Increase distance between Pacific Islands possible???

Increase distance between Pacific Islands possible???
Is it possible to increase the distance between the two Pacific Islands?
If so how can i do it? What do i need to manage this?

Maybe someone already did this?

Please help me out... Many thanks in advance!
8)

Yes it's possible, and also very easy, maybe half an hour of work or less. Provided you know how to do it. If you want to do it yourself just start reading the tutorial posts here and so on. Also see the sticky about the map tools, you'll need them.
Have fun! Big Grin

modman Wrote:Increase distance between Pacific Islands possible???
Is it possible to increase the distance between the two Pacific Islands?
If so how can i do it? What do i need to manage this?

Maybe someone already did this?

Please help me out... Many thanks in advance!
8)

thanks Lowfighter :-) ......and after you get basic knowledge ....

step1:
ok , here are all files you'll need :

http://rapidshare.com/files/91138833/pa ... s.rar.html

i did compose map_c.tga for you so in any graphic editor change locations of islands in map_c.tga and edit all those files ( to match new placing)

if you do enlarging (map) make sure that new size be multiple by 32

post results in here ....

afterwards we'll go to step 2

Z

Thanks a lot guys! Big Grin 8)

What do you exactly mean by 'new size be multiple by 32' ?

If i resize the canvas then it wil be 32x1024=32768... that's huge! Real huge! I don't think my pc or Photoshop can handle this... I can make a .PSB but no .TGA with this size...

How can i place the islands on the exact same place for all .TGA files?

Sorry for so many questions but i'am a total noob about this... thanks again!

I think he means..in computing terms....everything runs from 8 to 16/32/64/128/256/512/1024/...etc.

we are using 32 bit systems (mostly)....so just keep things like that

a 1024x1024 map should be doubled to 1536x1536 (1024+512) or 2048x2048 which is four times the size......you get my drift??

Fred is right. In other words if D1 x D2 are number of pixels on map_c then both D1 and D2 should divide exactly with 32.
About exact match there's a simple and fast way to do it if you only want to increase the distance between islands.
Let's say you want it to be 10 times bigger. Let's say the full map_c of the original islands is 256 x 256 pixels.
Create a blank image of size 256 x 2560 pixels (since in our case the two islands are on the south-north axis)
Open original full map_c, select all and copy. Paste in the blank image and move it such that it fills exactly the southern extremity. Paste once again and move such that it fills exactly the northern extremity. Delete the northern island in the southern extremity and delete the southeren island in the northern extremity. Fill everything between the islands with water (black) color. Save as 8 BPP .tga.
Proceed in the same way with the other tga's.

Quick tip on this one.

Similar to what has been posted by lowfighter.

1. Start with map_C as lowfighter has mentioned. Now the sneaky part.

2. Make a copy of your new Map_C. Scale it by 25%, i.e. make it 4 times smaller. Use this as you new base layer, i.e your background. Make layers above it. Keep this file open, but save it as file "Big Map" in case anything goes wrong.

3. Now open up your other maps as one project, i.e layer 1 = map_h, layer 2 = Map_T, layer 3 = map_F, layer 4 = en_02 etc...... Call this map "Cake"

4. Now the sneaky part, cut your first island from file "Cake" including all layers and past into a new layer in file "Big Map" Use the base layer from map_C to position your pasted island.

5. Repeat for all other islands as required. This method should ensure all maps are positioned correctly, and quickly.

6. Now just save out each layer as as a new map_h, map_T etc........ Smile

There are lots of other ways, but this one should work quite well. Just remember that certain maps will be greyscale, other RGB and some have an alpha channel. So save your layers out appropriately

Happy Mapping

CW

Sounds like a way to improve the stock Singapore map- at the very least, it needs expanding southwards to add Pulau Blakang Mati (now Sentosa), Pulau Bukom and part of the Riouw Archipelago. Not to mention that it should have gone up all the way to Kota Bharu in the north....... plus considerable improvements to Singapore Island itself- RN Dockyard, Keppel Harbour etc.

Okay... I made a map_c 16384PX x 16384PX in Grayscale, map_F (RGB ), T (Grayscale ), H (Grayscale )ed_m01 (RGB ) and ed_m02 (RGB )are now 4096PX x 4096PX in size.
I could not open map_R... Because of error.

