[MOD]Torpedo trails

This mod changes the In game torpedo trail to have a more realistic trail.

There are two varients, both change the trail to be bubbles, rather than a long stream of what appears to be churned up water on the scale expected of a ship. What would really be seen, is a trail of bubbles from the alchohol/air fuel mixture. While, electric torpedos were used, they were only used where stealth was needed, as they both carried a smaller payload, due to the weight of batterys, but also traveled about half as fast as the alchohol/air variety. There is no record of aircraft torpedos ever being electric, and I doubt they were ever used anywhere but on submarines.

I have included two versions of the mod, one with an improved wake, and one without a wake entirely.
there are also two versions of trails, one with a bubble trail, one with a foam trail

A screenshot of the no wake torpedo trail.
[Image: torpedo_trail.jpg]

A picture of a real torpedo trail.
[Image: torpedophoto.jpg]

A screenshot of the foam trail version.
[Image: torpedotrail1.jpg]

A screenshot of the improved wake.
[Image: torpedotrail2.jpg]

NOTE: Earlier some of the files were accidently saved as RLE compressed, this caused them to not work. This has now been fixed.

Downloads

Mediafire link with all versions, thanks to Stuka-40

I should point out that the foam trails are based on low depth torpedo trails

Any comments are appreciated, and if anyone happens to have a photograph of a real WWII torpedo in action, I would greatly appreciate it.

Very nice,I like it. Just like the movies,LOL.

thanks

Cheers, Corsair!
A big improvement on the previous 'high-vis' wakes. 8) Big Grin

does it also affect to the shiptrail?
maybe this should be changed somehow too

@ F4U, i know its from the Pearl-Harbour Flim, but i heard its very realistic ( is it right? )
use link for you tube video: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1niwxQgoY

i hope it could help, maybe Big Grin

lol 24hours ago i wanted to do that mod too Big Grin

Great Mod! Big Grin

But the one problem is, a "no-wake" mod for a torpedo is good for electric torpedo's. If I remeber correctly, the Ami Mk.13 torpedo was steam powered. That left one h3ll of a wake. This is not to hit onyour great work (I us the mod myself).

Phillip :twisted:

Jarehead Wrote:@ F4U, i know its from the Pearl-Harbour Flim, but i heard its very realistic ( is it right? )
use link for you tube video: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1niwxQgoY

i hope it could help, maybe Big Grin

Dooohhhh, that is Jerry B. movie. That clown would not know realism if it hit him in his face with a 2x4!!!

Phillip :twisted:

@ phillip , blub es geht ja auch nur um die blasenspur, das der rest vom film schrott is weiss ich selber Tongue

Jarehead Wrote:@ phillip , blub es geht ja auch nur um die blasenspur, das der rest vom film schrott is weiss ich selber Tongue
Was meinst du damit?

take it from me, that pic looks as realistic as you can get with the game....... well done mate

Werry good these bubbles. I like torpedoes so its good something new abaut it and even more efects abaut it.
Its reallystic... Its ok.
Thanks man.

I like new effects!!!
Make it more man.

Johny Bee Good!!!!

Saburo Sakai Wrote:take it from me, that pic looks as realistic as you can get with the game....... well done mate

Yes, now my torpedo will look real as it streaks toward the Akagi!

I am working on a third version that has a small wake that moves along behind, closer to the stream then out at a 45 degree angle. I hope to have this out later today.

Also, thanks for the vid. It doesn't corrispond with reports of what torpedos looked like elsewhere, but there is an explaination that makes sense.

During the pearl harbour raid the torpedos carried by the B5N's were modified to travel just below the surface, rather than at depth. At that shallow depth, the bubbles would be about the same as when they were realeased, thousands of little milimeter sized bubbles. Torpedos running at normal depth, like they did elsewhere in the war were deep enough that the bubbles would begin to join together, forming fewer, larger bubbles, giving a more noticable effect when they hit the surface.

lastly, the wakes were experianced by all torpedos when running very close to the surface. Electric torpedos were simply much slower, so they produced a much less noticable wake. I still think that the wakes used by the game are far to noticable though, even for torpedoes on the surface.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is appreciated and welcomed.