Best looking water with HD 4890 ?!

Hello everybody. this i my first post here and i need help.

recently i bought a new PC with an ATI Radeon HD 4890. now i cant find the right configuration (in the conf.ini file) to make the water look the best it can.

i previously ran the game on an GeForce 6600 GT and the water looked nearly perfect.

what do i have to do to make the water look that good on my new card. i already tried several things, but nothing worked.

thanks for your help guys

(sry for my english, i'm from germany)

Take a look at this conf.ini guide over at M4T and it should tell you everything you need to know about water settings.

OpenGL Conf.ini Guide
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=...how&kid=27

Water=1
To select water rendering mode please modify the Water section in the file conf.ini in the [Render_OpenGL] section (Water = 1 by default).

Water = 0 - Water with flat geometry (fastest).

Water = 1 - Water with flat geometry (fast).

Water = 2 - This mode is visually similar to water = 3 but it runs on ATI cards 9800, X800, X1800 and later models.

Water = 3 - Fast render mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6600 and later models)

Water = 4 - Better quality mode with Vertex Shaders 3.0 (NVIDIA 6800 and later models)

Reminder:
ATI 9500 and higher supports modes: 0, 1, 2.
NVIDIA 6600 and later models support: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.
NVIDIA cards before the 6xxx series support: 0, 1, 2 (2 is not recommended).

Hi,

I don't think it'll be down to the graphics card, but make sure you're in open GL mode with perfect landscape detail settings, then go to 'render open GL' in conf.ini file and amend water=0 to 1 or 2.
That's with the standard game unmodded. I beieve you can enter water=3 or 4 under certain conditions, but it's never worked for me!
Hope this helps.

Dutch

Also make sure you have the older drivers. I had TERRIBLE graphical issues and had to revert back. (I have the same graphics card) There are major problems with IL-2 and the latest Catylist drivers.

I use 9.10. I suggest that. Also, the best you can do is water = 2 in config.ini

alright.. i'll try it.

i'll let you know if it worked. thanks for the help =)

h guys, just a quick question. everytime i try to save chnges in my conf.ini file, it doesnt save. it says it does, but nothing actually changes in teh game, and i still cant set to perfet mode. i have fully working il-2 4.09 HSFX 4.I. any suggestions, gettin a little tired of flat textureless water Sad also, i am using OpenGL

WCD88 Wrote:h guys, just a quick question. everytime i try to save chnges in my conf.ini file, it doesnt save. it says it does, but nothing actually changes in teh game, and i still cant set to perfet mode. i have fully working il-2 4.09 HSFX 4.I. any suggestions, gettin a little tired of flat textureless water Sad

Are you on Vista? Wink

....yup, why do i get the feeling i should brace for bad news?