How to get sharp edges between map tiles?

Pic below is from two Land/Pacific tiles (.tga, 1024x1024 pixels) that I am working on. Where they meet I am getting this fadeout, which I presume is the blurring between tiles that we normally see.
There is a sharp delineation on map_T between the tiles (no blurring) so it's nothing to do with that, just how the game works with tile edges I suppose. How do I get rid of it so the tiles make a clean join?

[Image: grab0000.jpg]

I tried opening some of the other landscape tiles, including the original Midway .tgbs, but for the life of me I can't get them or most of the other .tga files to open. Yes, I have searched and tried everything recommended but no joy. Am using Vista 64-bit which might (?) be why some of the IMF viewers don't work.

Any suggestions?

:cheers:

put a white (rgb 255) alpha channel in the texture

dg,

Would it help if you classified your tile as a "forest" texture? AFAIK, forest textures do not have the blurry fade between tiles.

Thanks guys, no luck so far though. I have managed to open up the original Midway textures however, and they look rather odd, so I'll see if there's a solution in there. Meanwhile, keep the ideas coming!

:cheers;

SOLVED IT!!! Although it seems a tad bizarre...

The .tgb's from the original Midway textures had out of place strips of detail along one side. Once I realised what they were I applied the same priciple and - Bingo!

When merging texture tiles it seems that the lower RGB value tile on map_T (e.g. Mount1 is a lower RGB value than Mount2) blurs the higher value tile next to it. I think that perhaps texture tiles are actually offset in the game in order to get a seamless transition.

EDIT: This isn't true; the RGB value in the load.ini makes no difference.

So, by adding part of the tile onto the opposite edge of the adjacent tile... I think that it will be easier to show you!

[Image: Cat_Midway_Eastern01_experimental.jpg]

Here I have copied the first 124 pixels from the left edge of the NEXT tile along to the right, and pasted them over the left edge of this tile. Thus, when this tile and the next one are placed on map_T (I painted them in using the FMB rather than attempting to actually do this on map_T) the merging effect seen before is actually placing the exact same detail over what is already there on the next tile along - thus no blurring.

Now, I've only tried this with these two tiles so far - some of my conclusions might be wrong and I'm going to have to see what happens with several tiles next to each other - some of the original Midway .tgb's are distinctly peculiar.

EDIT: I've reassembled the original Midway tiles and they are comprised of a central tile with ALL of it's relevant edge strips repeated on the other tiles around around it - there is no hard and fast one way or load.ini value rule.

I'll try and get a diagram posted.

Here's hoping...

use the offset filter in photoshop.

Thrud Wrote:use the offset filter in photoshop.

Thanks Thrud, but see my edits above. The tiles aren't offset after all.