Calibrated USAAF/USN/LW Reticles v3.2 - with new F2A-2 sight

This is very WIP, since it's hard to make this look decent:

[ugly WIP shots removed]

I've got a problem, though. I was able to remove all the code related to the telescope, but I am utterly unable to change the CAMERAAIM hook for this plane (the Shift-F1 view position). Nothing I do has any effect, and the view is always affixed to the end of the sight tube. I can change the CAMERA hook without any problems. [EDIT: It's fixed.]

(I go on vacation, and when I get back Filefront no longer has an image hosting service. That is annoying.)

Check your PMs Smile

I finally fixed it. It turns out that there was a second copy of CAMERAAIM in another mesh (one that was used by the old telescope code to mask off the cockpit). I deleted the extraneous meshes, and it now works correctly.

Here's what I'm going with:
[Image: th_MkIII_WIP.jpg][Image: th_MkIII_WIP_gunsight.jpg]

The reticle is probably wrong, but it's also probably close. As far as I know, the field of view is correct (nearly 20

Big Grin

[Image: th_MkIII_WIP_Refraction.jpg]

That was much easier than I expected.

[EDIT]
...and now it works without disabling visual engine damage. I thought that seemed too easy. Now I just need to fix the ugly backup sight and I can move on to something else.

I also just found a copy of the Aircrewman's Gunnery Manual, and it's a gold mine. It turns out that I was completely wrong when I said a 35 mil reticle sounded unlikely. It turns out that every USAAF and USN defensive gun used a 35 mil reticle (even on the ring and bead sights). I still don't see any reason for a fighter to have a 35 mil rather than a 50 mil reticle, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Even with my fancy new manual, though, I don't understand why this N-6 gunsight reticle seems to have a notch in it. It doesn't look like damage -- it's etched into glass, and it wouldn't become "more etched" if it was scratched. That notch in the reticle seems to be present in this illustration, too. Is the first reticle damaged in some weird way, and the second illustration a coincidence? Was it a ranging mark? Did it spin to indicate turret facing or something?

I did run into one reference to USAAF "70 mil" reticles being identical to USN "35 mil" reticles. That makes things confusing, because I thought that USAAF reticles were cataloged by crossing speed, weapon type, and radius.

Reticules look nice, but I noticed the Mig 9 has 4 aiming reticules in the class instead of just one....lol. All the others I checked looked just fine, was there some other pre reticule mod I needed to have?

=DFA=BeoWolf Wrote:Reticules look nice, but I noticed the Mig 9 has 4 aiming reticules in the class instead of just one....lol. All the others I checked looked just fine, was there some other pre reticule mod I needed to have?

That's a problem with the MiG-15 mod, not this one. Go back to Ranwers' MiG-15 thread, there's a fix for that.

NonWonderDog Wrote:I did run into one reference to USAAF "70 mil" reticles being identical to USN "35 mil" reticles. That makes things confusing, because I thought that USAAF reticles were cataloged by crossing speed, weapon type, and radius.

Yep I agree, it can be a bit confusing. I did a bunch of research on this about 10 years ago, bought a bunch of old manuals on ebay. The USAAF 70 mil reticle was a 35 mil radius 70 mil diameter sight and was usually referred to as a 70 mph sight. This meant that you would use one "ring" or 35 mils of lead for every 70 mph of estimated target speed at a 90 degree deflection shot. A 100 mph sight (50 mil) radius was a lot more popular because the math was easier. I crunched the numbers a long time ago and I remember that the USN method came up with very close to the same amount of deflection using a different method. The explanation can get a bit blah blah but I can post some stuff I wrote at the time if anybody wants it. Anyhoo keep pressing on your doing some great work.

OK, patch time.

NWD_Gunsights v.3.1
[Image: th_MkIII_wide.jpg][Image: th_MkIII_gunsight.jpg][Image: th_MkIII_iron.jpg]
[Image: th_MkVIII_wide.jpg][Image: th_MkVIII_gunsight.jpg]

[get v.3.2 instead]

This doesn't include everything else in v.3, it's just a patch.

The patch fixes the TBF/TBM cockpit (and switches it to an F2A cockpit with a Mk.VIII sight), and adds a more realistic Mk.III Mod 2 collimator to the F2A-2. This has some pretty radical changes in it, so tell me if you're missing an engine cowling or something. If you don't like the new cockpit eye level (it is a bit low), say so. I can make the default view look through the ring and bead sight again as an option.

Since I was modifying the script, I also took the opportunity to fix a bunch of little things in the F2A-2 cockpit. Included in the fixes is a realistic compass with properly simulated dip errors for a 40

[quote="NonWonderDog"]Since I was modifying the script, I also took the opportunity to fix a bunch of little things in the F2A-2 cockpit. Included in the fixes is a realistic compass with properly simulated dip errors for a 40

Hi nice work here but i found that i have messed upgunsights in Fw-190 A6, reticles is in place but gunsight body is in the left of the cockpit -90

[quote]Hi nice work here but i found that i have messed upgunsights in Fw-190 A6, reticles is in place but gunsight body is in the left of the cockpit -90

Great news. And what about the gunsights for Freddy's P-51 cockpit repaints ?

Whoops.

[v.3.2 now includes compatibility fix for Freddy's P-51 cockpits]

NWD_Gunsights_v3.2
Filefront
Mediafire

The compass mod in v.3.1 only really worked right at 1G. Now I've fixed it to read exactly as it should no matter what your attitude or acceleration. The only thing missing is the underdamped oscillation most of these things exhibit, and I'm not going to model that.

For those who don't know, you must be in straight and level flight at a constant airspeed in order to get an accurate compass reading. If you are pitched, banked, yawed, or accelerating, your compass will read incorrectly. (If you're wondering, the error shown on the F2A-2's compass is exactly the error that would be shown on a real compass if you were flying somewhere with a 40

Good Job on the the gunsights ! they look alot better . I do have a question that maybe you or someone can help me with . On the early 109's ( E-1 thru E-4 ) and Me-110 C , they used the Revi 3 D gunsight
for reference the Ta-183 uses this sight in game , is there a way to copy this gunsight to the 109's / 110's ?

Thanks in advance
Bolt