Map building question ... can't load in FMB+

OK - sorry if this is something that is really obvious. Honestly, I've read the entire map building discussion thread, half the Slot WIP thread (up to page 54!), and all the other stickies above (I even cut & pasted 17 pages of tips from it - maybe that can become useful later). But I can't figure out why I can't get my new map to load in FMB.

I've properly created my folder structure and identified it under the all.ini. I've made map_c, map_t, and map_h using Clockwatcher's MicroDEM tutorial. I have modified one of the Slot load.ini's to reflect my file names. I've tried placing an actors.static file in my folder (from one of the "empty" maps). I've even thrown in some placeholder map_f and ed_m02, etc, files.

But all I get is the "loading landscape" box, which sits there forever and never loads.

Any ideas?

By the way, it's a new map of the full Marianas Island chain, excluding the two northernmost ones (map just got too big for Microdem and Gimp on my other computer). The elevation data looks very good, and I carefully adjusted all coastlines and added the necessary reefs on map_c using Google earth images, though I was careful to correct the shorelines for the WWII era inside harbor areas. I'm hesitating to start a WIP thread until I can get the map to load in the FMB, which is when I will know that I can actually make something come of this effort.

How big is it exactly? Maybe it's too large for the game to load or load in a reasonable amount of time?

No - it's smaller than delvpier's Philippines. But not much. Plus, it's mostly ocean - map_c is quite small once it's dissected.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm... I now have it so that I at least get a "load.ini error" message after about 5 seconds of attempted load in the FMB. I found that I had a static.ini file in my personal map folder, as a result of unzipping one of the map tools there. I deleted it.

Maybe now it is just a simple load.ini inconsistency? I can't find one - all I did was use a Slot load.ini, with changing all referenced map and file names to match mine. Is there something I need to do with flielist.txt? I've looked at that file, and I don't see any changes in it for the other new maps, which seem to be working fine.

My addition in all.ini:

Quote:dlv_Sinai dlv_Sinai/load.ini
dleg_Marianas dleg_Marianas/load.ini
Empty1a Empty1a/load.ini
My load.ini:

Quote:[MAP]
ColorMap = map_c.tga
HeightMap = map_h.tga
SmallMap = map_M.tga
TypeMap = map_T.tga
FarMap = map_F.tga
ReflMap = map_R.tga

[LIGHT]
LandLight = LandLight.mat
CloudShadows = CloudShadows.mat

[MAP2D]
;map_ed.tga
;ed_m03.tga
ed_m02.tga
ed_m01.tga

[TMAPED]
ed_map_t.tga

[WORLDPOS]
CAMOUFLAGE = SUMMER
MONTH=1
DECLIN = -23
PRESSURE = 760
TEMPERATURE = 25

[CUBE]
Down = Cube_bott.tga
East = Cube_right.tga
North = Cube_front.tga
South = Cube_back.tga
Up = Cube_top.tga
West = Cube_left.tga

[static]
actors.static
[text]
texts.txt

[WOOD]
;Wood0 = forest/summer/sk_Wood0.tga
;Wood1 = forest/summer/sk_Wood1.tga
;Wood2 = forest/summer/sk_Wood2.tga
;Wood3 = forest/summer/sk_Wood3.tga
;Wood4 = forest/summer/sk_Wood4.tga
Wood0 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood0.tga
Wood1 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood1.tga
Wood2 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood2.tga
Wood3 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood3.tga
Wood4 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood4.tga

WoodMask2 = forest/summer/JForestMask.tga
WoodMask3 = forest/summer/JForestMask2.tga
WoodMiniMasks = forest/summer/MiniMask.tga
SideWood = forest/summer/ForestSide.tga

[APPENDIX]
HighClouds = MTO_Clouds256.tga
HighCloudsNoise = CloudsNoise.tga
// CloudsMap = CloudMap4x4km.tga
Moon = Moon\Moon0000.tga
ShadeNoise = land/Noise.tga
WaterNoise = water/WaterNoise.tga
WaterNoiseAnimStart = Water/Animated/WaterNoise00.tga
ForestNoise= forest/summer/ListForestNoise.tga
BeachFoam = water/PacificFoam_.tga
BeachSurf = water/PacificBeachSurf.tga
BeachLand = water/RiverLand.tga
CoastBumpNoise = water/CoastBumpNoiseDimas.tga

Tree0 = Trees/sk_AlteredBush8a.tga
TreeLightMask = Trees\LightM256.tga

[WATER]
Water = water/PacificWater.tga
WaterColorATI = 0.140 0.175 0.230
\\WaterColorATI = 0.150 0.225 0.180
WaterColorNV = 0.140 0.185 0.268
\\WaterColorNV = 0.165 0.264 0.233

[ROADS]
Rail = land/summer/Rail
Road = land/summer/Road
Highway = land/summer/Highway

[FIELDS]
LowLand0 = land/summer/LowLand_1.tga,2
LowLand1 = land/summer/mount.tga
LowLand2 = land/summer/mount.tga
LowLand3 = land/summer/grnd/fields_proc013.tga

