Useful tool: FPS Limiter v0.2

This tool doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere on these forums so I thought I'd let you guys know about it, in case anyone here hadn't heard of it and finds it useful...

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zzggw2zmym

It's a tool for limiting your framerate and thereby removing the perceived stuttering that can happen with V-Sync turned on.

Let's say your screen refresh is set at 60Hz, and your computer can (99% of the time) run IL2 at 30fps or more. Then you can turn triple buffering off (which incidentally will free up some VRAM and reduce input lag) and use the FPS Limiter to cap your framerate at 30. You should then see a smooth 30fps (with each frame being displayed twice by the monitor) instead of the potentially juddery 30-60fps which can otherwise happen with V-Sync (especially in games like IL2 where the framerate can go from 30 to 300 and back to 30 in a heartbeat).

It doesn't always work right in all games (the Doom 3 engine and its fooked up ticrate springs to mind) but it works well for me in IL2.

Thanks for Bringing this to our AttentionWink But, how do you install it? And how do you use it? No instructions in the Readme..

Put the files in a folder e.g. C:\Program Files\FPS Limiter

Run the FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar file, then select OpenGL and click "search executable" then select il2fb.exe (or whatever) and click "create bat".

That will create a .bat file in the C:\Program Files\FPS Limiter folder. LEAVE IT THERE. The batch file needs to be in that folder to work. Right click on the .bat file and select "send to desktop as shortcut". Voila - you now have a desktop shortcut which will lauch IL2 limited to 30fps. Smile

If you want to limit it to something else other than 30 then you can specify it in the GUI before clicking "create bat". Note, however, that it only accepts integers... so if you have your screen refresh at 75Hz then you have a problem because you can't limit to 37.5fps.

"Note, however, that it only accepts integers... so if you have your screen refresh at 75Hz then you have a problem because you can't limit to 37.5fps."

So you are saying that you MUST set the FPS limit to HALF of your refresh rate?

Aviar

Aviar Wrote:"Note, however, that it only accepts integers... so if you have your screen refresh at 75Hz then you have a problem because you can't limit to 37.5fps."

So you are saying that you MUST set the FPS limit to HALF of your refresh rate?

Aviar

No, you can limit it to anything, but unless you use R/2 or R/3 or R/4 (etc), where R is your refresh rate, then the results won't be much of an improvement on normal VS+TB.

So if your refresh rate is 90Hz, for example, then you should set it to either 45 or to 30. If you set it to 45 then you should enable triple buffering unless you're certain that your machine can manage a minimum of 45fps at all times. Same goes for 30, for that matter.

Also.... you can't use it along w/ Hyper Lobby... it Just Launches il2 as a Stand alone...Hmmm thx . But will only be useful for video recording..

Sorry but could you explain this again how to install this FPS limiter? We are not all so computer savy...
Decompress this rar file into a folder ( I got this) but then what? How do you run the FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar file? Then we shall select OpenGL:do you mean OpenGL_Limiter? And then we shall open this dll. with the il2fb.exe to create a bat file? I am somewhat confused here...

I think some of us like me need more help here... :-?

Cheers,

Eckhart

Eckhart Wrote:How do you run the FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar file?

You double-click on it. After that the answers to all your other questions should become obvious.

11th_AF_19~KILO Wrote:Also.... you can't use it along w/ Hyper Lobby... it Just Launches il2 as a Stand alone...Hmmm thx . But will only be useful for video recording..
Contact to server with IP?

... works ok on Win7 64 NV 9800 GT 512 ( vert sync on ... triple buff. off) but i must admit i haven't notice any performance boost ... still having micro stutters

anyways , thanks for posting ... will try it more thoroughly

reg
Z

fly_zo Wrote:... works ok on Win7 64 NV 9800 GT 512 ( vert sync on ... triple buff. off) but i must admit i haven't notice any performance boost ... still having micro stutters

reg
Z

Blimey, on that card I should think you could run at 60fps all the time and forget the FPS Limiter, unless your framerate is CPU limited...

BTW is that a PCIe or an AGP card?

onelifecrisis Wrote:
fly_zo Wrote:... works ok on Win7 64 NV 9800 GT 512 ( vert sync on ... triple buff. off) but i must admit i haven't notice any performance boost ... still having micro stutters

reg
Z

Blimey, on that card I should think you could run at 60fps all the time and forget the FPS Limiter, unless your framerate is CPU limited...

BTW is that a PCIe or an AGP card?

PCI exp vers 2.0 on Gigabyte EP45 DS3 board (slot = pci exp ver 2.0 )

CPU is probably the weakest link ... Dual core E 5300 2.60 GHz

still thanks for posting ... i'm sure lots of guys will find it useful

reg
Z

Seems to be a great mod but unfortunately I can't use it. I seem to have a Java problem (can't use the Java control panel despite several attempts of reinstallation in XP SP3). However Java seems to work otherwise.

Therefore my question : Is it possible to get this to work without using the jar file function? any other procedure possible?

Your help would be very much appreciated ( 2 x 8800 GT in SLI config and an Intel Core TM2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3GHZ)

Cheers,

Eckhart

Ps: If anybody has an idea how to solve this Java problem? :-?

Eckhart Wrote:Is it possible to get this to work without using the jar file function?

Yes. Make a shortcut with this command line:

"C:\Program Files\FPS Limiter\FPS_Limiter.exe" /r:OGL /f:30 "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\il2fb.exe"

And this start-in folder:

"C:\Program Files\FPS Limiter"

Obviously you should change the paths as necessary, but also you shoudl change the 30 to whatever FPS limit you want to use. That shortcut should do the trick.

HTH
OLC

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

You made my day!!!

It works and together with Gamebooster 1.1 it establish some smoothness never seen before!!! Smile Smile Smile

Bye bye microstutter just when you engage the ennemy!

A little question: how can I switch off the FPS counter which shows up in the upper left corner?

Many thanks for this nice idea!!! I encourage everybody to use it. Hopefully we can get it to work with HL one day... :wink:

Cheers,

Eckhart