Map Building for Beginners

This is a step by step guide for creating a map. It's designed for people who have never made a mod, but your game must have the mod activator installed before you can start. The tutorial just deals with the basics of map making & hardly mentions anything about textures or the workings of the "load.ini" file. The painting programme I use is "Gimp" but no knowledge of "Gimp" is required.

http://allaircraftsimulations.com/forum/...hp?t=14643

Thank you very much for all the work. This is going to help a LOT of people!!!
Big Grin

yes, many thanks from me too .... fantastic tutorial , very useful even for non english speaking users IMHO

when pass beta phase ( as requested) this will become sticky

thanks again

Z

Nice! Thanks for your effort in putting this together, kevinp.
This will allow many to hopefully produce some more great maps! 8)

Many thanks for uploading

WOW!!!!

After playing around with some large map projects this tutorial gives a very basic approach and how to to the complexities of maps c t h and f.

This is awesome :lol: Big Grin :o Smile

Before I tackle the other projects I am going to follow this to the letter on the week end with a small project.

The info is great but on a basic approach.

This gives everyone a chance to make a map without having to ask A LOT of questions on the forum as I have done in the past.

GREAT :lol:

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

A lot of thanks
8)

Excellent guide. Thanks.

Just for my info: when did microdem start working with srtm data from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp? I remember from when i started working on my map this data was superb from nasa ones, specially since it had no errors in the alps area (data from nasa is full of "black holes") but i never figured out why microdem messed up pixel mappings for it. It was always 0.something.

Thankyou very much for all your positive comments.

Sorry ZUTI but I can't answer your question all I can say is that I find Microdem an unreliable programme, it seems to have a mind of it's own.

Kevin, your tutorial showed me better ways of doing stuff I've been stumbling at with my current (and first) map project.

If you have the time and energy, I would encourage you to write the tutorials on texturing and the load.ini you suggested you might do at the end of your material.

Thanks again.

mandrill7 Wrote:Kevin, your tutorial showed me better ways of doing stuff I've been stumbling at with my current (and first) map project.

If you have the time and energy, I would encourage you to write the tutorials on texturing and the all.ini you suggested you might do at the end of your material.

Thanks again.

you mean load.ini m8 ... :wink:

all.ini is rather simple to explain : "name of map" "name of folder with map files"/"name of load.ini"

Z

Holy Smoke! I've only had a quick flip through and have already discovered loads of useful stuff - quite a lot of which is how to do stuff far more easily than I've been struggling with up to now.

Really, really appreciated, thankyou. You have probably ensured that at least some of my ongoing maps will see the light of day.

:cheers:

what size can the maps have?

3dwa21

PS: my have 6.288KBs

Excellent guide. Lots of interesting tips in there for old hands as well as new ones.

3dwa21 Wrote:what size can the maps have?

3dwa21

PS: my have 6.288KBs

Sorry for the delay in replying. I assume you want to know how big map_c can be. I was hoping someone else would answer this because I have no idea how big a map can be. The biggest I have seen is the Thailand map which is 29.9MB.
I am sure someone knows the answer to this because I remember seeing it mentioned in a post a few months ago.