[Map] Palembang, southern Sumatra

New map of Palembang, Sumatra
Tested with 4.09b1 and UI1.1

All textures are included and it uses standard 4.09 objects apart from Kronstadt ground plates from UI1.1.

Download here:
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ux7u2mz507.exe

This installer includes two map of Palembang in southern Sumatra. One covering the RAF and Dutch airfields, P1 & P2, during the Japanese invasion in 1942 and the second has the expanded Japanese bases of 1945. The 1945 map is designed to cover the British Pacific Fleet's carrier raids on the Palembang oil refineries, Operation Meridian I & II.

The installer includes QMB+ missions, add CustomX=Palembang to the end of your Config.ini (X being the next number in sequence).

[Image: Sumatra_navmap.jpg]

Sumatra navmap PDF, 720KB
Navigation map at 1mm to 1nmile at A4.

Very nice, thanks!! Big Grin

Outstanding! I can feel a BPF mission pack coming on now......... Big Grin

Another historical gap filled. Power to the modders.

superb!!!
every new stuff linked to PTO makes me HAPPY

Excellent! This one is needed! D/L-ing now!

kashiide Wrote:superb!!!
every new stuff linked to PTO makes me HAPPY
+1
Looking good. I wish that i had more time to do flying
kap

Good work
thanks for a great map :wink:

top notch work

many thanks

Z

Wonderful. Congratulations on a job well done. :wink:

Well done!
A few corrections for the text42 file (haven't checked the 45 text file yet, but presumably also apply):
Mosei river should be Moesi river.
Bankoelen should be Benkoelen.
Ooesthaven should be Oosthaven.
Songei Gerong refinery should be Soengei Gerong refinery.

A few further comments regarding P2 in 1942. Terence Kelly, in his book "Battle for Palembang", describes P2 as follows on page 42:

"Admittedly being devoid of the usual buildings the Japanese had come to expect to find on captured Allied airfields, it did appear from the air to be no more than a vast jungle clearing; admittedly it was possible largely to conceal aircraft not actually not taking off or landing under the shield of trees on the perimiter."
So the hangar and concrete strip, although clearly visible in a 1948 aerial photo, were later Japanese additions and not present in 1942. A drawing (source: Aviation Atlas of the Netherlands East Indies (1942) confirms that they are later additions as they are not shown in the drawing, though they most probably are correct for 1945.

I tried to install the map, but cannot get it to load-it stops at 23% when it wants to load the ground objects;
I do have a fully working UP2 install, but suspect it has something to do with the Kronstadt plates;
can I get those somewhere else?

many thanks in advance for any help

Slight problem with building historical missions here; IJA units in defence of oil refineries flew Ki-44's and Ki-45's as well as Ki-43's. Dang it - wish we had those missing Jap fighters. Still, not map builders fault; nice job.

Great job on this map.

Now that you have had all of the accolades how about getting back to work to make a Northern Sumatra Map so we can hit the Medan Ports. Don't stop there, you may as well add one with Sabang Island, Car Nicobar Islands and the Adaman Islands for our BPF striking pleasure. Big Grin

Just kidding of course although these additional maps would be nice.

Again great job on the Palembang map.

-)-MAILMAN-

Thank you for this map IJeremiah. it will come in handy for RN missions. At first it seems like the map is empty but zooming in you can see more villages with names. Fantastic job with the runway textures!

Link to my MEDIAFIRE downloads page: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb9c2dafe61348e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871">http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=11eb ... f6e8ebb871</a><!-- m -->