Bring on the 1:1 maps!

When I first read this post it aroused a good deal of ire and I was tempted to respond with a plethora of relevant points, in an effort to educate the author on the ins-and-outs of actually completing a viable, functioning IL2 map. Instead, I'll settle for just three:

1. You've got a lot of nerve m8.
2. The ignorance contained in your original post is "...the stuff of legends".
3. Walk a mile in the shoes of any map maker here, and then come back and tell us how to do it right.

Game. Set. Match.

Ok, i agree only in the liking of 1:1 maps. But i totally disagree with the way of expressing it. Come on!, Map making is very time consuming and these guys are using their free time to make hight quality work for everyone and for free!. Apart of the technical/Engine/etc... problems.

Ill go for 1:1 all the way. But dont complain of 1/2 or 3/4 maps. Mostly are that way because ITS the only way to get the areas in one map. Not because the mapmakers are lazy or stupids...

Anyway...
FA_Cheech said it all...

Touche!

Have a look at this thread
viewtopic.php?p=49681#49681
50000 is not much for a large 1:1 map of NW Europe. On the Northeast France map I am working to an object "budget" of about 1.5 million objects. I am currently working to finish the southeast quarter of the map. At present the object count in this quarter is 350000. --- And yes. You can still fly over it with reasonable FPS on an average capability PC.

I understand your enthusiasm for 1:1 scale maps....... but even at that scale the limits of the game engine are frustrating....with one pixel being equal to 50 metres many things IRL just get glossed over and missed out.......especially annoying are the rivers..

Lal_Rone and Fishsneaky seem to have many of the buildings nicely re-skinned, but there are always other areas to have a go at...

the extra vehicle and tank columns has already been done and is the easiest mod for anyone to make themselves..... but maybe you could try importing new vehicles or similar....a towed 88mm AA/AT gun would be nice

TGB files are just high detail versions of the TGA file....usually the tga is 1mb. and the tgb is 4 mb.
just rename the tgb to tga and edit it..then rename to tgb after

HI, Well I use to think like that: 1.1 is best! Still do but...

But I started slowlly but surelly trying to make maps...
The other day I succeded! YES i got my map_c, h and t, and the minimaps, load ini, and even the Static thing!

I was dying in atcipation, I mean, I love new maps and every time I download one from here is like crsitmas to me.. but this was MY job, My baby!...

It is a 1.1 Falkland Malvinas map, since I LOVE and Will be eternally gratefull to Darko for doing his map, but yes its 1.4 in scale, so I wanted to see what would 1.1 look like....

And well I loaded it, and.. it takes 2.05 hours to cross to the islands.. and yes I did bring them closer to the main continen by a lot of kilometers.. Still it

OK, let's start over again...

apology accepted, no harm done.

Nice to meet you, m8, welcome to the wonderful world of IL2 Map MODs.

We look forward to seeing what you have to offer, and if there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask. 8)

Thailand is 3:4 ...1:1 wouldn't work

Im against 1:1 scale maps because I dont like flying for hours in an empty virtual enviroment

Smaller maps are easier to populate, etc...

If you dont like the size of a city you got the tools of make it bigger Smile

as tempteing as 1:1 sounds am also with vpmedia here.
the long distance flying times are not my favorite thing either.

what needs to be addressed frommy point of view is not bigger maps. Man there si crazy stuff already done and in the making i never dreamt of! It is taht all the great stroytellers and mission makers should be motivated to come over to fill all those maps and new planes we already have with life.

We need the stories being told that happened on those maps and with the planes, campaignmakers, template makers. epic campaigns for epic maps!
IMO Wink

110G - when you start to produce the things you are talking about then maybe I'll pay attention to your very negative posts. Until you have produced even a shred of something useful - a single mission, for example, I'm just going to ignore you. Either moderate your language and be grateful for what people willingly give up a lot of their free time to make for you - for FREE - or shut up or CONTRIBUTE.

It costs nothing to be polite, does it!.. :wink:

You really don't have a clue do you?

Look mate, you have nothing to prove here.. It doesn't matter if you contribute or not.
What does matter is the way you write your posts..
You come across as extremely arrogant..
You appear to be making demands not suggestions.
It seems as if you want to have maps done in the way you want and totaly disrespect any other ideas..
English is probably not your first language so I suspect that may have something to do with it.. Try moderating the tone a bit thats all. And no-one said you have to get your coat and leave.. and be prepared to accept that there are people here who work very hard for our benefit and they do it for free...
Simple innit!..

man, I am not sure what your intention is here.

but it is not about who has the longest....

it is also not about demanding stuff and lowering other peoples work.

what you do here is not a discussion but very offensive, especially your language. I am not sure you know how offensive you sound. if you do... let it rest for a day, nothing good will come out of this.

And I stand by my words, the community does not need a discussion over the maps others produce. It needs some of the established campaign builders to embrace them and make them a part of the Il2 world with their storytelling (may I dream of a Willi Jedermann campaign over the real channel map?)

I am out of this thread.