New Ardennes Winter map !

Hi all !

After my test with winter Slovakia textures, I decided to release for beta-test this little "brand new older map".

[Image: GW-Ardennes01.jpg]

[Image: GW-Ardennes02.jpg]

New winter city textures included:

[Image: GW-Ardennes03.jpg]

New winter grass airfields textures added :

[Image: GW-Ardennes04.jpg]

DOWNLOAD LINK :
http://www.3d-novae.com/temp/Map_GW-Ardennes.zip

Just unzip the file in your mods folder and copy this line in your maps/all.ini file :
GW_Ardennes ardennes/GW_winload.ini

See readme for details & aknowledgements.
Thx to Mbug, Tab & R-One for their work.

KNOWN ISSUE : the rivers may appear frozen in "excellent" mode.

For what i see in the pics!...OMG! , new life to winter maps!. Awesome work! (Any chance for this text to old winter maps like Moscow or Balaton?).

Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

edit ooops read too quick, reread and tab's work is involved yet, thanks a lot m8! Big Grin

Ill see in a minute...

Niiiice looking map, indeed!!
Thank you very much.

Hmmmm....
Well no difference at all on my mod with it I guess one of them disabled the other. :?

So I guess u have to pick between each other.

Quote:So I guess u have to pick between each other.

I don't understand the problem : you don't have to choose between two maps.
Tab's work helped me a lot but the 2 maps can live together: in the FMB, I can choose TAB Ardennes or GW Ardennes and each of them loads without problem ...

...OR YOU MAY TALK ABOUT ANOTHER ONE ?

here's the problem:

viewtopic.php?t=10025&start=45

I placed the 3do and maps subfolder of the mod right into MODS\mapmods to overwrite everything and of course copied and pasted the appropriate line in the all.ini file.
Now I got three winter ardennes maps all nicely living in one folder. All three and the summer one are accesible through FMB.
Textures for the other beautiful Winter slovakia map are overwritten to the smaller size ones.
ALL is neat and sweet.

Great work mate Big Grin Confusedhock: Big Grin
How about winter Balaton ?

Do the _TEX folder files change? Does it matter? there seem to be differences in the texture sizes.

Thanks for this.

Quote:Do the _TEX folder files change?

Yes !
What I did :
I re-used MayBug textures but changed their color depth: 256 colors instead of 16M. For me no visible change but lighter file. These textures keep their name "Mbug_xxxxxxxx.tga"

I did myself completly new textures for cities & factories because Mbug ones did perfectly fit for Slovakia but not for older IL2 maps. The texs I did are in same "color table" than Mbug ones (brownish greys) and same size (1024x1024) but use the same streets net than older city & factory textures which was only 256x256 and blueish grey. these new texture files are called "GW_xxxxxx.tga".
I also redid some texs for forest : if you look at Mbug ones, you see green patches with white patches above (not very convincing in my opinion). Default winter ones show blueish patches.
The ones I made are brown-grey with little snow above... it's my choice :wink:

I also redid texs for winter airstrips, runways & parking areas. Default ones look too snowy in my idea (pure white surfaces). My parkings are snowy with darker traces and runways are brownish grey with snow/frost at the borders. I don't claim it is absolute realism, but it fits well with surrounding airfield tex.
These texs are in 3DO folder.
NOTE : these airfield texs may override other winter ones you previously installed OR be overridden (?) by other ones if you have another "3DO/airfield/groundwinter/" folder .
If you don't like them, just erase 3DO subfolder in my GW-Ardennes folder.

EDIT : ...and I also "winterised" 2D map !

Looks great! Your new textures blend perfectly with the Slovakia ones too. I especially like the new runway plates. They will look great on all the other winter maps too. Thanks for sharing this. It's a keeper!

This looks great! Does it replace the original? Because if so it can be used with existing campaigns and that would be awesome. I should clarify that I can't try it myself right now as I don't have a computer at the moment. :lol:

Great work - adds a great new feel to the Ardennes map. Thanks Smile