Stalingrad map disappointment

I'm looking to making a movie based in Stalingrad and when comparing the real Stalingrad streetmap with the one in game it hardly resembles it.

The Muraman isn't there. So having read through maps being created are there any tutorials for editing existing maps.

I'd like to basically recreate Stalingrad as it actually is and add in the important buildings.

there is no comprehensive guide. It isn't that hard, you'll have to work a lot out for yourself. see the map mods tools forum section for more info

It isn't that hard?

Gee thanks....really helpful

I went there and it is clear as mud.

XabaRus-1 Wrote:Gee thanks....really helpful

before anything , get familiar with mods structure and extract default files from game (SFS files)

when done:

1 get basic map tools pack
2 make new texture for City
3 edit actors.static ( map tools ) ... place desired buildings or recreate entire city ( unlockedFMB)
4 compile mod

reg
Z

If you are looking for some kind of modders kit or help desk, there aren't any. Everyone must read the available information (of which there is plenty) and make use of it as much as their own particular level of talent or intelligence will allow. The only way is to experiment. Pull apart a map and see how it ticks. Make notes, ask specific questions if you have some. People will do their best to answer if they know how.

I'd recommend having a look here for handy tools: viewforum.php?f=70

Also start looking through the map discussion topics. Copy and paste useful bits of information into text files on your hard drive. Assemble for yourself a scrapbook of handy tips. It is a struggle at first, but after a while you'll find things start to fall into place. :wink:

fly_zo Wrote:

before anything , get familiar with mods structure and extract default files from game (SFS files)

when done:

3 edit actors.static ( map tools ) ... place desired buildings or recreate entire city ( unlockedFMB)
4 compile mod

reg
Z
lol when I ask something, I never get as good instruction;simple enough for starter....

KG64_cnopicilin Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:

when done:

4 compile mod

reg
Z
lol when I ask something, I never get as good instruction;simple enough for starter....

those are just main guidelines ... to get a picture what is needed for such mod

IMHO they provide enough information for further detailed search/inquiry

on the other hand your LoL is worthless ... :wink:

Z

First, guys, you should hang out on the map mods boards and read thru all the past archives. For the first couple of days, you will be completely confused. Eventually, you will start to understand but by bit.

Lowfighter published a guide for modding cities that was directed at Cujo and myself, but which is useful for everyone. And it was in relation to the Stalingrad map.

Try to find those tutorials. If you can't, pls PM me and I will help you look.

Cheers wil do.

I have looked at the mods structure and I have the sfs extractor. How do I know which sfs to extract? IE which one will contain the Stalingrad map or is it a case of looking in each one?

iirc it should be in one of the fb_maps sfs. there isn't very many of them it shouldn't take to long to find it. I think your underestimating the task your undertaking though. Modding this game takes alot of trial and error and reading to understand how it all works. Remember that this game was not intended to be modded and all the tools for doing so were made by community members, so they may not be the most user friendly but most importantly they work. If you want to see your vision come to fruition then your going to have to be very disciplined and patient. Its not something your going to be able to learn over night. Best of luck with your project.

XabaRus-1 Wrote:I have looked at the mods structure and I have the sfs extractor. How do I know which sfs to extract? IE which one will contain the Stalingrad map or is it a case of looking in each one?

if you have enough free HDD space i suggest that you extract all SFS files (except sound ones if not planning to mod sound)... so you are set for any future project as well . Do get the latest filelist.txt file for SFS extractor so the most files do get extracted ( even with new filelist.txt some files won't get extracted or be in hash form ... AB2584CE2222 )

reg
Z

Cheers

I know IL-2 modding isn't easy but I'm not a noob when it comes to modding stuff before. It's not like I'm going to rush to get this done as first I just want to learn how to get to the map.

Once I have got that out and read how to alter it I'm going to look for a good streetplan of Stalingrad I can work with.

I've extracted the files and looking at the.tgs files.

They are self explanatory but one tga I can't open is map_F.tga

I'm looking through some ntes now so I'll get back to you with questions later.