a couple problems with ZUTI's Slovenia map

Hi all, I was just testing out ZUTI's amazing Slovenia map, but I seem to have a couple problems, namely the colors look way different when seen from a distance, and some areas of the map don't display well. I'm running the game in excellent settings, so that might have something to do with it, but does anyone know what might cause this:

(distance colors are different, water is black)
[Image: grab0000-13.jpg]

(river disappears, then reappears, and the colors)
[Image: grab0001-14.jpg]

Because you're using 'Excellent' mode, the game uses a tga file called map_f for far views. It's tough to get a perfect colour match, The black looks like an error on map_f (just some black pixels)

ok, thanks for that Smile . I was browsing through the map's files, and on map_f, all of the water is transparency. could that be why it's showing up black? also, so if map_f controls the view, is that all that I have to edit to fix the colors?

Yes and yes. Replace the transparent rivers with a suitable colour and modify any colours in map_f to change the appearance in game.

Not sure why that river suddenly stops (in second pic) but it's probably a map_c issue.

I dont know about you guys, but both map_f files I have for Slovenia look like this:

[Image: map_f_S.jpg]

Now, thankfully I run the game in perfect mode, so I never see the map_f's.

The other anomaly I see is probably due to the fact that Zuti didnt use the transform tool with his map_C, and you get tile displacement. I should be more apparent near coast lines.

[Image: sig2.gif]
TEAM PACIFIC

Huh, that's strange. I was told that water must be transparent on map_f tgas (and it is like that also on default IL2 maps), so, it's transparent Big Grin

And the last picture Skunkmeister posted, mine look nothing like that, how the hell did you manage to get it this way Smile We are talking about 1.3 version of the map? And what anomaly are you talking about for map_c? No straight lines for shoreline?

Ii have to admit, I put less effort on map_f tgas than for other ones.

Link to my map_f for summer map:
[Image: mapfs.jpg]

The anomaly I was referring to is in the second pic that Jay posted.

TEAM PACIFIC

Yes, i thought you might be referring to that one. Well, it is strange indeed and i'm afraid i have no idea what could be wrong :\ I mean, from some angles it's fine, from different one there is no water. I'll try to fiddle with it some more, but really have no idea what is going on.

And also for black water. Any help appreciated so we get this sorted out.

Ok, figured this out.

About water disappearing and reappearing... well, all i could come up with is that it is like that in those areas where water has steep hills on the sides or where water is on a "slope", decreasing the elevation. Can't do much about that if i want to preserve the layout of map_h, hope you understand. If this is not the case... well, i'm open to any suggestions Wink

Second issue (black water) happened due to map_fs being encoded with indexing. unfortunately this one has to be regular RGB format and as such is now 3times the original size. You can re-save it yourself using gimp/PS or you can download a package that i prepared for all of you that use excellent settings and not perfect ones. But coastlines are still stupid, i must apologise for that. I did, however, repaint the map_f files so that colour differences should not be so obvious.

Link to update - look two posts down Smile

Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I'm not so sure that it is a map_h related problem.

When making your map_c, just before disecting it, do you use the transform tool? This is the tool that adds a repeating pixel at 32pix intervals. I had a similar problem when I released the beta of the Slot, many of the testers on excellent settings were complaining about rivers and coast lines chopping off rather squarely like so:

[Image: solomonsexcel.jpg]

[Image: solomonsperf.jpg]

TEAM PACIFIC

Ah yes, found that transformation tool. My problem was that i switched to Red_Wulfs map_c tool and forgot totally about original ones.

Well, the issue with disappearing water remains but tearing shorelines are pretty much gone now, thank you skunkmeister for reminding me of that transformation tool.

New link for you all (deleted previous one as this one now has mapF and mapC files):
Zuti_Slovenia_mapF_MapCUpdated.exe - 4.13MB