Map texture .tga files (Re: Chroma key map mod)

Ive been attempting "Green Screen" map, but having problems getting map to run with a new texture

Terrain mods work using textures from original (vp_sandsoftime "vp_load.ini")
Quote:[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = land/summer/grnd/fields_sand3.tga //land/summer/Grnd/fields_proc015_512.tga
LowLand1 =
LowLand2 = land/summer/grasssand.tga //land/summer/Grnd/fields_proc021_512.tga,2
LowLand3 = land/summer/Grnd/GRND_04gr.tga

Added pure green tga and tried it in various paths - with necessary folder structure, but get load error or CTD
Quote:
[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = land\summer\ChromaKey\GrnChroma.tga
LowLand1 = land\summer\ChromaKey\GrnChroma.tga
LowLand2 = land\summer\ChromaKey\GrnChroma.tga
LowLand3 = land\summer\ChromaKey\GrnChroma.tga

I'm using a 24 bit 256x256px 72ppi tga @ 256kb

Tried digging deeper with the extractor , but couldn't find any map textures with it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated by a number of movie makers, both here and at that other place.

well, i tried 8 bit 256x256 green tga for replacing ground and cloud textures. And ONLY thing left to know - how to replace texture which appearing as a white gradient at the horizon line.
All other landscape/sky looks nice green Smile
But the correct way is to create a brand new map w/o any water/hill/airfild. And construct two load.inin files: one for flying with normal textures(for correct alttitude cheking) and second for video grabbing with green(or blue) textures. Or use Empty1a map, which has only 4 airfilds.
here's sample image(almost enough, yeah?) :
[Image: green_screen.jpg][/img]

My map_T and map_H are working (raising the horizon tp 3000m should help Smile )

But I cant get any texture to show from the load.ini.

[Image: map_T_Map_H.gif]

If you've created new textures (and if i'm getting your ptoblem right Wink ),your textures must be at 512x512 or 1024x1024,and at 32 bit color,and without RLE.

I/JG54_Gringo Wrote:If you've created new textures (and if i'm getting your ptoblem right Wink ),your textures must be at 512x512 or 1024x1024,and at 32 bit color,and without RLE.

Dogeaters using 8 bit - think there's something else I'm missing here

Was trying to recall how my last failed map experiment happened :LOL:

[Image: maps1.gif]

Fisneaky Wrote:Dogeaters using 8 bit - think there's something else I'm missing here
I had troubles with brand new textures many times. Now i prefer to open original texture. This time i used Cloud256.tga (or something alike) and it apperared grayscale in photoshop. Well, i'm just convert it to RGB, fill it with 0,255,0 and convert it to indexed color with windows palette (do you remember, what all skins are same 8 bit textures?)
All textures i placed at the _TEX folder in mod/maps folder(no additional path in texture name in config file), and they loaded correctly.
Next step was to replace as mach as possible textures in load.ini. I can't replay water, noise and some forrest textures(due map loading failure).
Does anybody knows, were(or how) to find out load.ini file for Empty1a map? Or ask smb to create a new empty map set for this mod?

DogEater Wrote:
Fisneaky Wrote:Dogeaters using 8 bit - think there's something else I'm missing here
I had troubles with brand new textures many times. Now i prefer to open original texture. This time i used Cloud256.tga (or something alike) and it apperared grayscale in photoshop. Well, i'm just convert it to RGB, fill it with 0,255,0 and convert it to indexed color with windows palette (do you remember, what all skins are same 8 bit textures?)
All textures i placed at the _TEX folder in mod/maps folder(no additional path in texture name in config file), and they loaded correctly.
Next step was to replace as mach as possible textures in load.ini. I can't replay water, noise and some forrest textures(due map loading failure).
Does anybody knows, were(or how) to find out load.ini file for Empty1a map? Or ask smb to create a new empty map set for this mod?
Empty1A load.ini:

[MAP]
ColorMap = map_c.tga
HeightMap = map_h.tga
SmallMap = map_M.tga
TypeMap = map_T.tga
FarMap = map_F.tga
ReflMap = map_R.tga

[LIGHT]
LandLight = LandLight.mat
CloudShadows = CloudShadows.mat

[MAP2D]
ed_m02.tga
ed_m01.tga

[WORLDPOS]
CAMOUFLAGE = SUMMER
MONTH=7
DECLIN = 54
PRESSURE = 745
TEMPERATURE = 17

[CUBE]
Down = Cube_bott.tga
East = Cube_right.tga
North = Cube_front.tga
South = Cube_back.tga
Up = Cube_top.tga
West = Cube_left.tga

[static]
actors.static
[text]
texts.txt

[WOOD]
Wood0 = forest/summer/Wood0.tga
Wood1 = forest/summer/Wood1.tga
Wood2 = forest/summer/Wood2.tga
Wood3 = forest/summer/Wood3.tga
Wood4 = forest/summer/Wood4.tga
WoodMask2 = forest/summer/ForestMask.tga
WoodMask3 = forest/summer/ForestMask2.tga
WoodMiniMasks = forest/summer/MiniMask.tga
SideWood = forest/summer/ForestSide.tga

[APPENDIX]
HighClouds = Clouds256.tga
HighCloudsNoise = CloudsNoise.tga
Moon = Moon\Moon0000.tga
// CloudsMap = CloudMap4x4km.tga
ShadeNoise = land/Noise.tga
WaterNoise = water/WaterNoise.tga
WaterNoiseAnimStart = Water/Animated/WaterNoise00.tga
ForestNoise= forest/summer/ListForestNoise.tga
BeachFoam = water/Foam.tga
BeachSurf = water/BeachSurf.tga
BeachLand = water/RiverLand.tga

