[VIDEO] Tutorial (3DS Max) Part 1; Prop Modeling!

My first (and test) tutorial is up, covering how to easly model a propeller with just a few simple steps. It also goes over a little smoothing groups and other very useful tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qv-jRK3IW0

I think next week will be wing modeling, and wing tip modeling.

Why did I pick these two things? Because from the work I have seen, its something a lot of modelers can use.

Please post comments or questions in the Youtube page. Thanks!

P.S. Just a little background on myself. Some may not know who I am, but I have modeled many aircraft FOR Oleg that are currently in the game. My aircraft include the PBY Catalina (PBN-1 Nomad), P-38, Spitfire VB and IX, Go-229, P-80, P-63, Ki-43 and maybe a few others I have forgotten. Also, back in the days during development of Pacific Fighters, I organized the 3rd party modelers. I also developed a few of the tutorials you see in this section. I also worked at Microsoft on FS11 untill it was recently canceled.

I also have worked for the Discovery channel and History channel modeling for TV shows such as Modern Marvels, Biker Buildoff, Deadly Catch, and Monster Garage. I also have 15 years of modeling experience.

So ya. I know a little about 3D modeling Wink

Thanks for that Smile

Kool video definetly some thing help for for any one who dosn't know.

This sound rude but really im not trying to be but why don't you try making a plane for IL2 while making tutorials for it? Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Cheers my friend. Big Grin

Excellent video, M8 - thanks for posting! Big Grin Looking forward to seeing more.

I have some requests: would be good if you could cover animations (landing gear and bonmb bay doors), applying smoothing groups to a finished model, modelling gear wells and bomb bay doors for larger aircraft, and texture mapping - PHEW! hope that's not too much to ask for :lol:

Also, any chance you could make these tutorials downloadable?

Many Thanks

Hawkers Big Grin

For smoothing groups, its best to do them as you model. That way, its a lot of little jobs, and not one BIG one at the end.

I can cover whats called "null smoothing" in IL2 to help smooth out doors. It uses invisible polygons. I will add that to the list.

As for downloading it, I will see what I can do. I dont have the bandwidth on my own server to host it. If I can find a good file host, I will. I use Youtube simply because of the comments and annotations.

american Wrote:This sound rude but really im not trying to be but why don't you try making a plane for IL2 while making tutorials for it? Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Currently, im un-employed and working Freelance to pay my bills. Any time I spend doing these tutorials, is another chance I dont make rent next month. Needless to say, I dont have much time to donate. I can model a prop in 2 mins, but explaining how to do it, after multiple retakes, editing, converting the file, uploading, and all of that took about 5-6 hours. Im hoping to streamline the process a bit Wink

Thanks for doing it mate Very thanks Big Grin

Ack! I got STICKIED! Heh. Thanks mods!

No prob's... thank you for doing these.

The time your taking over this is much appreciated. already very helpful. 8)

I would be lost if I even attempted to do 3D modeling but I did find this very interesting Gibbage from like a science POV. It's awesome to see the talent that just common backyard guys can develop and the abilities that were once reserved for only the most elite 3D programmers. Just having the tools that are available now and the computing power as opposed to 10 years ago is like the difference between orbiting the earth and landing on the moon. This is going to be very helpful for those that can and do 3D modeling and your instruction is very concise, good job!!

Gibbage, hope you don't mind, but I updated your post again, to included an embedded video

I dont mind at all. Thanks.

i wished i could learn that somewhere it must so awsome wenn you have those skills but i don't think with my very limited PC knowledge can ever learn that. i do however was on a deigner school but then it all was done with paper and pencils :oops: well that says something about my age also hehe.