playing IL2 with a router

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get IL2 to work through a router. My friends and and I play online coop games through my pc. However, since I have hooked up a router they can no longer connect. I have to disconnect the router in order for them to play. I have heard that the router acts as a firewall and blocks others from joining. I read somewhere that you can do something with the ports to stop this from happening. Does anybody know how to do this as unhooking my router everytime we play is getting to be a pain.

Thanks

http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm

That PortForward like is interesting.

I operate behing a LinkSys router that I place in "DMZ" to allow an open port. I can then host. I did the same while using a Belkin.

Here's how my router setup looks like.

It was painfull for my brain to learn port forwarding; and yes I used the "DMZ" thing until I found out how to make a static IP for my machine in our home network.

My son would be plugging in different machines and my machine's IP would change almost daily.

Once I made a static IP I don't worry about it anymore.

If the other machine's IPs do creep up to .110 then I'll move mine way up to .150 (the limit).

[Image: 002xu5.jpg]

[Image: 001re8.jpg]

Hope this helps.

Now if you're talking about on Hyperlobby, that's another whole pain to set up to host a game.

If you need help with that, I'll have to dig around for the help I got some time back.

scoggy7 Wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows how to get IL2 to work through a router. My friends and and I play online coop games through my pc. However, since I have hooked up a router they can no longer connect. I have to disconnect the router in order for them to play. I have heard that the router acts as a firewall and blocks others from joining. I read somewhere that you can do something with the ports to stop this from happening. Does anybody know how to do this as unhooking my router everytime we play is getting to be a pain.

Thanks

open port 21000 udp in your router to host.
you dont need to open ports for hyperlobby to host

PooBear Wrote:
scoggy7 Wrote:I am wondering if anyone knows how to get IL2 to work through a router. My friends and and I play online coop games through my pc. However, since I have hooked up a router they can no longer connect. I have to disconnect the router in order for them to play. I have heard that the router acts as a firewall and blocks others from joining. I read somewhere that you can do something with the ports to stop this from happening. Does anybody know how to do this as unhooking my router everytime we play is getting to be a pain.

Thanks

open port 21000 udp in your router to host.
you dont need to open ports for hyperlobby to host

True PooBear, you don't need to open a port for hyperlobby.

But you do need to modify your hlpro.ini to point it to your machine's static IP to be able to host a game on HL when behind a router.

As shown in my post my machine's static IP is 192.168.1.110.

To be able to host on HL, I need to tell HL what machine on my home network will be hosting.

To just join a HL game there is no need to modify your hlpro.ini nor open/forward any ports on your router.

Sorry if by throwing in this additional information I may have confused things.

Anyway my hlpro.ini looks like the following:

[Forgotten Battles]
joinDelay=20
clientRate=8000
;Determine the client source port. Useful when is more that one user behind the NAT router.
;Must be diferent for each user behind the same NAT router
localPort=21000
;This detecting right IP address for systems with more that one network adapters
;Default is 1 (on)
DetectLocalIP = 0
;Set to 1 when both server and client are behind a router, using
;private network address and both are behind one public ip address
loopback=1
;When is loopoback set to 1, here must be specified private ip address
; of the server behind a router
loopbackip=192.168.1.110
Order=20
Difficulty=3
serverPort=21000
MaxPlayers=32
Description=OC

Just trying to help

I yearn for the simple old days of dial-up and Win98 Sad

It worked !

ps (or pu), welcome to the wonderful world of routers scoggy !

....and don't believe a word about a router's firewall doing a great job.

You better have one up, either Windows' one or free Zone Alarm. ZA has blocked many an attempt to get at my home network.

And also remember that IL-2 has to "ping" machines for coop playability.

Thanks

routers can always be trun into a switch thus eliminating the problem

Many Thank Yous to KC Jones.....very straight forward and works perfectly....thanx for your time and trouble.....I owe you one...... Big Grin

NGW-Sancho

NGW-Sancho Wrote:Many Thank Yous to KC Jones.....very straight forward and works perfectly....thanx for your time and trouble.....I owe you one...... Big Grin

NGW-Sancho

No problem NGW-Sancho

Glad I was able to help.....just like someone who helped me with routers and hyperlobby.

KC