Navigation tool - Compass Rose

OK, this isn't a mod or anything, but I thought it would be a good place to put it. I've created a printable Compass Rose that can be used to plot course headings. Can be used on printed maps or held up to monitor screen map in online flights. Especially useful when in Dedicated DF servers that are FULL SWITCH (No map icons) and feature Pacific maps where there are few or no physical landmarks to navigate with. There's no telling how many times I've seen a player enter a game and text, "what's the course heading to target". With this rose you can put it up to the screen over the mission map in the briefing and plot the course quickly, before you hit the "Fly" button.

RAR file includes printable .jpg file and .txt readme with brief instructions on how to prepare and use the rose.

http://rose3.rar

DISCLAIMER:
Creator excepts no responsibilty for loss of life or limb, or instances of MIA due to misuse or misreading of offered Compass Rose.

sound like a good idea...welcome to the dark side Big Grin

I've been away from teh sim for almost 2 years and just getting back and playing catchup.

Before I was "grounded" by poor connection (still am) I flew in Zekes vs Wildcats server allot. Just before they went full switch, I found a rose online and made it up similar to how this one is. I took screen shots of their mission maps, did some trimming and added a scaled Legend with Kilometers/Statute miles (couldn't find one with Nautical miles but could convert fairly easy). Printed them out and put in loose leaf notebook. Made it reasonably easy to Navigate by "Dead Reckoning".

Just incase anyone doesn't know what a compass rose looks like, or wants to know what this one looks like, here's a link to the image.

http://gallery.filefront.com/Outryder/127808/

Is this compass rose commercially available? I dont think I've ever seen one like that.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

If you mean is there a fee for it's use, no. I created this one from scratch in my photo/image editor. I'm sharing it with the community. It's freeware.

Unless you just WANT to pay for it. I'll have to get back to you on that. LOL

No no..I meant if to ask if it was a commercially available one that you copied. I do have a Douglas protractor, but this thing would be cool to have on a sheet of hard plastic as well.

TEAM PACIFIC

OK, no. I didn't copy any one elses rose. Compass Roses are pretty much the same, with 360 degree markings all around. Cosmetic styles may be different from one creator to the other, but all will have the same key features. Those key features are about all I gave this one.

If you'll DL the RAR file from the beginning of this thread, it includes the image and readme file. The readme are simple instructions on how to print, prepare and use the rose. It must be printed on clear transparency so you can see through it, to the map you lay it on, or to the onscreen map in mission briefings. (I preffer to capture the briefing maps and print them out, for "full switch" DF servers.)

These files DO NOT go in the IL2 folder. put them in you picture, or document folder for access.

In which folder I have to put "rose" ? There is not any information in readme file.

Outryder Wrote:These files DO NOT go in the IL2 folder. put them in you picture, or document folder for access.

TEAM PACIFIC

Thanks Skunk, for helping Whisky out.

I was thinking. Since this sim is enjoyed by a multinational community, and there is a posibility of language barriers, Would someone like to do a translated version of this rose? I coulld make another one without the numbers if someone could add them in different language. Biggest problem I see is Asian simmers who may need charactures rather than arabic numeration.

BTW, those of you that have DL'd the rose, how is it working out for you?

Ok, my mistake Big Grin
It will be great if heave something like this in game.

Big Grin
WHAT WE NEED IS A COMPASS ROSE WE CAN USE IN FMB!!
some way to get headings in mis map making.
any ideas? :?

Put it into the map, have it link to the compass on your plane somehow..

You can use the rose at the top of this thread for that purpose. The file is to be printed on clear transparency so it can be seen through (Follow the instructions in the rosereadme file included with the image file). Simply hold the rose up to the monitor screen while in FMB and plot the course heading as needed.

This Compass rose can also be used in the same manner with the briefing maps in DF servers and on the inflight map. It can also be used on printed maps in the same way.

But PLEASE don't try using this rose to navigate your next cross country REAL flight in your Cessna. I don't gaurantee it's accuracy that much!!!!!!!! :lol: