[VIDEO] Tutorial (3DS Max) Part 3; Smoothing Groups!

This covers a section that most new artist's REALLY REALLY need to pay attention to! I cant tell you HOW many models I see with basic smoothing groups issues. If your model is suffering from random dark spots, ESPECIALLY on the trailing edges of wings or other sharp objects, pay attention!

This only covers smoothing of polygons on the same objects or elements. I will make another tutorial covering how to smooth between two SEPARATE objects, or whats called in IL2 as "null smoothing". Its covered in the non-video tutorial, but I think doing a quick video using the spheres will help people a lot. Null smoothing is how you blend in doors or separated sections of the aircraft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iswm1xKtGs

Gibbage

P.S. Check out my demo reel. Please. I have had it up there for like 3 days, and has 0 comments. Its getting lonely since the 1st tutorial has over 300 views!

Nice one mate. Clear and concise, contains a lot of explanation in a short time. Thanks a million for these 8) By the way that goes for all 3 videos :wink:

These are really good. Thanks Gibbage.

Useful vids, mate!

Thanks for all the work mate Big Grin

Hello,

Just to make sure: could you tell us how to set up aircraft blueprints and workspace in 3DS MAx 9?
Maybe I'm using the wrong method through the Viewport...

Thanks...

I already have gone over 3 views in the normal tutorials posted here. viewtopic.php?t=3198 down near the bottom.

Another excellent video - Many thanks for posting Big Grin

And looking forward to your vid on null materials Big Grin

Hawkers Big Grin

gibbage Wrote:I already have gone over 3 views in the normal tutorials posted here. viewtopic.php?t=3198 down near the bottom.

It looks like you will be posting a list of (linked) tutorials with each new tutorial on youtube. It pays to be subscribed to them. Smile

Quote:This only covers smoothing of polygons on the same objects or elements. I will make another tutorial covering how to smooth between two SEPARATE objects, or whats called in IL2 as "null smoothing". Its covered in the non-video tutorial, but I think doing a quick video using the spheres will help people a lot. Null smoothing is how you blend in doors or separated sections of the aircraft.

Hi Gibbage - any chance that you'll be doing a video tutorial on this soon? Would be a great help to me with my Do17z model.

Many Thanks in advance Big Grin

Hawkers Big Grin

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong with smoothing groups but my limited experience indicates that when you import the model into the game the game engine will smooth all surfaces which are part of a common element.

In the game engine your model objects become *.msh files. Within each msh file may be a number of "elements". So if you model a simple six sided box non smoothed, and import into the game as a single element the game engine will smooth the edges. To get sharp edges you need to split up the sides of the box into six separate elements.

In the example below the gun turrets have had the faces split into separate elements and therefore appear correctly. The rectangular vents on the deck in front were modelled with unsmoothed faces but imported as single elements and therefore are not smoothed correctly in the game.

[Image: image08-2.jpg]

Ashe