When i saved as a .tga a message poped up if i wanted to save in resolution: 16, 24, 32 bits/ pix. i choose 24... (ai, ai, ai??? )

ed_m01 is also 4096PX x 4096PX in size but now the islands are bigger than , for instance, on map_F. So i don't now if this is a good thing. :roll:

So... if i did all these steps correct, what is the next step?

I also like to thank every one very much for giving me advise and help. You are the spirits who keep this great sim alive. Even more alive than it already was.

modman Wrote:Okay... I made a map_c 16384PX x 16384PX in Grayscale, map_F (RGB ), T (Grayscale ), H (Grayscale )ed_m01 (RGB ) and ed_m02 (RGB )are now 4096PX x 4096PX in size.
I could not open map_R... Because of error..

looks ok , don't worry for map_R ... for now
Quote:When i saved as a .tga a message poped up if i wanted to save in resolution: 16, 24, 32 bits/ pix. i choose 24... (ai, ai, ai??? ) .

24bit is ok for ed 01/02- maps

Quote:ed_m01 is also 4096PX x 4096PX in size but now the islands are bigger than , for instance, on map_F. So i don't now if this is a good thing. :roll:

not sure what you mean bigger islands ... how did you make map_c ?

Quote:So... if i did all these steps correct, what is the next step?

next step : PM your mail address .... to send you tools

cheers,

Z
p.s. thanks for kind words....

modman,

ed_m02 = map_h in size. ed_m03 is half this size and map ed_m01 is twice the size. The aircraft map and the FMB seems to choose either ed_m01, 2 or 3 depending on the amount of "zoom" you have selected. You can get away without ed_m01 by removing or commenting out its entry in the load.ini, not sure about the others.

CW

I made map_c, map_F, map_H, ed_m02.tga files but how can i make from these .tga files a map?

I really don't understand this. I put these .tga files in a folder, give the folder a name and then how do i see it as a map in Full Mission Builder?

Can someone please explain it to me how i make a map which is combined with several already existing maps. I made four .tga files (map_c, map_F, map_H, ed_m02.tga ) with combined maps of Tarawa. Okinawa, Japan, Midway and Pacific Islands. So, again, how can i make this visible in FMB.... :?

Thanks in advance!

modman,

Basic files you need in your map's folder are:

map_h.tga (your height map, each pixel = 200m, greyscale)
map_T.tga (your texture map, each pixel = 200m, greyscale)
map_c.tga (your water map, each pixel = 50m, greyscale) note: need tools from fly_zo to make this from your original "Water" map.
map_C.tga_table (your water map description file) note: tools from fly_zo automatically make this when they are used to make your map_C.
map_F.tga (your "far" map, each pixel = 200m, colour) note, just colour it all green for the moment
en_01.tga (your flight/FMB map, each pixel = 100m, colour)
en_02.tga (your flight/FMB map, each pixel = 200m, colour)
en_03.tga (your flight/FMB map, each pixel = 400m, colour)
actors.static (describes locations of objects such as airfields and buildings)
text.txt (shows names against towns, airfields etc)
load.ini (describes what textures to use, water shading, temperatures, lighting etc)

Now, lets say you called this folder "Pacific_Islands_2". In your maps folder where you have placed this there should be a file called all.ini. Open it up with a text editor and add the following line to it:

Pacific_Islands_2 Pacific_Islands_2/load.ini

This tells IL2 you have a map file called Pacific_Islands_2 and to allow you to load it in FMB.

By the sounds of what you have done so far you need to PM fly-zo and ask if he will allow you the tools. Tools are earned in this forum, i.e, you contribute to the forum you get the tools! In this case I would suggest posting images of your work to date.

Hopefully this helps.

CW

... i did send him tools Big Grin

All i need is his prefix .....one that he will use in customizing file names

and CW, i only wish i have your abilities for explaining things and making tutorials ..... many thanks

Z

Okay i give up... However i got .psd of several maps combined. So if someone is interested, just let me know and i send it to you.

Map size= 800x 800 + km...

Thanks all for your patience and effort!!! Specialy fly_zo!!!