[MOD]: reduced airfield influence radius

Hi everybody,

EDIT: planes can now start from tarmacs without the 'snap-on' effect. In FMB, place them at a distance greater then 50 m from a runway icon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jogmzytdzzw

Not tested on carries and DOG missions. If you discover any bug, please let me know...
Big Grin

What does this mean? Thanks.

_1SMV_Gitano Wrote:Hi everybody,

this mod reduces the airfield influence on single missions and probably also on coops. Planes will spawn where you put them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jogmzytdzzw

Not tested on carries and DOG missions. If you discover any bug, please let me know...
Big Grin

you mean like in original FB ? .... way back when we could place player's plane anywhere

great Big Grin

Z

AAA is a mine of gold and I've to thank many modders for their works, but I must say that THIS IS THE ONE OF THE BEST I WAS WAITING FOR.
Just downloaded... I hope to try it tonight.

THANK YOU.

Flashsim

Don't want to sound too ignorant. I understand the spawn thing for dogfight games - or at least I hope I do.

But what kind of influence do airfields otherwise exert in the game that their influence should be reduced? Mind you, not that I've ever noticed airfields having any sort of influence on gameplay as such anyway.

I think he means the 'snap-to' effect when placing takeoff/landing points.

Joe

the 'snap-to' effect

Ohhhh .... well, not to be contrary, but I've always found it to be a handy thing when building missions. Who needs to go to all that trouble of pinpointing a landing spot? Missions building is so time-consuming as is ...

if you have ever tried making a scramble mission, I think you'd understand

Excuse me, I don't understand it either... :?

Maybe one of you, clever boys, could explain the thing to us?

Thank you.

OK, just tested on the wonderful Canon Channel map beta (thank you Canon for your map) and started the mission in front of the hangar. Now I'll be able to taxi and have a look to the airfield details (in case I'm going to be shoot down..).

.... and when the final Channel map will be available.... wow

Tomorrow I'll have a test online in a coop mission.

Tanks again.

_1SMV_Gitano Wrote:Planes will spawn where you put them.

Confusedhock: Almost sounds too good to be true after all this time and talk about "game limitations"

Just to double check - I can make mission in FMB - and place starting point of my aircraft anywhere I want to on the airfield? I can start inside a hangar now?

If so, this is a huge thing for mission builders!

_1SMV_Gitano:

At last!! This is something that an awful lot of players have wanted for a long time.

I just grabbed a map and set the waypoints for in front of a hangar and it started right there.

Something that everyone needs to be aware of: Just like setting aircraft in a field more than 800 meters away from an air base, any more than one plane in a flight will spawn a couple of hundred meters to starboard and about ten meters to the rear of the plane in front. I found this out when I put two planes in a flight. What a hoot! The second plane was parked between two hangars and took off right from there.

The next step for this would be to be able to put waypoints on the ground so the AI guys would taxi over to the end of the runway. Oops! Sorry. There's already a thread for that somewhere around isn't there?

Anyway, great mod and thanks from the bottom of my heart.

edit: Just ran a couple of quick tests. An unfortunate effect is that, on any runway - grass or concrete, single or multiple - the second, third, and fourth aircraft will line up as described above. For airfields like some on the Slovakia map and Canonuk's fine Channel map, this could be used for those 'scramble' take offs. For anything else I think this limits the 'flight' to a single aircraft.

Oh well... When I fly in situations that require more than one plane to take off from a runway I'll just disable this mod.

Great days all.

Wow.

Just d/l it and did a quick test. I placed an aircraft just off the airfield and set "takeoff" as waypoint. It did snap to the runway, but I simply moved the aircraft back off the runway, and viola - that is where the mission started. Excellent.

I will have to test it setting different waypoints and adding more aircraft, but this looks to be a great little mod here and something many of us have wanted for a looooong time Big Grin

Thanks!

This mod is a first step to make static aircraft on airfields more realistic. Is it possible to make undamaged aircraft without fuel not to disappear after some time?

narvik Wrote:This mod is a first step to make static aircraft on airfields more realistic. Is it possible to make undamaged aircraft without fuel not to disappear after some time?

Yeah! just what I'm thinking 8) I don't believe they'll disappear, I use this method on carriers so there will be planes on deck when I attack. I never had them disappear unless bombed or torpedoed.