Calibrated USAAF/USN/LW Reticles v3.2 - with new F2A-2 sight

JAMF Wrote:
Lurch1962 Wrote:JAMF,
To get 24V, simply connect two 12V batteries in series. That is, connect one batt's neg. terminal to the other.s pos. terminal. Then connect the sight's lamp circuit to the other two terminals. Easy Peasy!
Maybe if you have them lying around. 8) I do now how to get 24V theoretically, as I still have the basic knowledge. Like calculating "Tau" for a cap&resistor circuit or resistance of a parallel/serial mixed resistor circuit. It's the practice of the thing. Smile

12V is nigh invisible in the daytime, so it was 12V at night-time for some good shots:

Ah, very nice, thanks. I've been tweaking the color and glow effect a bit, and this is what I have so far:
[Image: qaflwkbugo.jpg]

I'll probably have to tone down the intensity in order for it to look right during the day. We would really need HDR lighting in order for it to look realistic in all lighting conditions (and no matter how much I fiddle with the lighting settings, I can't manage to make the glare filters useful).

(The speckle is from JPEG compression, but I don't know why there's such a sharp edge on the glow. The texture is bigger than that border shows.)

Very, very nice... Big Grin

JAMF, and NonWonderDog,
Do be aware that running an incandescent lamp at half voltage results in 1/4 intensity. Also, the color temperature changes noticeably, becoming redder. Such a filament-based lamp when operated nominally already has a low enough temperature to have its peak emission in the invisible near-IR. At 1/4 power output the peak not only drops in intensity, but moves a bit farther into the IR, which is what results in that light which is visible appearing redder.

The above notwithstanding, I'd think that a gun sight lamp would be driven at a higher-than-otherwise-desirable voltage so as to maximize reticle visibility but not result in a lamp life shorter than, say, several hours. In such conditions the filament will certainly be a more whitish-yellow than orange. Buttressing this supposition of mine is the fact that pilots seemed to be always concerned with lamp burn-out, and always had a few spares in the cockpit.

So, my recommendation is to go back to the yellower color.

Mediocre minds discuss people. Good minds discuss events. Great minds discuss ideas.

NonWonderDog Wrote:(The speckle is from JPEG compression, but I don't know why there's such a sharp edge on the glow. The texture is bigger than that border shows.)
Looks good! 8)

The sharp edge would indicate that just a part of the total texture area is actually being used.

@Lurch: I already commented on the shift to red and I agree that gunsight in daylight, being run at near maximum wattage, will give a near white look. As it is now, we don't have the luxury to change the brightness (or numbers in the MAT file) of the reticle in game "on the fly" (AFAIK). So it's going to be a compromise between day and night looks.

Lurch1962 Wrote:So, my recommendation is to go back to the yellower color.
Yeah, that one was a bit too pink for daytime. I've made them yellower (see first post).

JAMF Wrote:The sharp edge would indicate that just a part of the total texture area is actually being used.
Actually, it's because the area of the texture beyond the sharp edge was being rendered behind the canopy glass, which was masking it. I've fixed it now.

Version 2.0 up, see the first post. This one has better textures and includes reticles for the Navy planes and for the British Mk.IID GGS (which shares its reticles with the K-14).

Telescopic gunsights aren't included. The default ones probably aren't very accurate, but I don't have any references for them.

There should probably be some pretty bad banding if you still run in 16 bit color. So don't do that.

Great Work! many, many Thanks!

Does anyone have any info on the Revi C/12N or 16N gunsight reticles? I have a description (and my poor attempt at translation):
[quote]Leuchtendes Strichkreuz mit unterbrochenen linien und durchgehendem Zielstachel. Vorhaltekreis 10% der Entfernung. Strichl

Very impressive work on these reticles, thank you.

Thank you for your job and dedication.

This was much needed... I am also a historic air gunnery fan.

I managed to get the Bf 110G-4 Sch

I told myself I wouldn't change gunsight models until I'd finished all the reticles, but I hate the Revi 16B models. So, I am currently fitting a heavily modified version of the Revi 16B model from the Do-335 to every plane that mounts the gunsight.

I might try to remap and retexture the whole thing, and I've added lots more detail around the lens since these pictures, but here's a sample:

[Image: orzglobkwd.thumb250.jpg][Image: zxnnweabja.thumb250.jpg]

[Image: esaisvldnx.thumb250.jpg][Image: azlsdlhdju.thumb250.jpg]

Interestingly, I had to scale the gunsight up 15% from the real dimensions for it to fit the cockpit. I'm not quite sure why. It appears that whoever made the original gunsight model only scaled it up in two dimensions, too, resulting in the familiar squished look. I think the gunsight should be further back in the 190, but I'd probably have to figure out how to change the viewpoint if I move it.

Is there the option to make the K14 compatible to botox P51-D cockpit repaint, and maybe finally editing the missing Spit reticle, one of the IX models

Steel Wrote:Is there the option to make the K14 compatible to botox P51-D cockpit repaint, and maybe finally editing the missing Spit reticle, one of the IX models

I haven't seen the missing Spitfire reticle, but there are two ways to make this compatible with a P-51D cockpit mod.

If you use the "no persistent cross" mod all you have to do is delete hier.him from both the "0_NWD_Reticles/3do/cockpit/P-51D-20(K14)" and "0_NWD_0Reticles_K-14 without persistent cross/3do/cockpit/P-51D-20(K14)" folders. The second one is just a copy of the default file, included to disable my edits.

If you don't use the "no persistent cross" mod, you have to replace "0_NWD_Reticles/3do/cockpit/P-51D-20(K14)/hier.him" with the hier.him file from the cockpit repaint and change the first few lines from this:
Quote:[Z_Z_RETICLE]
Mesh Z_Z_RETICLE
Parent _ROOT_
Attaching 0 -1 0 0 0 1 -1 0 0 9.27373 0 1.06933
to this:
Quote:[Z_Z_RETICLE]
Mesh Z_Z_RETICLE
Parent _ROOT_
[Z_Z_RETICLE0]
Mesh Z_Z_RETICLE0
Parent _ROOT_

I guess I'll throw in a WIP shot [updated June 17], too:
[Image: sqoavvrnjr.thumb250.jpg]

There's a bit left to do, but it's coming along nicely. I really couldn't stand the old Revi 16B models. I'll probably add the mounting hardware too, so it doesn't just look like it's floating there in the Fw 190.

@NonWonderDog

This is one awesome piece of work you've done here. I can