When you make a map, how does it feel?

Do you feel like you have conquered the world, or this is my little stretch of world. You must be very proud to fly through your work! :Smile)

FA_Cheech may be a better word smith than i to explain it better than i can. It's a good feeling. You learn so much about the country and land you make. Building the Slot was a great fun and put us into "history detective" mode many times. This is why we are continuing on to build NGNB (New Guniea - New Britain) and then Rabaul-Bouganville after that. Our processes have gotten better as well as our speed. Durring the Slot research we discovered good places to get research data and with NGNB, we were able to find the data we wanted quicker and more of it. The thing about maps is that it's something many will use (i hope :wink: ) to discover the past and the nature of these campaigns, the terrain, the distances, etc.. It should begin to give you an idea of what the veterans went thru for us. Flying in a single engine plane over great water distances is very gutsy. Maps just seem more useful to the communtiy than a single plane. i'm sure many of us would have traded in their german fantasy planes for more maps in the PTO or the MTO is all i'm saying.

A part of map making that bugs me is when the maps are used out of context, the "that never happened there" voice i hear in my head when i play a mission or a campaign because, for whatever reason, the mission maker didn't do thier research. But, hey, we just make the maps and release them. What others do with them is their thing. If they want to cover them with jets, have at it.

THE WORST PART OF ALL IS NOT HAVING A DEDICATED SERVER TO RUN THEM ON,....Oleg? Modders??

Even though i knew that Thailand played a small part of the WW2, having lived here for nearly 17 years I wanted to have a go at it, and it managed to overflow into Burma too, which was much more relevant, and thus led to my present Burma project.
We know that we can only very basically represent things, especially as there are limited Objects and buildings I can use available, but it is nice to look out of my window and see the same hills as I can fly over.
Mission building is fun, but map building is even better.

Well,

After Fabian Fred gave me a reasonably working map of North Aus and PNG. My second home being North Oz map making can be highly rewarding and frustrating at the same time.

ESPECIALLY if you don't know Photoshop or gimp that well.

HOWEVER It's also a rewarding learning curve as you can see a great end result from information given by experienced and highly esteamed map makers like Fabian Fred, Fly zo, Neil Lowe and the guy doing the Wellington N.Z. map.

I still know that for me there is so much to learn.

Having said this I thought I'd get side tracked from this map and learn more about populating maps etc first.

BUT ONE THING YES map making is a very rewarding and time consuming endeavour.

CHEERS Farang65

Kirby

Chiang Mai

I enjoy world building for its own sake. My own map project is actually a fantasy (with some lip service to the real world) which allows me free reign on creativity, but then, the challenge to reproduce the atmosphere of the region is still present.

Thrud Wrote:THE WORST PART OF ALL IS NOT HAVING A DEDICATED SERVER TO RUN THEM ON,....Oleg? Modders??

look for helzone and magpie's responses within this post
viewtopic.php?t=9673

Nice posts, Gents! Big Grin

I'm glad that you do seem to really enjoy what you do. Apart from the challenge of the creative process and the results it brings, it must hearten you to know that your work is greatly appreciated by the community, and has done so much to transform this game Big Grin

With Thanks and Respect

Hawkers Big Grin

:roll: .... headache...

For me mapmaking is like building plastic models. You learn a lot of about geographics and history
OK! OK! Lets get serious!
Perfect way to do mapmodding:
1. Turn cellular off
2.Tune on some nice music.
3.Lots of coffee and cicarettes
4.GO!
And when the map is finally ready (in 2 weeks, be sure), it is always cool to read comments like:
Nice map, but...
I cant save
Is that Helsinki Olympic Stadium in your Berlin?
Teh P-47 won teh war!
Can you do Sweden 1:1? With huge Historical campaign (100+missions/34 Skins for Gladiators): Protecting our Neutrality? (jag skojar bara)
:lol: :wink:
:roll: Why i'm doing this? :roll:

We were probably kids who liked Lego or Meccano (showing his age here)

fabianfred Wrote:We were probably kids who liked Lego or Meccano (showing his age here)

Loved Meccano, and Scalextric 8)

Cheers, Neil Smile

...honestly it feels like it is never quite good enough and you have constant urge to improve or fix some issues which others doesn't even notice ...

and your eyes hurts like hell :wink:

but getting bloody thing to load and save in FMB for the first time is Godlike experience

cheers
Z

fly_zo Wrote:...honestly it feels like it is never quite good enough and you have constant urge to improve or fix some issues which others doesn't even notice ...

and your eyes hurts like hell :wink:

but getting bloody thing to load and save in FMB for the first time is Godlike experience

cheers
Z

Thats what I thought! Thank you all for your remarks and your maps. Idea

fly_zo Wrote:...but getting bloody thing to load and save in FMB for the first time is Godlike experience

... absolutely the right words !

delvpier Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:...but getting bloody thing to load and save in FMB for the first time is Godlike experience

... absolutely the right words !
Plus 1