-14 gunsight, rocket stubs and tail warning radar. (The P-47N series cockpit was very similar but also included an autopilot instrument and an additional fuel gage for the internal wing tanks.)
4. P-47D-40-RA, serial number 45-49385. Served with the Peruvian Air Force. Currently being restored by Westpac Aviation with the goal to make the equipment 100% original.

another good source,

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... b58b398138

[Image: p47_pit_26.jpg]

best I can do is switch shots partner.. Smile

Yep.. Nice one HPD, I've got it installed on my pc.. lovely!

wonderful isn't it? 8)

From the work done already on the 109 by brz and vpmedia,I think we could have a version at least as good as that one,and probably better.

I think so too. 8) I would really like to have a really nice looking cockpit for the P-47 finally. Smile

That screenshot is huge, HPD, and it is stretching the width of the whole page to make everything else almost unreadable. Any chance you could edit your post down to just a link? No offense meant by that because I like the WOP versions also. Smile

Ohh my...a new cockpit for my Jug would be fantastic. This is something I have wanted forever. Could something be done for the Razorbacks to fix the sight location in extra wide view? The way it is now the reticle is hidden by the center bar.

ShadowGravy Wrote:That screenshot is huge, HPD, and it is stretching the width of the whole page to make everything else almost unreadable. Any chance you could edit your post down to just a link? No offense meant by that because I like the WOP versions also. Smile

The joys of a wide screen Wink

Images from WWII Thunderbolt manuals

I. Publication AN 0165-1A, Pilot's Flight Operating Instructions for Army Models P-47D-25, -26, -27, -28, -30 and -35 Airplanes and British Model Thunderbolt (25 January 1945).
* This manual is exclusively for the bubble canopy P-47D models.
** The D-35 block was anticipated but the production series jumped from D-30 to D-40.
1. Switch box for electrically controlled propellors.
2. Main switch box.
3. Engine controls.
4. Fuel tank selector valves.
5. Fuel level correction placard.
6. Bomb arming and tank release handles.
7. Engine primer and cowl flap controls.
8. Bomb and tank release selectors, P-47D-30.
9. Oil cooler and intercooler switches.
10. Oil cooler and intercooler indicators.
11. Trim tab controls, flaps and landing gear levers.
12. Surface controls lock (diagram).
13. Compressibility recovery switch and rudder pedal adjustment.
14. Tailwheel lock.
15. Cockpit vent control.
16. Defroster control and emergency canopy release.
17. Cockpit light and parking brake control.
18. Instrument panel diagram, up through P-47D-28 models.
19. Instrument panel, P-47D-30 and later.
20. Cockpit right.
21. Cockpit left.
22. Radio equipment.
23. Gun safety switch.
24. Bubble canopy controls.

II. Images from AAF Manual No. 50-5, Pilot Training Manual for the Thunderbolt P-47 (March, 1945)
* Various illustrations that may be useful for templates and details.
1. Trim tab controls.
2. Rocket Fire Control Box. -- for 'bazooka' tube launchers.
3. Radio channel selector box.
4. Propellor controls.
5. Engine primer.
6. Light switches and controls.
7. Landing gear lever in neutral position.
8. Landing gear lever in down position.
9. Panel instruments.
10. Gun arming switch.
11. Fuel selectors for P-47D-2 through P-47D-5.
12. Fuel selectors for P-47D-5 through P-47D-15.
13. Fuel selectors for P-47D-15 and subsequent models.
14. Flight instruments.
15. Flaps equalizer, P-47D-10 and earlier.
16. Energizer switch.
17. Detrola unit (for navigation).
18. Contactor clock.
19. Items commonly found on right side of cockpits.
20. Items commonly found on left side of cockpits.
21. More items commonly found on left side of cockpits.
22. Razorback canopy jettison procedure (later models).
23. Razorback canopy emergency procedure (early models).
24. Razorback canopy unlatch procedure.
25. Parking brake release procedure.
26. Bombs and tanks release controls.

III. Illustrations from Thunderbolt parts manual AN 01-65BC-4
1. Reflector gunsight types.
2. K-14 gunsight.
3. Bullet proof glass in Razorback canopy.
4. Razorback canopy assembly diagram.
5. Razorback canopy assembly diagram.
6. Razorback windscreen assembly diagram.
7. Bubble canopy assembly diagram.
8. Pilot's seat assembly.

IV. From AAF Manual 51-127-4, Pilot Training Manual for Thunderbolt P-47N (Sep 1945)
1. P-47N-5 cockpit, left side.
2. P-47N-5 instrument panel.
3. P-47N-5 cockpit, right side.

Has anyone been able to make any progress on the P47 cockpit? This thread seems to be pretty quiet.

Having a pit with all of the authentic instrumentation posted here would be great. But actually I would be thrilled if the edges of the reflector sight could just be smoothed out or replaced.

Does anyone know what tga file contains the reflector?

I am interested in re-skinning the P-47 cockpit(s). I have all of the TGAs and am planning on looking through it and deciding if I want to take it on this weekend.

Just to remove that 'crappy' Hexagon reticle...now that would be beautiful....please?