1/48 Italeri SBD-5 VMSB-231 Mjor Elmer Glidden & M/Sgt James Boile: Marshall Island 1944.
[Image: SBD5.jpg]
[Image: SBD52.jpg]
[Image: SBD54.jpg]
[Image: SBD515.jpg]
[Image: SBD525.jpg]
[Image: SBD523.jpg]
[Image: SBD521.jpg]
[Image: SBD58.jpg]
[Image: SBD519.jpg]
[Image: SBD513.jpg]
[Image: SBD511.jpg]
[Image: SBD510.jpg]

Did a bit of custom work on this bomb Smile
[Image: SBD59.jpg]

wow--pretty sweet, man.

Work of art.

[EDIT] Quick question, can anyone explain why the SBD and some other aircraft had all those holes punched into the control surfaces? Is it a method of weight saving, or trying to scrounge materials for the war effort, or what?

nice m8 clean job

on number 10 what are those little red, yellow, and green circles?

Good job. It is looking great.

When I saw the first photo I've thought that it's a real plane....
Very realistic work. Thank you!

Hummmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

delicious!!!!!!

Brophmeister Wrote:Work of art.

[EDIT] Quick question, can anyone explain why the SBD and some other aircraft had all those holes punched into the control surfaces? Is it a method of weight saving, or trying to scrounge materials for the war effort, or what?

Speed brakes... you see this on every sort of dive bomber... Trying to create as much drag as possible so the craft doesn't exceed VNE in a dive...

I've just finished my Messerschmitt Bf-110E-1 of Stab II.ZG26 over Russia 1941. But yours is way better, my was 1/72 whats yours?

Spinnetti Wrote:
Brophmeister Wrote:Work of art.

Speed brakes... you see this on every sort of dive bomber... Trying to create as much drag as possible so the craft doesn't exceed VNE in a dive...

Yep, I know theyre speed brakes but wasnt too certain why the designers filled them with so many holes. Thanks.

Lovely job!

Thankyou for your comments everyone. Smile

Brophmeister i think its to do with the airflow i might be wrong , its just a guess.

norm im not sure what they are for, maybe another member here will let us know. Smile

planemad i would like to see your 110 m8 & mine is 1/48 scale.

Hi all,

I think I can help answer a couple of those questions for you.

Brophmeister, the reason for all the holes in the dive brakes was to allow airflow through the brakes while still slowing the aircraft. If the brakes were solid metal with no holes, they would obviously create drag but would also create lift (like putting down your flaps) which would make the aircraft a much less stable bombing platform in a dive.

And for norm, those red, white and green circles are the aircraft recognition lights.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and by the way that is a beautiful model!! Really great work!!

Dale

planecrazydale Wrote:Hi all,

I think I can help answer a couple of those questions for you.

Brophmeister, the reason for all the holes in the dive brakes was to allow airflow through the brakes while still slowing the aircraft. If the brakes were solid metal with no holes, they would obviously create drag but would also create lift (like putting down your flaps) which would make the aircraft a much less stable bombing platform in a dive.

And for norm, those red, white and green circles are the aircraft recognition lights.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and by the way that is a beautiful model!! Really great work!!

Dale

Ah geeze, I'm embarrassed now, I remember one of my instructors telling me that a long time ago when I was learning gliders. Thanks for the straight answer!