Spitfire IX Update

The stock Spitfire MkIX has a pretty terrible 3D model, so I came up with the idea of replacing it with a model derived from the MkVIII model, which is much better and more accurate. The only external difference between a MkIXc and a MkVIII is the tailwheel, so I took some parts from the Spitfire MkVc and edited the MkVIII's HIER.him file to produce the plane you see below.
[Image: spitix.jpg]
Anyway, I'm more than happy with the way the new MkIXc looks there, but there is a small problem. Once I take off and retract the undercarriage, the new tailwheel retracts just like the old one did, which leaves the plane looking exactly like a MkVIII again.

So I need some expert advice. If the new plane received classfiles pointing it towards a Spitfire MkIX FM, which of course has a fixed tailwheel, or a version of the MkVIII's FM with the retractable tailwheel disabled, would the tailwheel remain down as shown in the picture or would I have to do more HIER editing?

The next step would of course be to find someone willing to make the needed classfiles, with versions for the MkIXc, MkIXc CLP, MkIXe and MkIXe CLP(I have versions of this 3D model for all these), with appropriate HF and LF models as required. Since these are existing aircraft I don't know how much work would be needed, but if anyone is able and willing to help this would be much appreciated.

I hope to have these as new slot aircraft which would be named SpitfireMkIXc(Merlin 63) or SpitfireLF.MkIXe(Merlin66) and so on to distinguish them from the existing MkIXs, but I don't know Java coding or how to make new slots so I will need help to get them into the game.

The new planes can use existing MkVIII skins.

Regards.

pretty sure the tailwheel is down to the model itself. There will be a hook there telling it that gear up means move that bit as well as the other 2 bits under the wings. You'll have to edit the import the model to max and edit it and export it to change that I think. The FM will say something like "gear=1" or "gear=0" something like that which just means whether it has retractable gears or not.

You have to edit hier.him and rename gear parts to match calls in java from moveGear method from Spitfire IX.

Pretty cool idea, buddy!! Not only more accurate, but much more easy to skin! Aproved!! Tongue

_1SMV_Gitano Wrote:You have to edit hier.him and rename gear parts to match calls in java from moveGear method from Spitfire IX.
On the Spitfire IX there are two parts concerning the tailwheel, named GearC1 and GearC2. The Spitfire VIII has 5 parts, named GearC1 to GearC5. C1 is the wheel itself, C2 is the bracket holding the wheel and C3 is the strut. C4 and C5 are the tailwheel doors, and since these are not found on the SpitVc from which I took the parts I moved the doors into the fuselage to a point where they can't be seen in either open or closed positions.

I'm wondering if it might not be a better idea to use the MkVc as a base and add MkVIII parts (ironically this is exactly how the real MkIX was made) because this would solve the tailwheel problem, and it is easy enough to reposition the other parts.

I made the same thing some time ago.

please try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?zygnxynixnn. It is only the (Multi1) so you can see the difference from old to new model by switching from RAF to other national markings.

_1SMV_Gitano Wrote:I made the same thing some time ago.

please try this: http://www.mediafire.com/?zygnxynixnn. It is only the (Multi1) so you can see the difference from old to new model by switching from RAF to other national markings.
[Image: spitixc.jpg]
That is exactly what I was trying to achieve, thank you very much indeed.

I took the liberty of giving it a pointed rudder and putting it in the MkIX25lbs slot,where it flys beautifully and now has the looks to match its peformance.

I suppose this breaks online compatibility though? At the very least, custom skins are going to look weird for other players Smile

This is only a 3D facelift, no FM modifications are involved. But as you said, this will give some weird effects when flying with Skin Donwload on, unless also other users adopt the same change.

Gread idea David! I'm surprised this hasn't been done sooner

Anto Wrote:Gread idea David! I'm surprised this hasn't been done sooner

Because the VIII may be mapped a whole lot better, but unfortunately is quite a bit the wrong shape, especially the rear fuselage is considerably too long.

Thank you very much, Very nice !

Zorin Wrote:
Anto Wrote:Gread idea David! I'm surprised this hasn't been done sooner

Because the VIII may be mapped a whole lot better, but unfortunately is quite a bit the wrong shape, especially the rear fuselage is considerably too long.
[Image: profile2x.jpg]
[Image: profile3.jpg]
[Image: profile4h.jpg]
You have a point about the rear fuselage, it definitely is a touch too long on the MkVIII derived MkIX, and both Il2 Spits have a slight "humpback" where the real Spit has straight line between the fin and the cockpit. The MkVIII is also not quite right around the front of the canopy but the engine and spinner are much more accurately shaped on the MkVIII, and details such as the cannon, tailwheel, radiators and oil filter are also much more accurate on the MkVIII. Factoring in the way the MkVIII is higher poly and better mapped, it is the better model, but it could use the attention of someone like JapanCat to correct the shape of the rear fuselage and cockpit.

EDIT: I used the CF and Tail from the Spitfire XII to produce this MkVIII, with corrected rear fuselage shape.
[Image: spitviiiprofile.jpg]

[Image: spitixfinished.jpg]
Okay, I have finished and bug tested the external update for the Spitfire IX, but I still need to get the aircraft to use the MkVIII's cockpit instead of the MkIX's, because using the MkIX's cockpit produces an ugly gap between the front of the canopy and the back of the cowling when viewed from the inside view.

I am also running into problems with the E-Wing versions of the MkIX, because while I can make a aircraft that looks like a MkIXe (using the WingMid sections from the LF.MKXIVe, and also the WingOut sections for Clipped MkIXs), when the guns are fired the cannon shoot from the right place but the .50cal MGs fire from what would be the outer .303cal MG positions in a C-Wing Spit, instead of from inboard of the cannon.

I'm fairly sure the solution to both these problems lie in the Java files with names like A41E14EE728DE202, but I have no idea what I would need to do to alter these in the necessary way or even how to find the right files for each plane, so I will need some help here.

Regards

Terrific! "Cook it up"!! :lol:

David603 Wrote:[Image: spitixfinished.jpg]
Okay, I have finished and bug tested the external update for the Spitfire IX, but I still need to get the aircraft to use the MkVIII's cockpit instead of the MkIX's, because using the MkIX's cockpit produces an ugly gap between the front of the canopy and the back of the cowling when viewed from the inside view.

I am also running into problems with the E-Wing versions of the MkIX, because while I can make a aircraft that looks like a MkIXe (using the WingMid sections from the LF.MKXIVe, and also the WingOut sections for Clipped MkIXs), when the guns are fired the cannon shoot from the right place but the .50cal MGs fire from what would be the outer .303cal MG positions in a C-Wing Spit, instead of from inboard of the cannon.

I'm fairly sure the solution to both these problems lie in the Java files with names like A41E14EE728DE202, but I have no idea what I would need to do to alter these in the necessary way or even how to find the right files for each plane, so I will need some help here.

Regards

The XIV problem with the wings, that shouldn't happen because the hooks that determine where th gun is fired from should be on the wing itself so not quite sure why thats happening. Maybe your making it use the wrong slot. The cockpit is referred to in the java class files and it tells the plane what cockpit to use. That's just a simple 5 lines of code or so to change that, but would mean re-doing all the loadouts for the new slot.