q66oo oc. @3.2ghz temps, sli fps running blackdeath

Hello, I'm looking for someone or someones to compare temps for my cpu. I just overclocked it to 3.2ghz (its a Q6600 stock 2.4ghz quadcore). it runs at 40c-45c at idle and can get up to 55c running a stress test. ARE THESE TEMPS NORMAL/SAFE??

Also I'm running dual 9500gt's overclocked as little as these sucky card will run, I need not complain I guess. With HSFX4.1(high effect, perfect tex), a screen res 1600x900 refresh 60hz. I just ran the blackdeath.trk with an average45 min14 max74 with vert sync on. One trick I figure out is IL-2 will run faster at lower screen res's and it isn't true SLI compatible, so if you run is in split frame instead of alternating frames it works really good. Its like running each 9500gt at a res of 800x450. I tried this for other games, but newer games like MW2 that are SLI games wont run split screen good or sometimes at all. With vert sync off it runs 80-120 fps under normal to heavy gaming conditions.

Plz tell me what you think, btw my vcore is at 1.38v.

Use HWMonitor.exe (google it, from CPUID) to monitor temps so we're on the same page. 40-45c idle is a bit too hot if you're talking about overall temps (CPUTIN, or "CPU" as listed in hwmonitor, I believe) rather than the average of individual coretemps. If the numbered cores (1-4) list temps around 40c at idle this is ok. Make sure none of the coretemps exceed 75c average for any length of time (and overall cpu should not exceed 60). These are typically "safe" temps, though warm, and what I use to overclock builds involving the Q6600.

For reference mine is @ 3.2ghz and tops out @ 50-54c overall and 65-70 on the individual cores. This is warm, to be sure, but I've had it this way for over 2 years now and it doesn't seem to mind. My vcore is 1.34.

A few tricks to help with theblackdeath and overall il2 fps -- water=0 and trees=0 hurts visual quality very little in most situations but helps immensely with overall fps. Consult my guide for more tweaks.

I use cpuid and that tem is the core0 reading. The 1,2,3 core run progressivly less normaly( ex. core0 43c, core1 39c,2 39c, 38c). As far as the overall temp, I dont know?? You mean the ACPI temp? its at 40c.

I am very familar with your config guides. my last rig was a discontinued intel board with pci slots only. I got a 8600gs to run alright. I couldn't use DCG at high settings or nothin. With this rig I have it at max pretty much. water3 trees2 effects1. that blackdeath run is on perfect setting but landgeom2. The new landgeom3 looks good, but it is too big of a fps for me. One day I'll have dual260gt's. but I dont have that kind of cash right now.

Those temps are good for that overclock. Your load temps are very good. What cooler do you have btw? I am getting ready to liquid cool my i5 750 so I can run my 4.3ghz overclock everyday. I just have case left that has mobo tray hole for access. I picked myself a NZXT m59.

I got liquid. I dont know enough about water cooled to tell you who made it. Its the type that looks like a little car radiator with a fan mounted directly to it inside the case on the back wall under the power pack. Its not one of the new ones that fit in a dvd reader mounting spot. It has two neopren hose running to a pump mounted directly on the prossessor. I think I'm really set up to do 3.6ghz, but I will run it a 3.2ghz for a while to see how it goes.

pic

[Image: dsc00046ex.jpg]

Looks good, you should be set. You should be able to hit 3.6 but its not certain -- no 2 CPUs are truly identical so what works perfectly on a Q6600 G0 SLACR on an identical build board/HSF/etc can fail simply with a different Q6600 G0 SLACR, or one could overclock further with lower voltage, etc. Give it a go, you won't know until you try. Just be careful. Take it slow.

PS: Slight variations between core temp readings is normal. And I didn't mean ACPI. Don't worry about that, use the core temps and you'll do fine.

I like water=0 forest=0 effects=1 with everything else cranked way up, 4xAA/16xAF, etc. Thats how I did my youtube videos. I can get 30+ fps while recording @ 1920x1080 / 30fps using fraps... 8)

Edit: I'd mess around with disabling SLI (nhancer should be able to do it for the il2 profile), the overhead is likely to actually give you less FPS overall. If you can hit 3.6ghz (hell even 3.2) you should be able to get the game running really smooth and pretty with only a bit of tweaking. 9500GT is not -that- bad, and IL2 cares far more about CPU core speed than video processing power.

I'll mess around and try the single card setting like you suggested. I've heard ppl say that before, and if you recomend it also then it must be worth expermenting with. Also my bios and cpuid say I'm running at 3.2, but when I right click My Computer and look at Properties it says I'm running at 3.6ghz. Mabey its because I'm running 1600fsb and x8 multiplier and it normally is a x9multiplier. And 1600x9 would give me 3.6ghz exactly. Have you heard of a descrepicy in windows identifing the proccessor like this. It is windows7 32bit version. BTW since I'm set up for more that 3g of ram how hard is it to upgrade to windows 64 bit. everything I've seen says I have to do a complete reinstall of windows and since I bought this computer used I dont have the windows disk or the key code for it, so I would have to buy a new windows 7 pack. They want a lot of money for oc's right now and I never use more then like 1.5-2 gigs of ram. So I'm not really sure it would be worth it right now. Also I see some programs are having problems making the 32 bit to 64 bit convertion and I dont want to do something just to have more problems in the future. Having followed most of you guides in the past with my last rig, I really respect your opinion and would love to hear your views on the subject. It's something I'm considering for the future and I'm trying to learn as much about it now while I can.

Trust CPUZ, not My Computer. Mine also says 3.6 in My Computer but I assure you my Q6600 can't hit 3.6 on air. I am also running 1600 FSB, but I can't say for certain why windows reads it that way -- your suggestion about windows reading the CPU with only the default multiplier is as good an explanation as any, though.

64 bit is only worth it if you actually need it. If you have any games or apps that benefit heavily from having access to more than 3gb of ram then its something to look at, but not essential. I use XP32 with 4gb (3.25gb effective) and I have no problems with anything out there... but I don't own ARMA2 yet, heheh. With your low end graphics I definitely wouldn't bother until you can upgrade that, it is much more important than OS. But it is something to look at down the road when you have much more of a need for it.