Intel Core2duo E8600 vs Core2Quad Q9650 ?

Hi !

I wondered which of these two processors worked best with IL2 to replace an intel E6850 CPU.

My computer : intel E6850 3GHz, 4 Go DDR2, Asus P5Q motherboard, Earthwatt 650W Antec power supply, Asus 9800GTX+, Antec 3700BQE box

Sorry if this question was already asked somewhere in the forum, I haven't a lot of time to dedicate for a search in the database.

Thanks a lot by advance

Regards

M8

The Core2Quad is hands down a better processor. Newer technology, more cores and faster clock. BUT either processor is an improvement over what you have, though you may not see any difference in playability in IL-2

I would say the 8600 (very easy to overclock) if it is cheaper, since IL2 doesn't take multi core processors into account ... Big Grin

Always buy with the future in mind. Even though IL-2 doesn't recognise multi cores, SOW:BOB and anything new will, especially 2 or 3 years from now.

E8600 be shure! I personal compare the Q6600 with E-6600 years ago and the E-600 was much better! I sugest you upgrade to i7 series.

MOD is LIFE!!

I have a new tweak that forces IL2 to use multiple cores (though not very efficiently), it is coming in tweak guide 2.0

I wouldn't bother upgrading your CPU. Just buy an aftermarket heatsink and overclock it. You'll get at least 500-600mhz safely and your current CPU even not overclocked is excellent.

E8600 would barely be an upgrade, you would hardly see any improvement. Q9650 is nice but not a gigantic upgrade since you already have an excellent dual core. I'd wait.

^^^^ yes what bighotdogsilver said; I would wait bigger newer is coming out this summer so wait...

better Nvidia, better Intell cpus, and better Mobos this summer..

Ok,

Thanks for all your advices folks.

I think an E8600 will replace my E6850 soon.

It may help a bit my 9800GTX+ GPU while playing Rise of Flight and as i don't have any trustable technical details on the hardware needed for Oleg's BOB-SOW.... don't want to break the "pink pig" without some good reasons. :wink:

Hope to see you in flight.

Cheers !

M8

PB0_Mighty-8 Wrote:Ok,

Thanks for all your advices folks.

I think an E8600 will replace my E6850 soon.

It may help a bit my 9800GTX+ GPU while playing Rise of Flight and as i don't have any trustable technical details on the hardware needed for Oleg's BOB-SOW.... don't want to break the "pink pig" without some good reasons. :wink:

Hope to see you in flight.

Cheers !

M8
Well as far as ROF goes it won't help that either. I get 100% CPU usage and look at my specs in sig I get a slid fest in the ROF game. With medium setting a quad core I hear works far better at handeling ROF.

Hi,

Same advice as written earlier, I would keep what you have and see what Oleg's " Storm of War " will need in a few months when it is released. I recommend saving your money for those coming upgrades.

Meanwhile, there are a bunch of optimizations that you can make until then-free of cost. Have you studied the multi core topics recently posted in this forum? Altogether, there are several very useful topics posted on the same ( most recent ) page of the registry.

So that you know what to expect, I run a measly dual core CPU and a dual core GPU. The Frames Per Second used to be about 12 to 35. Now my FPS is 20 - 100 FPS. Only the atomic bomb blast and many planes spawning at the same time causes a stutter.

Yes, you can get the one thread application called IL-2 to run in multi thread. Yes, you can get IL-2 to go from running in the first core to running in the core of your choosing, even all cores. Quad core guys should run IL-2 in a core by itself-no other programs in that core, say core #4, as an example. I have dual core and run IL-2 just fine in both cores.

All the information is at your favorite IL-2 website: All Aircraft Arcade. Big Grin