Tree0 = Trees\AlteredBush8a.tga
TreeLightMask = Trees\LightM256.tga

[WATER]
Water = water/Water.tga

[ROADS]
Rail = land/summer/Rail
Road = land/summer/Road
Highway = land/summer/Highway

[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = land/summer/LowLand_1.tga,2
LowLand1 = land/summer/LowLand_2.tga
LowLand2 =
LowLand3 =
MidLand0 = land/summer/midland.tga
MidLand1 =
MidLand2 =
MidLand3 =
Mount0 = land/summer/midland.tga
Mount1 =
Mount2 =
Mount3 =
Country0 = land/summer/bigcountry.tga
Country1 = land/summer/countries.tga
Country2 = land/summer/factory.tga
Country3 = land/summer/factoryC.tga
City0 = land/summer/DownCity.tga
City1 = land/summer/MidCity.tga
City2 = land/summer/CenterCity.tga
City3 =
AirField0= land/summer/airfieldGr.tga
AirField1=
AirField2=
AirField3=
Wood0 = forest/summer/forestGr.tga
Wood1 =
Wood2 = forest/summer/ForestFar.tga
Wood3 =
Water0 = water/water.tga
Water1 = water/water.tga
Water2 = water/CoastLine.tga
Water3 = water/Beach.tga

kapteeni Wrote:Empty1A load.ini:
thx a lot. as FC says, there is no big difference between this load.ini and load.ini i played with. So i just create new folder named Empty1A and place my own load.ini there.
And then I has a miracle: no hills, no rivers, no roads, just theese 4 airstrips.
Exlellent but not enough.
Looks like airstrip textures cannot be altered from load.ini parameters. The way is to backup m\Mods\MAPMODS\3do\airfield\ground\ folder (as original_ground) and prepare same list of testures, but filled green(same was as i wrote before). non that theese textures are RGB color.
And at this time i just need to remove horizon line to be copletely happy. Big Grin

BTW, as i guess, all texture path begins from game_root\Mods\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex, then i mkdir "chromakey", place there my green256.tga (to separate them of tex root folder) and write every texture into load.ini as "chromakey/green256.tga"

DogEater Wrote:And at this time i just need to remove horizon line to be copletely happy. Big Grin

BTW, as i guess, all texture path begins from game_root\Mods\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex, then i mkdir "chromakey", place there my green256.tga (to separate them of tex root folder) and write every texture into load.ini as "chromakey/green256.tga"

Try this as map_H

[Image: croma_map_h.png]

I've still had no luck with textures.

Kapteeni suggested snow textures in another thread, maybe a winter map could have advantages.

(Lol, we all know about "yellow snow" , what about green snow?)

Fisneaky Wrote:Try this as map_H
try it ASAP
Fisneaky Wrote:I've still had no luck with textures.
I don't have any trouble. Unfortunatly, this forum not allowed direct attach. I'll try to grab my textures and directory structure in one archive.
Fisneaky Wrote:Kapteeni suggested snow textures in another thread, maybe a winter map could have advantages.

(Lol, we all know about "yellow snow" , what about green snow?)
White color is not suitable color for keying, because it is mixture for other three components, and pure white probably may appear in any skin, and will be keyed off.
Anyway, we have to try, does not we?

DogEater Wrote:try it ASAP
here's the result: water become a wall!!!
[Image: sandsoftime_green.jpg]
that's what I was mean because of the use of a flat map without water. Looks like wall possibly inherited properties of water, and water textures too.
and what about trees in perfect mode? When i turn it off, there is a brown stripe apperar below a horizon line.
Another little thing is some patchwork over ground(it can modify solid color) - how we can remove it?
Still i think, perfect idea is a map without anything exept flat ground and with your wall, overlapping white horrizon.
Can we create same map_h.tga special for empty1a map?

DogEater Wrote:
DogEater Wrote:try it ASAP
here's the result: water become a wall!!!
that's what I was mean because of the use of a flat map without water. Looks like wall possibly inherited properties of water, and water textures too.
and what about trees in perfect mode? When i turn it off, there is a brown stripe apperar below a horizon line.

I mentioned the snow with the thought that a winter map may make a better base for the mod, but use your green texture.

I got a black wall on the water with sands of time too

Fisneaky Wrote:I mentioned the snow with the thought that a winter map may make a better base for the mod, but use your green texture.

I got a black wall on the water with sands of time too
Snow map will be good idea, because lightess settings of the ground may be without that stains (you can see it at the last screen).
Could you create new map_h.tga same "bowl" type for empty1a or empty1b? We need texture size for that small maps.
Another advantage of small map: angle of view will be larger at the small map rather the big map with same height of border walls.
Do you know about maximum height of the lanscape in game engine? The 3000 meters height - is it a limit or just your example?

White 255,255,255 is maximum height and 3km is what it delivered.

Afaik all map_h.tga are 256x256 65 kb

So the map_h I posted should work on any map if you DL and save as tga.

Fisneaky Wrote:Afaik all map_h.tga are 256x256 65 kb

default smolensk map_h.tga is 960x832 8bit grayscale ..... NWeurope : 520x400 ....

cheers
Z