How wide must rivers be to allow moving ships?

I read a reference to this problem in another thread. I would like to make the Dnepr navigable by ships, if possible.

Can anyone tell me if it requires a minimum width to achieve this?

I hope that this link can help you:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php? ... er+traffic

You'll find a tutorial that explains how to add moving ships on rivers in FMB.
(If link doesn't work, go to Mission4today, login, and go to ForumsPro › IL-2 Sturmovik › Mission Building › search for "Generating river traffic")

Good work! :wink:

you can make ships go anywhere if you use waypoints in the FMB.

Place a ship on the map so you can get the waypoint data to show up in hte miss file. Copy all the information after the X/Y coordinates.

Use an airplane then to plot the waypoints.

Then in the MIS file.. copy and paste the waypoint data and put it under the ships headers.

Then the info you copied out earlier from the ships waypoints. That info behind the X/Y coordinates.

Paste that over top of the data behind the coordinates in the waypoints you got from the plane.

Without resorting to the manual workaround outlined above, a rough rule of thumb appears to be that ships won't go any closer to land than 200m. Seeing as that's a pixel size on map_T it might possibly be something to do with it.
So, to get a ship moving along a river I would guess that it has to be consistently 400m+ in width. If you look at the Chindwin on the original Burma map it is possible to get ships moving along short stretches of it, but as soon as it narrows past it's critical width then the FMB won't accept them.

:cheers:

Thanks, DG. sorta what I would have guessed. Not sure I want to make the Dnepr 400m wide on my map.

Here is something that may be of interest mandrill7

Redwulf__32 Wrote:
farang65 Wrote:Thanks for the info about the .raw file. No I had not deleted it so will save it in a safe place. One thing I noticed that I could not sail a destroyer very close to shore around an island so the map h seems to recognize the coast and shallow water areas which I have not done as yet. I can see a thin transparent large in size area from shore to sea, where the coast should be.

CHEERS KIRBY

CHIANG MAI

Hi Kirby,

Being able to sail ships has nothing to do with the map_c or map_h files, it purely defined by what tile you have defined for the area in the map_t file. Use tile type "water" (value 28 to 31) to define "sailable" areas.

Hope this helps...

BTW, lets get back on track, this thread is about the CoastAlign beta tool. Bug reports please, I'd like to put it out in firm revision this weekend.

No one has mentioned ed_map_t.tga yet.

This is another way to define water land boundaries.

I've used it on Battle of France to prevent vehicles crossing rivers.
It also improved the extent of navigable areas around the coast.

Although rivers are indicated sufficiently to prevent vehicle movement I presume they are not wide enough to allow river traffic. If I made them wider then land traffic was unable to access large trips of land on the river banks.

So various factors at work:

map_T --- RGB 28
ed-map_t.tga
map_c ?

Bit of experimentation required maybe.