Start on Water

In the FMB how do you get a runway on water. I would like to have sea planes like the JU52 start on the water.
When i tried the runway4 its an air start. So how do I get the Water start.
I'm building this for an online game.
Is there a setting to change on RW#4 to get ground or water level?

There are specific airports on the water without runways. You cannot make them with test airfields. They are marked by a single Airfield icon in the FMB, rather than one at both ends of a runway.

skyomish Wrote:In the FMB how do you get a runway on water. I would like to have sea planes like the JU52 start on the water.
When i tried the runway4 its an air start. So how do I get the Water start.
I'm building this for an online game.
Is there a setting to change on RW#4 to get ground or water level?

If I understand you right all you need to do is place the aircraft where you want it to take off from. While the aircraft is selected click on view from the FMB menu. Click on object, then the waypoint tab. Make sure that waypoint zero is showing then go down to TYPE: (Normaly Normal is default, and click on the drop down menu. Select takeoff, then the aircraft hieght and speed will turn to zero. When you fly the map the plane will now take off from the water.

Hope that helps you out.

Two techniques to use here ...

1> Place a waypoint on the map & make it a takeoff point. The waypoint may snap to the nearest airfield. Then drag the waypoint to where you want the plane to takeof from. Provided that point is more than 1.2km from an airfield icon then the plane will takeoff from that waypoint. If less than 1.2km then the waypoint will stay there but the plane will still takeoff from the nearest airfield. This approach works on both land & water, so you can get planes to spawn on roadways, inside barns or hangars etc. provided they are more than 1.2km from an airfield.

2> You can place a test-runway4 (invisible runway) from the stationary ships menu on the water. Then place a waypoint closeby & make it a takeoff waypoint. The plane waypoint should snap to the invisible runway. You will then need to "set" the waypoint to the runway, just as you do for carrier takeoffs. After all, the test-runway4 is just an invisible carrier runway Smile . This technique is good for multiple planes lining up for takeoff. Note that for the the test-runway4 to work with this technique the water must be perfectly flat otherwise you'll get an air-start at 2000m. Yes, there are some shallow waters near coaslines that for some reason are not "perfectly flat".

What about crashlandings at water? Without test runway, it flys from the middle of gulf of finland to estonia... I tried test runway 4 but it is like normal runway so normal landing to invisible runway...

Oops ... forget about technique 2 above. Floatplanes will crash if they hit the invisible runway :oops:

Salmo Wrote:Oops ... forget about technique 2 above. Floatplanes will crash if they hit the invisible runway :oops:

i did manage to land a normad a few times on a runway, and almost undamaged both times (enemy AI plane blew my tail off 3th time :roll: )
its just a question of flying at the right speed and put her veeeery gently down, just like on water

Boosher Wrote:There are specific airports on the water without runways. You cannot make them with test airfields. They are marked by a single Airfield icon in the FMB, rather than one at both ends of a runway.

Yes you can. Test runway 4 (Hidden Rwy) I've made them before.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]