[Mod] Updated Thailand/East Burma/Indochina map (new)

[Mod] Thailand-East Burma-Indo-China map

This map is now a full release....... and this version includes the previous patches

***********FOR 4.09mbeta ONLY ********************************

(The link is inoperative)
Fly_zo has made an installer...

This map also uses Objects from the Lal_Rone Hanger pack and Canon's Objects which came with his channel map...so you will need to download and install them if you have not already done so....

to download it ..... (The link is inoperative)

Lal_Rone's
Download them here ... (The link is inoperative)

**********************************************************************************************************

Being very mountainous, the North of Thailand, Laos and Burma, look their best when using the 4.09beta patch and the increased distance visibility available when using Perfect settings.

Towns and villages are only lightly populated .... and in the pack are the new trees I have included.......being:

Coconut trees; Flame trees (two types); banana trees (three types); Bougainvillea; Bamboo; yellow tree

The Kiev kolok tower I have sunk below ground level to look like a chedi/stupa.

The airstrips are 'In the rough'....so be careful when taxiing ....I have used an invisible kronstadt plate to ensure smooth runways for take-off/landings.

I use a detailed 2D map which, although modern, is derived from satellite data, so the size and shape of the hills/mountains are exactly like you see upon the ground. I have added Black lines for the railways and red for the roads, so please ignore the modern roads marked upon this map which will have no equivalent on the ground.

I have made this map as a mix of old and new........I left the modern reservoirs in, which came with the satellite data, since they are pleasing to the eye on the landscape and are an extra help with navigation. There is a certain amount of Jungle, but probably far less than there actually was at the time of the Second World War.

All rivers are above sea-level, so if you look from the surface level you can see under the landscape....I do not intend to rectify this. This is also the reason that there are no normal bridges on the map....but I have constructed simple looking bridges for the main crossings (although these are not an object which can be destroyed or targeted in the usual manner).

I tried to approximate the huge canal system in place in the Bangkok area, hampered by the minimum size of one pixel for rivers. After WW2 Thailand started to modernise in the 1950's and filled in many canals (klongs) in the Bangkok metropolitan area to build roads. It used to have the name of 'Venice of the East'.

Fabianfred

Thanks a lot fabianfred! One question though, if I've already installed the beta version do I need to do anything special before installing the full version or can I just install it over the previous version? Thanks again for all your hard work!

Hi Fred,

Will download tonight.
I still love the sunrises and sunsets in this map.
When you look outside at my place around 6:30 pm to 7:00pm its exactly the same.
Have been crook for a week guurrr no work stay at home.

CHEERS KIRBY

Chiang Mai[/b]

Avatar Wrote:Thanks a lot fabianfred! One question though, if I've already installed the beta version do I need to do anything special before installing the full version or can I just install it over the previous version? Thanks again for all your hard work!

best thing would be to add a '-' in front of the old map folder ffb_Thailand ...and then add this as a new one ..until you are sure everything is working OK

there are one or two changes in the Objects too :wink:

Took the plunge with this updated version, downloaded followed the instruction - not forgetting adding those lines to the static.ini, and... IT WORKS WONDERFULLY! (Loading in FMB, saving etc.) And then I took a Ki-43 for a small evening spin by the coast:

[Image: ffred_thai2.jpg]

Many, many, many, MANY thanks!

I will try to put together some kind of mini-campaign for this map ASAP. Being a JAAF buff this won't be to difficult, I hope.

Your work is really beautiful.

fabianfred Wrote:best thing would be to add a '-' in front of the old map folder ffb_Thailand ...and then add this as a new one ..until you are sure everything is working OK

there are one or two changes in the Objects too :wink:

Thanks mate, will give it a shot now. Can't wait to find those new objects! Smile

I have now made a campaign for this excellent map. See this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=8434

Oh dear.... I cannot stop fiddling.... when am I ever going to be satisfied :roll:

added the Roundhouse and turntable to the scene at Rangoon ...it was damaged in several raids

[Image: 0510200811-27-13.jpg]

here is a link to the wartime pics if you want to see them overlaid upon Google Earth

http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile24394/ ... r-1944.htm

Description: Photo taken over the target, 3 Nov '44, daylight raid by American B-29s based in India. Note the roundhouse & turntable, camouflaged factory/industrial roofs, old bomb craters, rolling stock in the yard. Note also the roof of the roundhouse - some light, some dark - evidence of patchwork from past raids. Also, note the shadow on the outer edge of the roundhouse. You can see where sunlight has shone right through holes in the roof.

See also:
http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile24401/ ... r-1944.htm
http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile24453/ ... r-1944.htm

ERROR: Can`t open File ' 3do/Buildings/Thai/Pagoda/live.sim

Go on tinkering! It's detail work like this that really makes a map! Besides, this was an important target for the Allies.

I like tinkering also, I see the flag problem has dissapeared with this latest edition, superb job fabianfred. Trouble with tinkering is nothing ever seems to get finished, my campaign for one, but the learning curve is worth the trouble.

Wishing you the very best, Pete.

greyhead Wrote:ERROR: Can`t open File ' 3do/Buildings/Thai/Pagoda/live.sim

Have you installed the latest version of my map?

I changed the static.ini entry for the Thai pagoda to this.....

[buildings.House$ThaiPagoda]
Title Pagoda
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_01/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_01/dead.sim
AlignToLand 0
Body RockBig
Panzer 0.15

which points it to the standard one

please check your static.ini (search in Notepad for Pagoda) and check if it is the same as the above

MAny thnaks for this Fred, great work. I was having a few problems with the old version after installing UI, but this seems to have sorted everything out. Very nice...

fabianfred Wrote:
greyhead Wrote:ERROR: Can`t open File ' 3do/Buildings/Thai/Pagoda/live.sim

Have you installed the latest version of my map?

I changed the static.ini entry for the Thai pagoda to this.....

[buildings.House$ThaiPagoda]
Title Pagoda
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_01/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_01/dead.sim
AlignToLand 0
Body RockBig
Panzer 0.15

In addition I have thefollowing lines in the " Static.ini " should I delete these ?

Title Mods Fabianfred
//===========================================================================
[buildings.House$BurmaPagoda_02]
Title Pagoda_02
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_02/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_02/dead.sim
AlignToLand 0
Body RockBig
Panzer 0.15

which points it to the standard one

please check your static.ini (search in Notepad for Pagoda) and check if it is the same as the above

this one can be deleted

Title Mods Fabianfred
//===========================================================================
[buildings.House$BurmaPagoda_02]
Title Pagoda_02
MeshLive 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_02/live.sim
MeshDead 3do/Buildings/Burma/Pagoa_02/dead.sim
AlignToLand 0
Body RockBig
Panzer 0.15