Italy Map in the Works - for Salerno and Anzio Landings

Just thought I'd show some screenshots for another new map in the works. This one for southern Italy which would mainly be for missions around the Salerno and Anzio landings and the fighting around Monte Cassino ...

It won't be finished till after the summer, unless something unexpected pops up, like for instance learning how to auto-populate maps ... otherwise it should be a nice looking map in which the landscape colors and textures have already come together very harmoniously ...

A few screenshots of flying around Vesuvius and in the Apennines ...

[img][Image: Italy-000.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-001.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-002.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-008.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-007.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-006.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-005.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-004.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-003.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-010.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-009.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-011.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-012.jpg]

[/img][Image: Italy-013.jpg]

[img][Image: Italy-014.jpg][/img]

Cool! Look forward to it!
But I think you meant 1942, not 1924 Big Grin

DaBomb746 Wrote:Cool! Look forward to it!
But I think you meant 1942, not 1924 Big Grin

The intro screen will probably change around - what i meant to refer was the installation of the Fascist State in Italy after the March on Rome ... maybe that date is a bit too early to start talking about Empire ... maybe the Abyssinian War might be a better date to start from, 1936-1943 ...

I just put the intro map together in a bit of try-out, maybe i'll find some other material to use as graphic add-ons ... or a catchier phrase ... 'Dreams of Empire Shattered' maybe ...

Whatever ...

Looks good, thats a map i could use! knock it on a few years to 1945 and we could have Versuvias in full eruption! just one question mate....... do you ever sleep?

[quote=" just one question mate....... do you ever sleep?[/quote]

Sure ... just like everyone else ... making maps is not that hard to do once you have the system down for making them ... you do have to LIKE doing them however, as the satisfaction at the achievement is the main recompense you're likely to get ... for instance what is crazy is that I haven't flown a single real planned-for-fun mission in any of my own maps ... ha ha

Seriously though, the satisfaction is knowing that others use them with pleasure (hopefully) and that cartographically speaking, no place on Earth is inaccessible anymore. You know, I grew up in an age when earth satellites were yet to be shot into orbit ... now, all these years later, we're not taking vacations on the Moon or Mars as predicted way back then, but I can however download terrain data from any place conceivable and satellite photos and map data and use it for whatever I wish. This kind of stuff was TOP SECRET military classified back in those days.

Now its for free. That's almost enough to get a natural high ... ha ha.

Top class work (as always)! :!:

Hi mate!

Great screenshots by a great map!!!

I'll look forward for it!!!

cheers

walter

SEMPER INCOMMODUS

Oh, we're going to need landing strips around Vesuvius. Smile It also erupted, when the 57th FG was stationed at Arcola (early '44? Dunno). It was described in "Air-To-Ground Battle for Italy", by Michael C.. McCarthy.

Great job! Lookin' forward to it!

[Semi OT] Because of the post in the WW2 magazines thread, I went looking for some pictures of Vesuvius eruption. I found some:
http://www.warwingsart.com/12thAirForce/Vesuvius.html

Clip:
http://tr.truveo.com/mount-vesuvius-las ... 4001308150
(If using NoScript, allow "5min.com" and "truveo.com")

Funny they had a bit of dyscalculia (dyslexia with numbers) and said B-52 instead of B-25, stationed at Poggiomarino/Terzigno. Smile (1'35")

Another, more original without sound, used in the above clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRX3LkcGrb0