Tarmac Runways

I thought there's a need for tarmac runway pieces, so here's my effort. The textures aren't brilliant, and some people are inevitably going to be unstaisfied with the colour. What I will say is that tarmac does look light grey from a distance, and that the shade has been chosen to be compatible with some of the more recent ground textures available with the 4.09 update.

Now available as a MOD in the Building Skins forum.

Nice airfield, do you have other picture??

NIC1

It's nice
but no offence, didn't the nazi's invent tarmac?
dont think tarmac was used so for historically correct people they wont use this Tongue
but it's a nice mod i have to say!!!

metalheadbaz Wrote:It's nice
dont think tarmac was used so for historically correct people they wont use this Tongue

If they did then we nicked their idea because we were building tarmac runways in 1939.

There was an airbase at Stoney Cross in the new forest and the only part that remains is the runway which is used as a road now. /http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/image-files/stoney-cross-road_sm.jpg
(live link killed in case they complain about us using up their bandwidth)

I think a lot of the older airdromes that were pressed into service by the RAF as fighter bases would've still had their old concrete runways. I've driven across one of these in Norfolk.

Nice mod BTW Smile

It would have to have been by a very early Scottish Nazi then!!! Tongue

'Tarmac (short for tarmacadam, a portmanteau for tar-penetration macadam) is a type of highway surface, pioneered by John Loudon McAdam in around 1820.' - from Wikipedia.

You'll be telling us that 'Concrete Bob' was a Japanese Kempetai officer next :roll: .

Nope . invented by a Scotsman - McAdam , and developed and patented by a Welshman - Hooley

This is awesome! Will be very welcomed by the IL-2 Aerobatic Community! :wink:

Nope, it's a late 18th century invention by a Scotsman - McAdam - hence the name in English 'TarMac(adam) or as in Dutch where it is simply called 'Macadam' after the inventor.

Not that many people are aware of the origin of the word.

I thought tarmac was a sailors raincoat. :?

Tarmac aka Macadam in the United Steaks of America :wink:

Very nice, have a few airfields on my Denmark map that need tarmac sufaced areas, thnx a lot Big Grin

Edit: And I see, Macadam in the Netherlands as well.

Macadam?? i'm dutch but i have not a clue where that should be.

Concrete was used for convenience, and also because tarmac used precious petroleum resource. However there's an old WW2 airfield across the valley from me that has tarmac runways, and as far as I'm aware, always did.

Its a matter of choice or historical accuracy, and in no way should anyone feel constrained to use it if they're not comfortable.

Runways at Kenley are tarmac ; though I believe were originally concrete (see grass lines)

[Image: SpitVbKenley048.jpg]

Yes, a lot of modern runways are tarmac'd over. Thruxton is the same. The rubble of the former concrete surfaces is plainly visible in places.

Regarding my Zombotho map, I'm a little bored with concrete. Since Pieterville airport is supposed to be a pre-war field anyway, I thought a tarmac runway would be a nice visual digression that isn't out of place. For example....

If you look carefully you'll note the taxiways are used to link the roads and the airport infrastructure. Concrete is retained for parking areas because of WW2 expansion.