[MOD] P-38J Lightning cockpit, with new working gauges v1.3

JAMF Wrote:Thank you all for your kind words. I'm happy you all like it. Poncho should get a lot of credit, as he did the Java and mesh magic.

fly_zo Wrote:.. medium one works best here (1280x1024 LCD )

thank you m8 Big Grin

Z
p.s just wondering ... is there frame makeover somewhere in to do list ? ( it's no biggie if not though)
Well, as I have not installed any separate mods besides UI1.1 yet, I want to install some sounds, maps, effects and aircraft and have a look at Kokoda, BoB and some others. You know, "all work and no play..." Wink So if some real artists want to dabble with it, I'm all for it. Big Grin I have some skills making textures work, but I don't have the skills that for instance Mangas is displaying with his great work on the P-39.

eh we can't all be Avala , vpmedia or Mangas .... but that shouldn't discourage you , i'm sure you will do a great job with textures as well as you did with instruments . I know that i will appreciate them Big Grin

BTW, if you're interested in having glass effect on your gauges ... drop me a PM

thanks again
Z

NonWonderDog Wrote:AHA! Poking around in fb_3do06, it seems that, for some inexplicable reason, mipmapping is turned off for all of the panel textures. I've extracted gauges1.mat through gauges4.mat and changed "tfMipMap 0" to "tfMipMap 1" -- that fixed most of the problem. I'll go through and find the other textures that need mipmapping later.

Great work on the textures, though, thanks!
I'll let you beta test next time. Big Grin Thanks for the help. I'll send you a PM with (one of) my mail-addresses, so I can update the DL or provide them as a patch.

fly_zo Wrote:BTW, if you're interested in having glass effect on your gauges ... drop me a PM
PM inbound in... 5... 4... Wink

Yes! bring on the glass look.... Big Grin

JAMF Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:BTW, if you're interested in having glass effect on your gauges ... drop me a PM
PM inbound in... 5... 4... Wink

replied ... hope you'll like it

reg
Z

Thanks Zo! I will check it tomorrow. Bedtime here.

JAMF Wrote:I'll let you beta test next time. Big Grin Thanks for the help. I'll send you a PM with (one of) my mail-addresses, so I can update the DL or provide them as a patch.

The default mipmapping is actually a bit overaggressive, so it's not perfect. Blurry is better than aliased, though, and it's still high resolution when you zoom in. I can't figure out how to change mipmap bias yet.

I found another bug, though. The night textures are supposed be 8 bit grayscale targas; they're currently 32 bit. This makes bits of the panel go dark when you turn the lights on, and it also means that the textures take up 4x as much memory as they should. I can send you fixed versions if you want.

Great :!: And it's even beta yet (meaning full version will be even better) Big Grin

Pooch Wrote:Skull, Lightnings never got the "acemaker."

WRONG !

The P-38L-5-LO (P-38L_Late in game) were equipped with the K-14 Gunsight, except few of the very early production batch.

BTW, a really BIG Thank You fron the deep of my heart for the outstanding cockpit!

thanks for the new link, and for this lovely pit Big Grin Big Grin

Pooch Wrote:Skull, Lightnings never got the "acemaker."

Sigh

Check this link out here viewtopic.php?t=2201&highlight=p38+k14

It seems that it was mounted in some aircraft, we could also surmise that the war department prioritized K14's to 51's and 47's as they assumed the air superiority role from the 38. But we have photographic evidence in that link and for crying out loud! We've got so many one offs and fantasy projects going on here that putting a k14 in a 38L should be among the least improbable mods that anyone does.

SB

Thanks bigbossmalone and JAMF for your replies.
I have Photoshop from skinning, so Now that I know what files to look at, I'll give it a go, and get my woman off my back, She's always saying Who's this Lilo chick on your dash. So I explain, and she mutters something about I should fix that. hehehe

bigbossmalone Wrote:TOAD, go here: viewtopic.php?t=7963&highlight=girlfriend+pics
read through the thread, you'll find what you need to know there... 8)

JAMF Wrote:I typed out a reply, but then it wouldn't submit. It wasn't lost, so I'll paste it anyway, or else all that typing was wasted. Wink

T_O_A_D Wrote:I'm not much into Modding myself, but just what would I need to know to change the Picture of the girls in the Modded pits to my own Dame.

Any graphics editing programme that can handle TGAs will do. I'll just mention two free ones: Paint.NET and GIMP. I prefer using Paint.NET, as it's smaller, faster and with less options also less confusing.

Image size is ca. 155-160 wide, by 180-190 high. If you resize your image to that, you can (copy with [CTRL+C] and then) paste it as a new layer into the Panel.TGA...

Paint.NET:
...with [CTRL+SHIFT+V], then move it into position if you click on the "blue" arrow (top right of the tools) {or press key M} and rotate it by grabbing a virtual/imaginary point (outside the image, it increases accuracy of the rotation) with using the right mouse-button.

GIMP:
I don't know the "paste as new layer" key-combo for GIMP, so it would require the use of the menu.
EDIT-> Paste As -> new layer. Then move it into position if you click on the move tool from the toolbox (Blue cross with arrow endings) {or press key M}. Rotating the image is done with the rotate tool (3 icons to the right of move) {Or press key combo [Shift+R]} and using the left mouse-button.

Merge layer down and save as 24Bit TGA (No RLE compression).

I'm doing some materials editing and panel reflections for JAMF and, well, this is just too pretty not to share:

Indirect sunlight:
[Image: dayaftdojp.thumb250.jpg]

Direct sunlight:
[Image: qkqidmrvyl.thumb250.jpg]

Direct moonlight:
[Image: uffsswwcnr.thumb250.jpg]

I'll finish up and send it off to JAMF today or tomorrow.

Looks great, thanks. The suction gauge has been acting as though it's a mirror, hopefully that'll fix it.

Not sure if it's just me, but the alpha seems to be broken on some of the HR gauges. It's nothing I can't fix easily myself, but I'm wondering if anyone else has the same or if it's just some stuff-up on my end.

Fly_zo, I hope you didn't mind me passing your glass work on to NWD? He just sounded like he knew what he was doing, unlike me. Big Grin

rossmum Wrote:Looks great, thanks. The suction gauge has been acting as though it's a mirror, hopefully that'll fix it.

Not sure if it's just me, but the alpha seems to be broken on some of the HR gauges. It's nothing I can't fix easily myself, but I'm wondering if anyone else has the same or if it's just some stuff-up on my end.
Yeah, I'm really happy with the work NonWonderDog is doing, as it looks like he's got all the bases covered as far as the bugs. The bugs are there, because I have no clue what I'm doing, when I change the textures. I go for the best possible quality I can achieve, but I didn't know that saving a night TGA in 24Bit/32Bit would create that grey square bug. I've learned that now, from NWD. Big Grin 8)

Take your time NWD. They have a toy to play with now and the upgrade already looks gob-smacking gorgeous!!! Confusedhock:

JAMF Wrote:Fly_zo, I hope you didn't mind me passing your glass work on to NWD? He just sounded like he knew what he was doing, unlike me. Big Grin

no problem..... it's your project

Z