Creating smooth rivers and coast in map_c...

... I'll need to add some blur. Is there any hard and fast rule (type, strength etc) or is it just hit and miss?

:cheers:

Pretty much from my experience. Just running a mild blur tool along the coastline is usually sufficient. a rough estimate is about a 3 to 4 pixel blur at most.
What most folks don't realize is the amount of "in FMB" work that need to take place to fine tune a maps geography with the "height" function along waterways. You can keep going back and edit the map_c but that can take just as long as just working your way down the coastlines in the FMB. I guess it all depends on how "accurate" you want the lay of the land to be. Having said that, with the limitations of the game engine don't get too crazy on accuracy. You can only achieve what the game will allow and you have to take artistic license with the rest.

I can't remember who said it but any map with little or no water/coast line is much easier. And I had to pick an area with lots of both..... :x

I don't want to intrude here, but along similar lines, how does one get that tropical coral reef appearance, such as in the Midway map - where a "line" of shallow water, with breaking waves, exists at some distance from the actual shoreline? Is that done through the FMB as well, or on Map_C?

dunkelgrun Wrote:... I'll need to add some blur. Is there any hard and fast rule (type, strength etc) or is it just hit and miss?

:cheers:

hit and miss i'm afraid .... i didn't notice any strict limitation there

as for riffs goes .... same thing , gradually shade changing on map_c should do the trick ( compose slot or one of default map_c.tga and use it for reference )

regards
Z