Updated Reticles for US, JA, IT & RU 11/20/09

Updated and added more planes in version 2 of my original Reticle mod. The 200m version will not be continued. I have converted the P-39 variants to the US style ring and dot reticle. You can delete them if you want the original Russian style reticle back.

There are different reticle versions (solid ring, calibrated rings, etc.) for the different gunsights.

By catahoulak9 Reticle_US_N9_100m

http://www.filefront.com/14960329/Catah ... les_v2.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/file/y0u3rynzi ... les_v2.rar

CatahoulaK9 11/20/09

Top quality work, as usual.

Tnx very much!

Coolness 8)

Thank you Sir :!:

Great !
Can You update Your reticles acording to this site ? http://www.errthum.com/troy/warbirds/gu ... story.html

They seem historicaly accurate to me...

Does anyone have historical reference material that could help with reticles? I've found some on gunsights but nothing on reticles. Anyone??

I have also search the internet for this, always the devices, but never the crosshairs.

But the ones on the link looks pretty good to me to

On youtube their are some cgi movies about zeros ( search for battle coral sea cgi ) in this movies the Zeros have an crosshair like the Bf 109 E4 on the linked site above

Thanks Carnagexxx, I enjoyed the movie but it doesn't really help confirming reticles. Keep digging and maybe we'll find something.

It is tempting to go with what is presented at the referenced Warbirds site, but I'd like some kind of confirmation on the reticles before investing that much time in making them. The only sources link still active only shows the gunsight apparatus but no reticles. I've written the original developer of the site asking for help.

I'm looking for resources with calibration and style information to work from. There must have been many different reticles evolving with the gunsight designs and there has to be information somewhere about it.

Check this one also !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglPZXIRCjI

In the past I have also opened a thread in the original german UBI Il2 Forum for the different crosshairs, but their was never an answer ;(

I worked up a first draft of the P-38J reticle shown on the Warbirds site. I built it from scratch based on the regular circle and dot reticle but I had to resize the ring down some to fit the calibrated elevation marks at the bottom.

The reticle with elevation marks makes a lot of sense considering the P-38 carried all it's guns together in the nose with no wing gun convergence and only bullet drop and lead to factor.

MAHA's P-39 reticle is similar with the same elevation marks and I believe was inspired by the same website source.

So... could this be the reticle type used in the P-38?

[Image: grab1006oh6.jpg]
By catahoulak9 at 2008-08-20

[Image: grab1007on1.jpg]
By catahoulak9 at 2008-08-20

Carnagexxx Wrote:Check this one also !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglPZXIRCjI
(

Holy god, this video is amazing, fantastic, almost as real as if they were real aircraft Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Mr Saburo Sakai, a a knight in combat, and in real life
Why not draw any movie like that?

Catahoulak9 Wrote:Does anyone have historical reference material that could help with reticles? I've found some on gunsights but nothing on reticles. Anyone??

This is the only thing I have on the N-9 Reflector Gun Sight

[Image: 13gp5.jpg]

It goes on to talk about the 100-mile/100 mils

I can scan more pages in if you want.

I hope we're talking about the same thing.

This is from an old Fighter Pilot Gunnery manual from 1943

[Image: fpgcover1943gz0.jpg]

Thank you very much KC Jones, this is the kind of historical information I'm looking for. This is the first time I've seen a reflected reticle image illustrated. Is there anything else that references another reticle image other than the one illustrated?

Catahoulak9 Wrote:Thank you very much KC Jones, this is the kind of historical information I'm looking for. This is the first time I've seen a reflected reticle image illustrated. Is there anything else that references another reticle image other than the one illustrated?

Cat, no. Remember that in that year (1943) they only had the N-9 gun sight (at least in that manual). It probably was a general use guide; not airplane specific. I don't know.

But from another book I have I found this interesting thing about the P-51Ds having a Rear Warning Radar Lamp to the left of the gun sight. (not modelled in IL2) The instrument lights are also fascinating.

[Image: p51dcockpitkq4.jpg]

[Image: p51dkeysjr2.jpg]

I was interested in the N-9 (with the slip and skid ball right underneath it) because I helped me line up for bringing all my guns on target.

Anyway, it confirmed that it was in the 5NT; when I found this neat program IL2 Wingman.

[Image: il2wingmanforp515ntn9gucu9.jpg]

Most folks when they see the following page think that keeping the ball in the center is hogwash. The drawing is exaggerated for a "on six" shot; but the point is.....to center the ball no matter what attitude your aircraft is at (see front cover page).

[Image: page26tr3.jpg]

When they try to argue they don't need to do that I ask them about their gun convergence and whether its set "wide" for a shotgun effect. That usually keeps them quiet.

Never-the-less, I have a friend in the UK who has a Spit manual and will ask him to send it to me.

Btw, when I put your "add-on" in my MOD folder I didn't notice anything different regards the circle and pipper than from before. Of course this was about an hour ago. Will experiment more.

Will keep searching.

Take care

WAIT ONE ! I do have another book ! Its called - heck its too long a name but it has drawings of the K-14 and other reflector gun sights. Its a huge hummer (14x16 inches 2 inch thick) and difficult to scan but I'll do it for you buddy !

Give me a little time - thanks for saying those words. I'll be working on it for the next couple of days.

Just did a quick look and see the "K-14A Computing Gunsight" (with all those numbers on that round thing under the glass). Will post tomorrow ! Heck, I try to get that to you tonight.

KC

Got it. Still learning scanning. Is this what you're looking for ? If so, give me a list and I'll search more.

[Image: k14agunsightsl2.jpg]

Catahoulak9
Confusedhock: Amazing new reticle!!!
Please, can you rework my for P-39 next? Smile

KC,

I'm looking for the actual reticle illustrated, what the reflection looked like on the reflector plate, what the pilot would see to aim with. Your material is fascinating, this is the kind of stuff I could spend days just soaking up. The slip ball illustration is perfect too. That's why I love it up near the sight on the P-51.

I think the N9 may have had just the reticle type we are using now. It's the one which is they have illustrated in your The N-9 Reflector Gunsight manual.

What part of Virginia are you living? We're practically neighbors.