Map suggestions

1. A complete set of maps for the Eastern front with overlaps so you could fly from one map area to another (takeoff and land).

2. Summer & winter maps of all Eastern front would have been nice as well.

3. Hopefully, as Map mods progress some map mod builders will pick up the guantlet and do some semi-historically correct map sets of the default maps. The towns and airbases as so pristine and surreal. It's like flying in a Disneyland, not a countries at war.

------------------------------

+1

I'd like to see a map wich covers most of the JG54 area of operations, say from Leningrad down to Demyansk...

Oh yesss! Now campaigns would be far more realistic.

Also one idea crossed my mind some time ago... Autumn maps. Is it possible? I think it would improve game's realism as some of battles took place in autumn...

And also winter textures for some of existing maps would be nice - it's strange to intercept American bombers over Berlin in January 1945 with green grass below you...

I would like to see the eastern front and the battle of britiain with those slovakia airfields.

+100 for this.

I'd like to see the Slot finished. Those Team Pacific guys are taking FOREVER.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

How 'bout all of PNG & New Ireland?

Skunkmeister Wrote:I'd like to see the Slot finished. Those Team Pacific guys are taking FOREVER.

Tell me about it! :roll: :lol:

Skunkmeister Wrote:I'd like to see the Slot finished. Those Team Pacific guys are taking FOREVER.

watch it mister .... i don't want to see any posts complaining about work of our great teams

i'll report this to leader of Slot team ASAP !

now you are in trouble :evil:

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Z

I'd really like to see some good quality eastern front maps but:
It's hard to find documentation, pics or maps of eastern front airfields towns etc. I've been searching for quite a while the internet some years ago and with very poor results.It's not about creating accurate maps but about conveying the right feeling. Maybe a russian speaker could have more success or maybe Russians already started doing this only we didn't know. Maybe it's good to post a call for russian speakers on the general discussion.
Another thing for skinners: creating a couple of more town buildings with "Russian architecture" , the russian buildings are very few.
Another difficulty: textures representing the steppe/uncultivatetd areas which were quite large. Steppe is boring even in real life lol so then it'd be hard to create good steppe textures.
If you think about beautiful Slovakia: it is beautiful because of the a)varied landscape and varied textures, b) because most of the flatland is covered with very nice crop textures because c)the towns and villages are looking credible. With Russia a) and b) are not possible for most regions (Crimea and Kuban have quite interesting landscapes though.)

I agree about large open areas in Russia.

The towns, harbors and airbases are pretty meagerly done. The airbases, towns and harbors look so much alike... and nothing like what they actually were.

Close to realistic may be enough to get more immersive feel out of the default maps.

I think any dedicated efforts to the maps to improve the objects layouts around action areas would be an improvement.

When Oleg released the IL2 computer power was nothing like today. He just watered down the ground objects to allow for better air combat play. It was the best there was at the time.

There is allot of ground being covered now in the WIP
Great job guys!

Wish list

A Moscow map with Moscow in it would be nice.
Germany/Poland 1939
A Belgium map that covers Market Garden and the Bulge.
A desert map with Gazala & Tobruk
A Sicily Map

3 Words:

...arctic

...convoy

...map

TS

nearmiss Wrote:When Oleg released the IL2 computer power was nothing like today. He just watered down the ground objects to allow for better air combat play. It was the best there was at the time.

Probably some compromise as to what you could actually fit on a CD back then too.

I love this section of the forums and check it regularly, I've downloaded my pick of the new maps like crazy and they're absolutely fantastic. Great work fellers, awesome stuff!

Malta was conspicuously missing, and I can't wait for Canon's BoB map. Love the retexturing work and default map updates, top stuff Istvan and others!

I also have a long time wish list, but realise that I should spend the effort and time to learn to do at some of them myself. That would take a while though.

Rabaul (New Britain) is a key area of the South Pacific. But this is difficult since as the target of air operations launched from Guadalcanal and New Guinea this map would ideally be so huge it would include those locations for a full, multiple hour flight operation of genuine historical feeling. It would have to be a big map and should include Lae in western Papua/New Guinea which was the other main Japanese airbase of the region. This would open both USMC mid-war and US 5th Air Force and RAAF campaigns right up to make a seriously immersive and historical South Pacific experience. As it is only small field bases are available for Japanese campaigning in New Guinea and you just have to spawn in the air for ground based air operations against US Guadalcanal.
Perhaps the object count could be kept minimal to keep fps with such a large scale but I think, significant project?

Large area maps of Belgium and the Ruhr would also be very well received (i.e. north-western Germany and the Low Countries), for western front late war mission building and campaigns. Sort of like the way the Berlin map stretches into south-western Poland and gives a nice area for the late Eastern Front. But the Berlin map doesn't stretch into north-west areas very much, and the Ardennes map is very small and localised, which altogether cripples historical and immersive western Front campaign building.

The Malta map has been provided and that was another big point. I love it and am very thankful.

An immersive and it seems sizeable Channel map is in progress so fantastic for that, naturally I've downloaded the improvised Channel maps so far featured and like them very much. We're all obviously on the same page about what improves il2 tremendously and that is awesome.

A Philippines map would be fantastic (better if included Formosa), I don't think I'm saying anything people don't already know here.

And Tokyo but that's a tricky one because central Japan was assaulted out of the Marianas and Iwo Jima, so an all round flight operation would again have to be a tremendously huge and probably prohibitive map size, out to Iwo Jima at least. Is there some way of combining existing maps to form much larger ones which include those locations?

Southern operations at the Eastern Front have been taken care of with the latest official patch and that was oh so very welcome. Oleg and the team did a great job there. Of course a Belarus map with some of eastern Poland is missing if you want to fly for Army Group Centre. Perhaps that could be large enough to include all of Poland and its German border. And Moscow itself, there were some Luftwaffe assaults on it. The north Eastern Front is beautifully taken care of between Kurland Peninsula and Gulf of Finland maps.

Northern Germany and East Prussia is conspicuously missing, this is where all the Kriegsmarine bases are. It also runs into Poland so maybe this could be the map which has Poland/Germany and a bit of Belarus? At any rate many Allied strategic targets would be found on such a map.

Last but not least, Tunisia Big Grin

Vanir, thanks for the suggestions for the PTO maps, Team Pacific is already looking into these future projects.

But with our experience with the Slot, a Rabaul map that includes a large portion of New Guinea would be way too big to be workable.

Your suggestion of the Philippines with Formosa is an interesting one, but that map would be so huge that it would be impractical to create. As it is the Slot is a real resource hog when working out coastlines and textures, so I wouldn't imagine how big of a problem the Philippines would be to create, as it would be more than 8 times the size of the Slot map.

I'm just saying that these suggestions are really good ones, but they will require careful planning to get something that is both workable and playable in the game.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC