Angled Deck Carriers?

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone was working on, or if it is even possible, to have angled deck carriers in the game? With Korean war era jets showing up it would make carrier ops a little easier for sure

Carriers were not having angled decks until post-Korea as I understand it.

It'd be nice, but seems like many of the Midway class carriers were upgraded to angled decks after Korea. It could open the door to Vietnam for IL-2, but doubt the game engine will support guided missles :?

Triad773 Wrote:Carriers were not having angled decks until post-Korea as I understand it.

It'd be nice, but seems like many of the Midway class carriers were upgraded to angled decks after Korea. It could open the door to Vietnam for IL-2, but doubt the game engine will support guided missles :?

The game engine surely will not support the HUD's of that era, guided missiles, or anything like that... And since Angled Decks didn't appear until after Korea, then He's right, I see no point in making them.

Yeah I guess you're right, i thought they were Korea era but now that I look on wikipedia it seems the earliest angled deck carriers saw service was 1954, and I agree with the other thread pointing out that trying to make vietnam era aircraft in IL2 is a little ridiculous

Vietnamn era combat is not supported simply because aircraft speeds are capped to 1000kmh and FM modelling stops at 10000m by the game enginge.

I was just watching a doco on carriers today. The Midway class was initially straight (like most WW2 aircraft carriers). After Korea, it was modernized. Look at the Wikipedia page and you can roughly trace this class's history. BUT what was revolutionary was the guidance system that allowed pilots to judge the angle of descent and the armour plated flight deck.

But yeh, angled flight decks are more of an ealry 60s design and such, those aircraft are beyond the scope of this game engine

I think this would actually be a great idea. If people are modelling early Navy jets and the Korean era then an angle deck carrier might be good (even though they didn't participate in the conflict). The USS Anteitam was converted during the Korean War to evaluate the angle deck and carried out operational testing from early 1953 onward. Also, many carriers operating off Korea had the the SCB-27 mod which included a modified island (although no angle deck), so these might also be good to consider.

I don't advocate Vietnam ops like many people but I think the inclusion of Korean era objects would be good for the sim and help generate even more interest. I've seen talk of adding a MiG-17 and although it's not a Korean War aircraft it was definately developed and become operational during that time.

Stretch

Hello,

Were Russians the only ones to build such post-WWII carriers?(see below): I wonder if there was at least one like that during WWII?

[Image: kouznetsov2.jpg]

I'm not sure about that because I researched it on the Net and didn't find any information regarding typical Russian carriers of the 1980's existing during WWII...

If the answer is negative, it would still be interesting to add it to IL-2 1946 as a non-historical mod...

It would be great that someone creates this mod for fun....

Russians never got that much interest in carriers so no, until the Kuzt, came arround tehy onlly had mixed carriers, half cruiser half carrier with a very poor aircraft on board, the YAk 38, that wa snowhere comparable to the Harrier, and later teh Yak 141 was a total fiasco...

After all they can reach anywhere they want from their land bases from any of the Warsaw Pact bases. They never needed Carriers to excersise air power projection.

AIRdomination Wrote:
Triad773 Wrote:Carriers were not having angled decks until post-Korea as I understand it.

The game engine surely will not support the HUD's of that era, guided missiles, or anything like that... And since Angled Decks didn't appear until after Korea, then He's right, I see no point in making them.
thenextcujo Wrote:Yeah I guess you're right, i thought they were Korea era but now that I look on wikipedia it seems the earliest angled deck carriers saw service was 1954, and I agree with the other thread pointing out that trying to make vietnam era aircraft in IL2 is a little ridiculous
Anto Wrote:Vietnamn era combat is not supported simply because aircraft speeds are capped to 1000kmh and FM modelling stops at 10000m by the game enginge.

I was just watching a doco on carriers today. The Midway class was initially straight (like most WW2 aircraft carriers). After Korea, it was modernized. Look at the Wikipedia page and you can roughly trace this class's history. BUT what was revolutionary was the guidance system that allowed pilots to judge the angle of descent and the armour plated flight deck.

But yeh, angled flight decks are more of an ealry 60s design and such, those aircraft are beyond the scope of this game engine
ha you guys are all wrong lol

And I am GLAD :Smile)

thenextcujo Wrote:Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone was working on, or if it is even possible, to have angled deck carriers in the game? With Korean war era jets showing up it would make carrier ops a little easier for sure
hammer2787 Wrote:
AIRdomination Wrote:

thenextcujo Wrote:Yeah I guess you're right, i thought they were Korea era but now that I look on wikipedia it seems the earliest angled deck carriers saw service was 1954, and I agree with the other thread pointing out that trying to make vietnam era aircraft in IL2 is a little ridiculous
Anto Wrote:Vietnamn era combat is not supported simply because aircraft speeds are capped to 1000kmh and FM modelling stops at 10000m by the game enginge.

Cool, that's what we had back in 2009 Big Grin