Substituting tree and wood textures??

Yet another of my endless newb questions:

I want to try converting the VpMedia Stalingrad summer map to autumn, using Rus_Andrey's autumn textures and forests. I d/l-ed Rus_andrey's files to this path on my hard-drive:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex\forest\autumn\EARLY_AUTUMN

and

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\MODS\MAPMODS\maps\_Tex\Trees\EARLY-MID_AUTUMN

The load.ini of the Stalingrad summer map has the following relevant entries:

[WOOD]
Wood0 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood0.tga
Wood1 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood1.tga
Wood2 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood2.tga
Wood3 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood3.tga
Wood4 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood4.tga

WoodMask2 = forest/summer/forestMask.tga
WoodMask3 = forest/summer/forestMask2.tga
WoodMiniMasks = forest/summer/MiniMask.tga
SideWood = forest/summer/ForestSide.tga

[APPENDIX]

ForestNoise= forest/summer/ListForestNoise.tga

Tree0 = Trees\AlteredBush8a.tga
TreeLightMask = Trees\LightM256.tga

----------------------------------------->

Wood0 = land/autumn/bob_forest_autumn_late.tga
Wood1 =
Wood2 = forest/summer/rom_ForrestFar.tga
Wood3 =

I tried just writing in the new file names and the path to substitute the Rus forest textures, but it didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

What are wood mask 2 and 3, wood mini mask and side wood? Also what is tree light mask?

Mandrill please paste here also the relevant part of the load.ini where you substituted Andrey's tree and forest mods.

This is the load.ini that I tried:

[WOOD]
Wood0 = _Tex/forest/autumn
Wood1 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood1.tga
Wood2 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood2.tga
Wood3 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood3.tga
Wood4 = Italy_DF/forest/summer/itawood4.tga

The map just loaded as an unplayable blank.

Wood0 = _Tex/forest/autumn is incorrect, it should be something like

Wood0 = /forest/autumn/.../XYZblabla.tga

What do you want to achieve? Having autumn forest as produced by Rus Andrey? Check out the tga filenames present in the forest mods folder. I have some of the Rus Andrey files so I'm not sure we have the same files, I also rearranged the folders, so to solve it please tell what forest files you have coming from Andrey and in which folders (complete file path) are they in the il2 root folder..

Okay. I must have been brain-cramping last night. I now have a more successful load.ini for autumn textures. The woods entries read:

[WOOD]
Wood0 = forest/autumn/wood0au.tga
Wood1 = forest/autumn/wood1au.tga
Wood2 = forest/autumn/wood2au.tga
Wood3 = forest/autumn/wood3au.tga
Wood4 = forest/autumn/wood4au.tga

WoodMask2 = forest/summer/forestMask.tga
WoodMask3 = forest/summer/forestMask2.tga
WoodMiniMasks = forest/summer/MiniMask.tga
SideWood = forest/summer/ForestSide.tga

The problem I have now is that I don't understand the "wood mask", "wood minimask" and "side wood" entries. I don't think Rus-Andrey provides textures for those entries either - which is a problem.

I now have a great looking wood close up or in the middle distance. But in the far distance, my nice orange-brown wood changes to green!! I assume this is related to the "wood mask" entries in the load.ini.

Can anyone explain and tell me where to get suitable textures to solve this problem??

Thanks.

And 1 more thing. The Rus_Andrey textures for towns looks nice until I am right overhead. At that point, the dark green summer trees spawn and rise up and wreck my autumn scenery.

Is there a fix for this?

Te appearance of the 3d random trees is given by the following line in load.ini

This gives the normal summer trees

See if you can find a file with similar name in Andrey's files and do the change in load.ini accordingly.

The appearance of a forest in far distance is given by the texture entered under "wood2" for example:

See if you have some Andrey file with name blablafar.tga somewhere in the forest folder or subfolders then use that. If you don't find it try experimenting with different textures names, maybe you find one which matches approximately the close distance forest, use vpmedia's texture library to visualise different textures. Experiment, have fun :wink:

EDIT:this last wood2 =... line you look for in the [Fields] section, not in the [Wood] section

lowfighter Wrote:Te appearance of the 3d random trees is given by the following line in load.ini

This gives the normal summer trees

See if you can find a file with similar name in Andrey's files and do the change in load.ini accordingly.

The appearance of a forest in far distance is given by the texture entered under "wood2" for example:

See if you have some Andrey file with name blablafar.tga somewhere in the forest folder or subfolders then use that. If you don't find it try experimenting with different textures names, maybe you find one which matches approximately the close distance forest, use vpmedia's texture library to visualise different textures. Experiment, have fun :wink:

My load.ini mentions 2 files specifically: forest/summer/rom_ForrestFar.tga and land/summer/sk_LowLand0.tga

As these are not mod files, I don't think I have them available. Can someone tell me how to extract these .tga's or else send me the file??

I looked the files over in VP's tex library and the ForrestFar file could probably be modded to an orange-brown colour to work with an autumn set-up. Thanks.

Andrey has no relevant files in his d/l.

What I mean is experiment with entering different texture NAMES in the wood2 line of the load.ini. Doesn't matter that you don't have them available in the mods folder, fofr example try

wood2=land/summer/sk_midland0.tga
Is it ok then? If not look at the screenshots available in vpmedia texture library and if you find some texture which has colors matching the close forest colors use that fila name. In the txture library all screenshots have the names of the original textures for example the screenshot of
land/summer/sk_midland0.tga is called sk_midland0.jpg

Vpmedia's
(The link is inoperative)

Hi Mandrill7 did you manage to resolve this issue and find entries for the Wood Masks and mini masks? i'm having the same problem here and would just love to get it sorted but for the life of me cant seem to find appropriate entries, if you've managed to find some i would really appreciate your help here. TIA Ziggy-22

No, I never figured them out and no-one else has either. It doesn't seem to matter.