Problem at West Malling

Hi all:

Just now starting to use Canon's great Channel map and hit a bit of a snag:

At the airfied at West Malling, half way between the runway icons, which run roughly NE to SW, a patch of underlying ground texture appears, running north. When your a/c hits this patch it's like hitting any other rough terrain - your plane flips over. Another problem with this problem is that the field looks fine right up until the last moment when you can't avoid the terrain.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Great days all.

P.S. If this is in the wrong place please move. Thank you.

Yes, on one of the airfields there's a farm complete with cows standing in the runway. Can't recall off the top of my head the name but it is kind of odd.

Sounds like a bit of ground levelling is required.
For airfield plates to sit flat the ground needs to be perfectly level.

If you want to try to fix it take a look at map_h.tga in a graphics editor.

First write down the coordinates for the airfield. You can see them in FMB.
1 pixel = 200m so set your graphics software to show a pixel counter and you can find the airfield location.

You should have exactly the same shade of grey across the entire airfield.
Probably 1 pixel is different to the others.
Make them all the same.

Ensure you back up the original file first.

Ashe

Hi asheshouse:

I have zero experience in map making. What graphics editor(s) can be used and where do I get it/them? Where do I find this map_h.tga?

Thanks in advance.

Great days all.

Quick answer would be to drop a PM to Canon and he will probably fix it pretty quick.

Where the map_h is depends on your installation.

If you have an "old" UI 1.2 setup then you find it in one of the folders in MODS/Mapmods/Maps
If you have a later setup HSFX or UP1.8 then its much more complicated because the files are all compressed.

A good graphics editor is GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ which is free.
Takes a bit of practice to use but many here are using it.
I use Photoshop Elements, not free but cheap when bundled with a scanner.

Ashe

asheshouse:

Thanks for the quick reply. I have Photoshop and started farting around with the map_h I found in Canon's Channel map folder. The problem I had was: a) not knowing what the $#@! I was doing and b) not knowing where the %$#@ I was on the map.

Anyway, I think I'll take your suggestion and drop Canon a line.

Again, thanks for the input - it's folks like you that make this site probably about the best in the business.

Great days all.