Truk Lagoon Map

Previously Mariskal had started a post and work on his version the Truk Map. See this post:

viewtopic.php?t=1759

OK I am now going to assume that Mariskal has dropped this project as there has been no response from him in that post for 10 months. Given that I am going to start this project myself as I have a keen interest in Truk, having just made a dive trip over there 2 weeks ago. I have downloaded the srtm data and am going thru the tutorials now and learning how to get the process started. If Mariskal comes back and wants to complete his version before I have gone too far then I will kindly step aside and let him finish.

In the menatime if anyone would like to see a few dive photos we took while there then visit:

http://www.airgroup51.com/forums/viewth ... p?tid=3289

While this may be overly ambitious I hope to have this completed by New Years day. If not then sometime January at the latest.

Here is a great reference for any that are interested- it has everything you ever wanted to know about Truk including detailed maps of all Japanese installations on the various islands:

http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Wrecks- ... 222&sr=8-1

nice shots!

thats something ive always wanted to do. though, i think i'd prefer going to bikini to see my grandfathers ship. either way, badass!

Hi Glider,

You are correct on me dropping the ball there. Life just got to busy as to keep working on this project.

If you like I can pack up what I've done and send it to you.

Just let me know and we can arrange a "delivery" via PM

Glider, would it be any more difficult to make the map larger than Mariskal's original project? I'm thinking something along the lines of the Wake or Tarawa maps. A map that size makes for a more realistic carrier operations map. :wink:

Razor,

I believe that it can be done and I will certainly do just that 8)

Mariskal,

Thanks for sharing! This way I do not have to start from scratch and all of your hard work will not be wasted! I have PM'd you my email address. If you need to upload to a FTP server I have one and can set you up with an account to use it. Or of course you can mail a disk... entirely your preference.

Thanks again bud I appreciate it & will send you the beta's for your input if you would like.

Razor,

To expand my current (draft) map would be triviial. I called 300x300 km just as to keep the flying time to/from the lagoon to the carrier within 10' or so. Still, making it larger (600x600?) it is just adding "empty" water tiles around the lagoon.

BTW: Glider and I are in contact and within a few days he will recieve a complete tarball with a fully working map, which bascially only needs some texture work and some objects population (Main HQ and harbour faciilities).

That's great news fellas. Thanks! Smile

Hey Glider,

Check your mails. A package was left for you Big Grin

How's it coming Glider?? Smile

I was idly toying with a Truk idea myself, but am glad someone else stepped in as I am a rookie at this stuff.

But I did find a site with photos of Dublon. The photos tend to show a lot more green grass going right to the shoreline than Mariskal's beta map. As well, the topography is pretty vertical!! This is the link:

http://www.truk-lagoon.com/truk_landside.html

Thud did some nice stuff with reefs in a recent thread. You might want to talk to him.

Truck Isalnds WIP

viewtopic.php?p=177739#177739