Just lost a dogfight to a bomber + emergency landing

After being killed by a P38, decided to stop dismissing its value in multiplayer and give it a try. Once I learned how well it could climb it became my plane of choice (for now)

So just 30 minutes ago I was on the AAA server flying some pacific map (cant remember which one, it was the one after the vietnam map) and I see an unidentified B29. It appears to be flying towards the bases on my side of the map but judging by the smoke coming out of one engine I guess that it is a friendly bomber returning to base. So I head over to him because he might need some cover on the way home. Turns out it's an enemy bomber without any kind of fighters support, so I move to cut him off. Once I was within 1.00 I opened fire. I didn't seem to be doing any significant damage (though I knew I was hitting him by the debris flying past me) so I kept moving in, dodging most of the tail-gunner's shots. I traded some altitude for speed, hoping to get close and attack the bomber from below, but this just put me right where the gunner wanted me because I he began scoring way more hits than before. I ended up with a fuel tank leak but kept attacking, hoping I could take him down and then go straight back to base. Instead I ran out of ammo and had to disengage, leaving the bomber pretty much intact.
Unfortunately, as I was setting up my approach, I accidentally pressed g and extended my gear at 300 kmh. then just as I was making the final approach I ran out of fuel. I had no power and no landing gear, but I still was able to put her down on the runway and walk away from the wreckage.

still seems kind of cool except for the reason I had to do the belly landing

Good story man. All except for the part where you got peppered Big Grin I would try a high side attack. Get above and slightly to the side of the bombers. Then dive allmost straight down on them. Learn to aim at certain points like an engine or wing root. You can recover back to your perch after each pass and do it again. Coming in straight and level on any bomber will usually end up in a loss for the fighter pilot.

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing...

That's what I thought but I'm not sure how the game scores landings like that

I prefer a head on pass myself. You're harder to hit ( however that works both ways) and you have a better shot at killing the pilot.