Damage: Smoke Fire Fuel and Contrail Mod *Updated 7/28*

reflected Wrote:what a wonderful mod!!!! Top work!!!!! Thank you soo much!

Although, the black smokes are waaay too long IMHO, and after the crash they stay there too long. If you could fix it, this would be the best mod ever!!!!

I can make the smoke as short as you want. Its just a matter of if everyone wants that.

I cannot fix the smoke still billowing after the crash. Its just the way the files are setup, and its most likley a .class setting. But i cannot edit .class files...........

I would say the 2/3rd of the lenght would be realistic for me, I don't know what the others think...maybe half? Or is there a way to set it for ourselves?

I just tested some shorter smoke, and it greatly (for me) improved my FPS when a plane crashes. It still looks good aswell, and the cattail is less pronounced. So i may release that as a new version. It also reduces the cotton balls aswell.

I also added a slight bit of gray into the smoke to give it more diversity and depth. Its looking pretty good. Still tweaking and testing it.

I am also going to update my videos for my mods. So those of you who want to see it before you download it, will be pleased.

You're creating a great mod. Thank you so much for your work. I've had a look at your latest version today, and I'm looking forward to test a newest one, with not so black smoke! Thank you again...

Best regards,
Mangas.

Same for me mate.. This mod is the dogs bollocks.. but my only reservation is towards the black smoke, it just looks out of place.. hope you manage to tone it down somewhat!.. Big Grin

Trooper117 Wrote:Same for me mate.. This mod is the dogs bollocks.. but my only reservation is towards the black smoke, it just looks out of place.. hope you manage to tone it down somewhat!.. Big Grin
agree : too much black-condensed smoke m8 , may be only you tell what parameter we have to change for damaged planes? thank you alot however great job!Smile..

Very good effect. Big Grin

Only thing that I think it was better in previous editions is damaged planes smoke trails. Now it is too dark and too narrow, previous has looked somehow more lifelike (with more shades in them) and when planes hit the ground smoke stucks my computer.

Until next release . . . Smile

Updated download.

Smoke has a hint of gray in it to give it more depth.
The smoke trail is shorter now.
Fixed Contrail glitch
Improved the Oil smoke.

Me likes it Big Grin
Especially oil (is that oil?) but it is hard to catch it on screenshot

[Image: oilka7.th.jpg][Image: oil1gw9.th.jpg]

nice improvement on this mode now looks much better, note in the zero photo that oil smoke is not continuous, that's amazing.

[Image: smokeandfiremod.jpg]

[Image: smokeandfiremod3.jpg]

[Image: smokeandfiremod2.jpg]

This is a exelent mod

Potenz

Umm....

The oil smoke breaking is a mishap by me. The emtfreq keeps exceding the local particle limit, so it quits until enough particles dissappear so it and turn on again.

But if you like it i won't touch it. Smile

I'll add a note in the original post aswell but i think this mod would be best with everyone's effects line in the config set to 2

I'm using effects=1 and it's still BEAUTIFUL. Great job on this mod Th!rdeye!

Haven't tried the shorter smoke version, but I can't thank you enough for this marvelous mod you've made. It's incredible how much it is more fun to play il2 now!!! Smile

Looking awesome!

This has made me curious though, because of it's great contrast with slirpy's bright fire mod, that gave very transparent smoke, that also seems realistic (for example an air race Corsair catching fire at reno had a similar effect):

What causes some planes on fire to belch smoke, and some to burn in a more 'clean' way?

Sorry if this is obvious to some.

Smile

Metatron Wrote:Looking awesome!

This has made me curious though, because of it's great contrast with slirpy's bright fire mod, that gave very transparent smoke, that also seems realistic (for example an air race Corsair catching fire at reno had a similar effect):

What causes some planes on fire to belch smoke, and some to burn in a more 'clean' way?

Sorry if this is obvious to some.

Smile

A clean burn would come from just fuel buring off. Its rare in WWII planes, but in some guncam footage of the pacific you can see Zeros catching a flame, and no smoke coming from them.

In il2, the dark smoke (no fire) is coming from the engine being hit or parts of the wing burning. And the fire comes into WITH that smoke. So without editing some .class files i do not think i could seperate them. It looks like in these fires the aircraft itself is buring, thus giving billowing black smoke.

I will work on more options for style of smoke. i.e light smoke and fire.