Roads On Stock Maps Look Highly Unrealistic - Fix Possible?

In my opinion, the roads on the stock maps look highly unrealistic from the air in that there are really no normal looking curves. The curves appear to be sharp, almost perpendicular angles exclusively.

Is it possible for one of the map modders to change the road curves on the stock maps to more of a rounded, gradual turn like you see on real roads and highways?

Thanks in advance.

MGMSwordsman Wrote:In my opinion, the roads on the stock maps look highly unrealistic from the air in that there are really no normal looking curves. The curves appear to be sharp, almost perpendicular angles exclusively.

Is it possible for one of the map modders to change the road curves on the stock maps to more of a rounded, gradual turn like you see on real roads and highways?

Thanks in advance.

Is this because a curved road would require too many calculations for AI vehicles to negotiate?

The problem lies in how the game maps road textures. It's done on a pixel basis. One pixel on map_t (the texture map) contains the information for one length of road/rail. Each pixel covers 200m in the game so road lengths are already in fixed units of length. And then, because of how pixels are aranged, the roads are forced into either vertical, horizontal or diagonal arrangements.

Here's an idea though,

What if there was a way to change what kind of road it placed inside these pixels. ie: you'd still be locked into having 200m lenghts of road, but what if the texture for the road was changed so that it appeared to curve along that 200m length. Basically, make the road texture squiggly.

The only thing we'd have to worry about then would be to make sure the roads linked up correctly at the ends of each pixel so that turns and intersections still work correctly, but they would still be sharp.

Dear Canon, I think that the lone possibility of solving this totally unrealistic rapresentation of raods and railways is to create a new texture of roads and railways and superimpose it on the texture of the territory previousely elaborated; I think that would not be needed more than five or six types of curves and two or three straights for each type. The project of vehicles or trains movements on roads and railways should be an exclusive work of mission builders, imagine the wonderful opportunity to build the trajectories of the vehicles during the air strikes or inside the urban areas.
Greetings and gratitude.
Stanislao Penniello.