Modded maps compatibility.

Ok today I downloaded two grate betas. Cannons Channel map and Fabianfreds Thailand. It hapens that I need t change the Static ini file for each map to save missions.

Now I think that Static.inis shoud be merged into an all in one static ini, and stuff added to this base static ini. If not no map will be compatible with others maps... And it really frustrating to have to @dance with the files every time soemthing new is nstalled.

I think that sticking to standard objects should be a rule, and when adding new objetcts, thsi should be merged into the Base static. ini and test compatibility with al previous existing maps...

By the way, where is that tool that lets you compare txt files?....

I hope I am not being too harsh, and by no means am I criticicing your work. I think map modders do a grate job, but they need more cohesion and maybe a person to standarize maps...as Air.ini is standarized for new planes and stuff.

I agree something has to be made about it especially as this is still just the beginning, probably even more ground object mods will come in time...

The software is called 'WinMerge'

I reckon that as long as the map maker gives a complete list of necessary static.ini entries, it should be fine. I had all this hooha over my map simply because I missed one entry.

There are still some strange things which we don't understand........yesterday I could get the channel map to save and play, after I deleted all the airfield waypoints......there were still all the objects and runaway red arrow icons in place....I still didn't have the blister hanger....but it ran OK...!! wierd

When the kwajelein map came out I couldn't save with the normal FMB, but I could with the FMB+....then Fly_zo opened it in Unlocked FMB and said he deleted a red arrow runaway icon from one end of each strip...after that he and others using his new actors static were able to save and fly.
However using his fix I still couldn't save with the normal FMB......The next day I could save and play with both normal and FMB+...without having changed anything (I went back to original actors static).

At the moment I have my static ini set-up like this.......

First are all the default stuff in the original order....except I moved all the airfield Plates and Kronstadt plates to the bottom.
Next I put all the new mod stuff in their own sections with their own new headings..... eg.

//===========================================================================
[***]
Title Trees&Plants

[***]
Title Mods

[***]
Title Flags

[***]
Title Canons Objects

helps keep it all tidy Big Grin

... nothing much can be done here , canonuk's approach is ok IMHO .... object folder with prefix and instructions for editing static.ini

any auto installer i could make would sort static.ini alphabetically and i don't think that's a good idea

anyway , at d/l thread must be clear warning for inexperienced users

as for location of static.ini i'm pretty sure all types of mods will place it to STD folder in near future

-------

let's see what other have to say about this .... before making guidelines

regards
Z

As I posted in Channel map post-
Fisneaky Wrote:Trooper-

There should be no problems combining all mods that use the static.ini. Problems only seem to arise when 2 or more copies of the static file are floating around (or not updated to 4.09)

Since the new static aircraft mod (for new slot AC ,spit mk 1 etc.) all these:-
chief, ships,static, stationary and technics ini files should all be together in the same place and are safest put in

Mods\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects

For easy checking winmerge can help - use with caution

http://winmerge.org/
Be careful with winmerge sometimes a block will overwrite where you don't want it to.

seems to happen with large files (like my 1200 object statics ) for the most part it will do the job correctly , but Make backups first and if necessary do a manual copy/paste where it gets out of sync ( also happens with APT edit which I'm using and doesn't seem to be a way around it.)

I concur with Fred that getting them in to some kind of order would be the best way to go (and avoid some of the minor issues I found using filemerge software that I've encountered while sorting out my entries for the Channel and Freds Thailand) .

In the normal run of things I'd just use Freds static; which covers most things now. I've got a "WIP" section in mine. Perhaps those of us doing mods using these files could start working from a common base (theres already been discussion on location). It would be helpful for mission builders to have stuff grouped more logically together. Also there are a few double entries in the original Il2 (dummy planes and some fences etc.) that could probably be dispensed with.

My objects list now runs to 1300+ items . There is probably an upper limit to what is practical (mainly affecting load time in FMB).

Triyed filemerge just combining both Cannosn, and Fabianfreds Inis, and Thailand works OK, but neither channel nor Falklands will save... With cannosn everithing works except thailand....

A well I guess I

[quote="Baco1170"]Triyed filemerge just combining both Cannosn, and Fabianfreds Inis, and Thailand works OK, but neither channel nor Falklands will save... With cannosn everithing works except thailand....

A well I guess I

my static ini in the morning didn't contain the new blister...but then I updated it later in the day

I shall keep it updated every time I make any changes from now on.....

Having too much in your static.ini....some stuff which you don't have folders for...cannot be a problem....those things just will not show in your FMb objects list

it is not having them that is the problem...surely?

[quote="Fisneaky"][quote="Baco1170"]Triyed filemerge just combining both Cannosn, and Fabianfreds Inis, and Thailand works OK, but neither channel nor Falklands will save... With cannosn everithing works except thailand....

A well I guess I

...guys, using other people's static.ini files isn't good idea (different systems, mods, destruction data ....)

get yourself default static.ini ( up with 4.09b1m objects) and learn how to update it for new mods

regards
Z

Great idea fly_zo. Perhaps we could get a sticky post somewhere with a defualt 4.08 and 4.09b1 static.ini available for downlaod. And also add instructions on where it needs to be installed. I have seen several members complaining of not having the file in the MODS folder. When the question is posed again, they could simply be directed to that thread.

Just a thought.

Fay King Wrote:Great idea fly_zo. Perhaps we could get a sticky post somewhere with a defualt 4.08 and 4.09b1 static.ini available for downlaod. And also add instructions on where it needs to be installed. I have seen several members complaining of not having the file in the MODS folder. When the question is posed again, they could simply be directed to that thread.

Just a thought.

jup m8 , i agree .... its in the process of creating .... we have concluded preliminary agreement ( structure etc.) and tutorial should be soon available ...

for more :

viewtopic.php?t=5389

cheers
Z

fly_zo Wrote:...guys, using other people's static.ini files isn't good idea (different systems, mods, destruction data ....)

get yourself default static.ini ( up with 4.09b1m objects) and learn how to update it for new mods

regards
Z

ok, but if I want to use the destruction mod (which I like a lot) then I need to keep that static.ini (+ other ini files)

for example I cannot install the ShipPack because that ini files arent compatible with the destruction mod so I think the right solution would be to make later mods compatible with it or at least an optional sub-version

vpmedia Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:...guys, using other people's static.ini files isn't good idea (different systems, mods, destruction data ....)

regards
Z

ok, but if I want to use the destruction mod (which I like a lot) then I need to keep that static.ini (+ other ini files)

for example I cannot install the ShipPack because that ini files arent compatible with the destruction mod so I think the right solution would be to make later mods compatible with it or at least an optional sub-version

You could disable the "ships.ini" part of the destruction mod and still use the static.ini with the destruction mod data. (there is no static.ini in ship pack - so thats not where the conflict lies).

Move them to the STD\com.... path too and ensure no duplicates exist.