MidLand0 = land/summer/mount.tga
MidLand1 = land/summer/mount3.tga,-2
MidLand2 = land/Pacific/ChichiGrass.tga,-2
MidLand3 = land/summer/mount.tga

Mount0 = land/Pacific/field5_burma.tga
Mount1 = land/summer/fields_dry.tga,2
Mount2 = land/summer/dry2_v1.tga,2
Mount3 = land/summer/dry2_v2.tga,2

Country0 = land/summer/burmavillage.tga
Country1 = land/summer/burmavillage.tga
Country2 = land/Pacific/burmatrib1.tga
Country3 = land/summer/bigcountry.tga

City0 = land/Pacific/fields_Imphal.tga
City1 = land/Pacific/field_Clay.tga
City2 = land/Pacific/field5_burma.tga
City3 = land/summer/factory.tga

AirField0= land/summer/airfieldGr.tga
AirField1= land/summer/fields_airfieldDesert.tga
;AirField1= land/summer/MTO_Air_Fields.tga,2
AirField2= land/summer/fields_airfieldDesert.tga
;AirField2= land/summer/MTO_Air_Fields.tga,2
AirField3=

Wood0 = forest/summer/JungleKTA.tga
;Wood0 = forest/summer/JungleGr.tga
Wood1 =
;Wood2 = forest/summer/forestfar.tga
Wood2 = forest/summer/sk_ForestFar.tga
Wood3 =

Water0 = water/water.tga
Water1 = water/water.tga

Water2 = water/CoralCoastLine.tga,
Water3 = land/summer/grnd/fields_proc013.tga

What does the error code say is the problem with the load.ini?

this is the message I get at the bottom of the FMB screen:

World.land().LoadMap() error:javalang.RuntimeException 'dleg_Marianas/load.ini' loading error

...do you have all map files present in dleg_Marianas directory ( check for mistyping ) ... so check this files :

[MAP]
ColorMap = map_c.tga
HeightMap = map_h.tga
SmallMap = map_M.tga
TypeMap = map_T.tga
FarMap = map_F.tga
ReflMap = map_R.tga

[MAP2D]
;map_ed.tga
;ed_m03.tga
ed_m02.tga
ed_m01.tga

[TMAPED]
ed_map_t.tga

[static]
actors.static
[text]
texts.txt

load.ini error usually means that load.ini "calls" some file which isn't present ....

regards
Z

No - I don't have all of those. Specifically, I don't have Map_R.tga, map_M.tga, or ed_map_t.tga. (I'm assuming that a';' ahead of a line removes it from the load process, so map_ed.tga is not needed)

But then again, The Slot folder doesn't have a map_R file listed, either. Maybe it's the ed_map_t.tga? What does that one do, anyway? I haven't run into any mention of it yet.

Nope - tried loading the map with a stand-in ed_map_t, made as a copy of the map_h, but still no luck.

Could it be because I've got some loose files in my map folder? (like the C_map tools, MWmap_c, etc.)

are you certain that your map c/h/t are all divisible by 32
your map c is four times the size of h/t
map f is twice the size of h/t

you have renamed the map_c and table from the MWmap_c after disecting it????

ed_map_t is a copy of mapt not h

What kind of actors.static do you use ? I'm allways starting with empty one... open anyone in notepad, select all, delete and save... maybe try it...

By the way, when I get the same Java error message, it is allways related to a wrong path in load.ini... check this

map_R, ed_map_t are not mandatory to load in FMB, never I created to start a map

I have exactly the same problem with my East Java map. Size can't be the problem since I've reduced it in size significantly; it is now slightly smaller than the Slot map and slightly larger than an alpha of Big_yamato's West Java map, both of which load without a hitch. Delvpier's Philippines map doesn't load either so I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a problem with my computer's hardware. Anybody willing to try running my map on his rig?

send you maps to me at this site for me to test for you ..... Gerrit and Delvpier

http://www.4shared.com/dir/4397598/27d3 ... aring.html

Well, I think I am getting closer .... It's true, I had a load.ini problem - never renamed MWmap_c.tga_table (DOH!!!!), but now I still get a Windows memory error message, that makes me quit the program and re-boot my machine (because the graphics card gets stuck in the resolution of my IL 2 game settings - much lower than my windows settings).

Memory error message reads:

Quote:The instruction at "0x0db60a57" referenced Memory at "0x0ec37b70". The Memory could not be "read".

It sure would be nice to figure this out. I'd hate to give this up - just tonight, I happened to learn that an old friend from Guam, who was visiting up here in Saipan, now has a job that entails some responsibility for the WWII archives stored at the War in the Pacific National Park. He offered to assist me with the research for this map.

EDIT: Edited to fix a glaring typo (a few beers under me belt tonight) and to thank everyone who responded so far - I have learned a lot already. For example, I deleted the contents of my actors.static file, though that wasn't the problem. Like I said above, I have compiled a respectable collection of tips related to mapbuilding, and I think that, combined with some simple narrative about what goes into making a map, could be quite useful for others who follow.

So the info of what files, at a bare minimum, are necessary to start the map building process, is extremely useful.

Thank you.

Dleg, Remember to use the created (newMWmap_c.tga) for your map_c instead of the (MWmap_c.tga).