4GB Patcher for 32bit applications on 64bit systems ATI CTD

Hello all, this patch was alluded to in another thread viewtopic.php?t=20571&highlight=4gb+patch by Nephris but I thought I'd stick a post here so it might be easier to find. It is in the context of ATI graphics cards and memory leak CTDs. Obviously, it is for 64bit systems - look, I've said it up there in the title ;-)

Now I use Windows 7 64bit and I can't tell you if this has made a beneficial difference to the game performance, however it sounds like it should do and it certainly hasn't led to worse performance.

From the Website:

"4GB Patch
Date: 29/11/2007 Author: Daniel Pistelli
This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games, 3D renderization, multimedia etc. To gain these 2GB, you just have to use this tool to patch the executable (*.exe file) of the software you want to have these additional GBs of virtual memory. It can be used by clicking on it and choosing the file or through command line (e.g.: "4gb_patch file.exe"). It automatically creates a backup copy of the original executable."

http://ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

It doesnt work with Windows XP 32bit right?

because I have 4Gb, but I only can use 3Gb...

Thanks in advance :wink:

I think this is more about the allocation of virtual memory rather than the way your RAM is being addressed, and it's probably aimed at allowing more of that virtual memory to be available for the game when you're running a 64 bit system. Or something like that. Someone will be along who knows about these things, or hopefully will be ;-) FWIW I can't say I've noticed anything, but that could very well be because I don't know what to look out for... Undecided

how do you know if a game is written in 32 or 64 bit ?
like fsx and lockon ?

it will say x86 in the process tab against its name. If you're running a 32 bit OS I wouldn't think this will do anything as the memory addressing is limited physically by the 32 bit-ness of your setup. Il-2 is most definitely not 64 bit, dunno 'bout the others, I would think not.

Interestingly, iTunes 64bit registers as x86 in task manager, and that I think is because it's not really a 64bit program, just tweaked to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture and drivers.

I confrim that using this with starforce protected program will make it crash. So, do not aply this to lockon for exemple ( lucky that it made a backup :roll: )

The 2GB memory allocation limit for 32bit applications is due 32bit pointers. If a programmer had used 32bit pointers, then it is impossible to overcome the 2GB limit without decompilation of the code. On the program's website there is only said about internal flag, which I believe informs the operational system about program's allocation capabilities and requirements.

If an application wasn't created to benefit from the memory larger than 2GB, then simply changing the flag won't do anything. It's not so simple, I am afraid...

Possibly does nothing then. Oh well!

@RNBeavis:

You should explain why i posted that 4gb patcher to that mensioned thread and to what it refers or at least link the thread, so the user understands the context.
For people without any CTD probs the patch is actually useless.
If u post a foreign content of a thread post all relevant information!
If u r not sure about what you are posting, post it in quotes or better leave it as it is.
Posting the origin author is would be a polite behavemant by the way.

@all

Due to the problem for ATI users and with ctd on new cards of the HD series, i tried to get the point of it.
The new ati ogl drivers are memory leaking, so the 2gb (what is assign to il2fb.exe) are quickly done.
The following error occured in the log, after a ctd
Code:
An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at PC=0x6972e8c1

The 4gb patch does not spend more performance.
The 4gb patch is usefull for 64bit users only (Windows7 64bit / Vista 654 bit/...you will know if u installed it or not; by default most users use common 32bit systems.)
Means dont use it, if your system isnt crashing, with that error.
Dont use it as 32bit system user.
Using a tool just by deafult, is always a bad idea.

As i am using a 64bit system i assigned 4gb to the il2fb.exe by using that tool (4gb patcher)
Nevertheless it doesnt solve the prob at all, coz even 4gb is just the double of 2gb,means u ll have simply more time until ur game crashes.

To get rid of those ctd i tried the new catalyst 9.10beta RC7 driver that was released that week.
The combination of both, the 4gb patcher and the 9.10bRC7 seem to almost solve the problem so far, that i can stand it.
Nevertheless the ctd still occurs sometimes.

For those who are interested in the complete thread:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread ... il2&page=2

For those who are "too lazy" following the link,...the essence of all is , amd will stop the well known Ogl memory leaking issue by the release of the upcoming catalyst 9.10.

Link to download the Cat. 9.10beta Rc7 with a new OpenGL version
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalys ... l#download

Looks like u ve to copy the link adress to browser....sry.
why doesnt the url tags work for me.... :-?

Apologies for the offence I might have caused you. If you go back to the original thread this sprang from

viewtopic.php?t=20571&highlight=4gb+patch

You'll see I did link to the 1c thread you've just linked to.

Not linking back to it here was perhaps an oversight, but no harm done. I'll edit my first post to amend.