Request: USS Midway

Now that we have Korean era jets like the F9F and more carrier aircraft obviously to come, is there anyone who might be able to create this?

[Image: 610px-USS_Midway%3B024105.jpg]

The USS Midway, the essential Korean era carrier.

moving elevators anyone?

Moving elevators would be secondary for me. I'd just love to see that angled deck working in game!

European Snake Wrote:Now that we have Korean era jets like the F9F and more carrier aircraft obviously to come, is there anyone who might be able to create this?

I believe during the Korean War era the carrier did not look like that. It was only modified to have angled runway later as a development project before being scrapped in the 1990's or something. Can't remember exactly but I believe they were originally used in WWII as a midway class carrier with 1 normal line deck without armour plated deck, capable of around 100 aircraft or more in it's 2 lower floors, when updated to have angled runway it was reduced to having 1 floor with an armour plated deck. Carrying around 60 aircraft or somethin like that. So essentially you have erm the Essex or Intrepid that we currently have in game i think.

yeah, arent those F-4s on the deck...i'd say put one in IL2 but then people would scream "NO NO NO, no jets like that waaaa waa waaa", so i will refrain.

EoW_WhamO_CO Wrote:yeah, arent those F-4s on the deck...i'd say put one in IL2 but then people would scream "NO NO NO, no jets like that waaaa waa waaa", so i will refrain.

It has F-4s on deck because it was used all throughout Vietnam, as well.

Yes, she was decomissed in '92..
----------------------------------------------------
Name: USS Midway
Namesake: Battle of Midway
Ordered: 1 August 1942
Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding
Laid down: 27 October 1943
Launched: 20 March 1945
Commissioned: 10 September 1945
Decommissioned: 11 April 1992
Struck: 17 March 1997
Fate: museum ship
----------------------------------------------------

She could carry 100 WOII-Korea era planes, and 67 Vietnam era planes

This is what she looked like in 1952:
[Image: USS_Midway.jpg]

European Snake Wrote:Now that we have Korean era jets like the F9F and more carrier aircraft obviously to come, is there anyone who might be able to create this?

You are several decades off there, and she didn't even participate in the Korean War. Confusedhock:

[Image: midway-070b.jpg]

akdavis Wrote:

You are several decades off there, and she didn't even participate in the Korean War. Confusedhock:

[Image: midway-070b.jpg]

But the sisterships of her class did, right?

Angled deck carriers appeared later than the Korean war, didn't they?

EoW_WhamO_CO Wrote:yeah, arent those F-4s on the deck...i'd say put one in IL2 but then people would scream "NO NO NO, no jets like that waaaa waa waaa", so i will refrain.

Why would you want them if they can't even be modeled properly in the IL-2 gaming engine? Tongue

AIRdomination Wrote:Angled deck carriers appeared later than the Korean war, didn't they?

Why would you want them if they can't even be modeled properly in the IL-2 gaming engine? Tongue

hey, no one said they couldn't be modelled properly, there just isn't a need for one that's all and it's way out of the time period.

The first Angled Deck Carrier was tested in 1953, the USS Antietam. It wasn't until later that the U.S. started making angled deck CV's from scratch.
Britain had the first full production Angled Deck Carrier in 1953 and shared the design with the U.S. that same year for testing. We began converting WWII carriers in 1954-55. That is why the Midway and her sister ships appear to have such a steep angle on the deck as compared with more modern carriers.

So, given the timeline involved, there would be NO angled carriers serving during the Korean Conflict.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

European Snake Wrote:
akdavis Wrote:

Nope.

akdavis Wrote:
European Snake Wrote:
akdavis Wrote:

Nope.

In that case I retract my request, but I'd still find it nice if someone did make it. For fun.