Map Building Versions of Il-2 - 4.08 vs 4.09

I've been doing some maps and when it comes to using the FMB for editing maps, I followed kevins tutorial and used a version 4.08 of Il-2 for the editing in the FMB.

However i decided to try out a 4.09 version of the game, mainly because it has more objects to place and thus a wider range of possibilities.

But when I open a map in the FMB in version 4.09 of Il-2, I get the following screen when i zoom in on a map:

[img][Image: FMB.jpg]

[Image: FMB2.jpg]

This is just a black screen with a grid superimposed. and not really usable when you are trying to replace terrain or find out where objects should be in relation to terrain. In fact, it's like working in the dark ...

Is there a reason why the version 4.09 doesn't show terrain textures when zoomed in?

And more importantly, is there a way to fix it so that it does show textures?

I have always used 4.09 for map building, with no problems.

In the drop down menus make sure the landscape display option is ticked.

Have you mark "Terrain" under "views"???
I know that are an option you can turn on/off the terrain and I think its under "views"

I'm not sure, try it and let me know :wink:

regards

asheshouse Wrote:I have always used 4.09 for map building, with no problems.

In the drop down menus make sure the landscape display option is ticked.

Thanks. I first looked at all the drop down menus, and there was a landscape option to tick, but apparently all it did was give a sliding bar to adjust landscape brightness.

I toggled the box 'show' on and off and while it did give a change, all the difference was that instead of a black background with grid, I now have a blue background with grid ... no textures are displayed.

I suppose there is a line in the conf.ini or bldconf.ini that has to be changed or something like that ...?

But those things are still beyond me, I don't dare mess around with those files on my own without knowing exactly what to change ...

This is the difference I get when toggling the landscape show box on the Ardennes map - black background or blue background. No terrain textures. Odd ...

[img][Image: FMB3.jpg]

[/img][Image: FMB4.jpg]

Now in a way, I can naturally keep on editing maps in 4.08, there are some objects that are easily added such as the dlv_Egypt and Fortifications mods ... but it's mainly the Slovakia and Rumania objects that probably won't be able to be used in 4.08 ...

Does it display ok if you swap back to FMB Mission Building mode?

Maybe you have corrupted the conf.ini or bldconf.ini files?

The black display suggests that the map_T is not being read correctly. Like when you have areas defined as land which show up black because map_c and map_T are not correctly matched.

Is it like this with all map or just some of them?

asheshouse Wrote:Does it display ok if you swap back to FMB Mission Building mode?

Maybe you have corrupted the conf.ini or bldconf.ini files?

The black display suggests that the map_T is not being read correctly. Like when you have areas defined as land which show up black because map_c and map_T are not correctly matched.

Is it like this with all map or just some of them?

This is with all the maps I have loaded so far ... 3 or 4 different ones, but all of them are standard maps included in the game version 4.09, none were made by modders ...

I figure as well that it has something to do with my conf.ini/bldconf.ini ... but I didn't change it much around except for the screen resolution and of course the map building commands.

It may be something to do with not running perfect settings in your config although I could be wrong,
are you running perfect or excellent settings in your config

Do you have a BackUp of your config file to try in case it has become corrupted ?

My Map Editor install works fine on 4.09,maybe try a different screen resolution as you say that this is all you have changed

Keep having good conversations with you.

When Fred got me interested in maps I always had that problem with Full fmb in 4.09.
It wasn't until when Fred made a visit to Chiang Mai and supplied me with his build.ini and conf.ine files.

That for me was the first time to see the true full FMB and what it could do.

Some time ago I lost Fred's files and went sourcing around in search but still ran into the same problem as you.

I eventually asked Mr.Oblongo for his build.ini and conf.ini and they work fine.

I run map making on perfect no problem.

If you want these files e mail me

at kjdale69@hotmail.com.

I also have some other texture goodies just done today that you may want to see as well.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

farang65 Wrote:Some time ago I lost Fred's files and went sourcing around in search but still ran into the same problem as you.

I eventually asked Mr.Oblongo for his build.ini and conf.ini and they work fine.

I also have some other texture goodies just done today that you may want to see as well.

Lamphun

Thanks - that was the solution!

I copied my conf.ini/bldcnf.ini from my version 4.08 Map building version of Sturmovik and put them into my 4.09 Map building version of Il-2. Now I can access all objects standard to the 4.09 version (Slovakia objects etc..)

So at least for today all is well with the world ... ha ha

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, probably because I didn't think version 4.08 and version 4.09 con.ini files were compatible ... they are apparently.

As for your offer of textures - indeed I would be interested in seeing them. I've been on a quest for the perfect texture types since a few months and have since made about 1000 new textures, most of them being in the Monty Python category (utter crap). But a few are worth using.

So yes I'd love to see yours.

I'll send you some drier textures of some that you may be able to use
Even a palm plantation texture. It's reasonably dry looking as well.
Might be used for a date palm plantation.

They are all 512x512 Gimp.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun