First ever map using Kevinp's superb tutorial.

To get to this stage has took me around four days of head scratching and re-installs but I finally managed to fly the map today. Confusedhock:

[Image: Manam1.jpg]

[Image: Manam2.jpg]

Without the excellent tutorial from Kevinp and the tools available here I could never have hoped to attempt this, thanks everyone.

It took a number of attempts to get the files to the correct KB size and once I managed that I couldn't get my map builder to display the map in three D, the screen kept going a funny colour and flickering :???:.

Kevinp to the rescue again as he kindly had a map builder available for download, I just copied and pasted his files into my map builder and it worked, I must have been missing some files.

[Image: Manam3.jpg]

Not quite how kevin imagined I guess but at least it works :roll:

I played about a bit trying to give the look of a dorment Volcano, collapsed the top and added some trees.

[Image: Manam4.jpg]

Here's the smaller of the two islands

[Image: Manam5.jpg]

Even got the names on.

[Image: Manam6.jpg]

And flattened an area for the locals.

[Image: Manam7.jpg]

There are all kinds of imperfections I'm sure, but at least i got there in the end :!:

I now need to figure out how to make the take off and landing points, thats for another day though.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Congratulations! It really is a thrill flying around your own little creation the first time. KevinP's tutorial truly is a wonderful bit of work. -viking

YOU DID IT! It's a great sense of achievement I know. Welcome to the club.

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->

Whatever you want to make in the way of maps, once you know how to make them, you can do whatever you want. And that is ever so much fun ...

The world is now your oyster ... ha ha.

But still, beware - there

Thanks guys for the encouragment, it is marvellous to have the map work and be able to use it. The real work has already been done by all those who make the tutorials and the tools to do this, without them taking the time and trouble it would probably not have happened, so I owe them a very big thank you.

I've taken the first faltering steps along this road, I've much to learn, but hopefully now I can overcome the obstacles.

I hope this post encourages others to have a go also.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. Big Grin

Way to go Mission Bug!
Your effort may even spur me on to try a map.
Good Show.

kopfdorfer

Great you've accomplished Manam Island.

It's a huge learning curve and yes it can be very very addictive.

If I don't make a map for over three days or so I get the shakes he he he.

Congratulations

Kirby

Lamphun

Hi Kirby, yes it is a huge learning curve but a fun and interesting one. I might now have a look at your maps of vietnam, From what I see it would appear you have uploaded the basic map and it is up to us to populate it, is that correct?

I still need to take a look at kevin's second tutorial on textures so taking it one step at a time, slowly but surely I hope. Don't think I'll manage to be as prolific as you yet though.

All the best, Pete. Big Grin

Yes they are start up maps from

upon a successful loading in Kevin P's tutorial.

yes, you have to follow on with his tutorial from there and then move on to his texturing tutorial.

I have thought of you again this week I am going to do a start up map of Cambodia and South Viet Nam together.

The one that is available now is just South Viet Nam.

Cheers Kirby

Lamphun

Looking good Big Grin

And yes, nothing without kevinp's tutorial. It makes mapmaking much easier Big Grin

I've now managed to add the takeoff and landing waypoints to both Manam and Boisa. Also with help from the thread by Thrud I have managed to set up the taxi and standing waypoints so all aircraft land without dissapearing.

[Image: Manamseaplanelanding1.jpg]

PBY's at Boisa.

[Image: Manamseaplanelanding2.jpg]

Zero's at Manam.
[Image: Manamseaplanelanding3.jpg]

Auntie Ju drops in also.
[Image: Manamseaplanelanding4.jpg]

Time to move on to part two of Kevinp's excellent tutorial now I think, textures.

All the best, pete. Big Grin

And finally textures altered to taste.

Manam from the air.

[Image: Manamtextured1.jpg]

Boisa.

[Image: Boisatextured1.jpg]

Manam beach with settlement beyond.

[Image: Manamtextured2.jpg]

Cultivation on the slopes.

[Image: Manamtextured3.jpg]

[Image: Manamtextured4.jpg]

Lovely sandy beaches.

[Image: Manamtextured6.jpg]

From the pilot's seat.
[Image: Manamtextured7.jpg]

Now this small map is more or less finished I feel I can now take on something larger.

Wishing you all the best, Pete. :wink: