new processor

I would like a little bit of advice if I can get it. This is regarding a processor upgrade. Right now I have a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz. I would like to know what would be a reasonably good upgrade. My motherboard is ASUSTek Computer Inc Model P5K

Thanks
Relic

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features...2011#close

AMD pulls in six-core CPU, announces 16-core for 2011

Sunnyvale (CA)

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

Well that is impressive but I will keep my 2 p4 extreme chips at 3.6 per and other goodies amd this 5 year old system still out works and faster than the new systems. Till they come up with something better and faster. Plus AMD has issues.

{HVY-E}Jinxx Wrote:AMD pulls in six-core CPU, announces 16-core for 2011
Why suggest an AMD cpu for Intel cpu replacement?
@relic: Have you seen this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=25233

Yeah....... More cores does not automatically translate to more fps. This is especially true when your talking about low wattage cpus.

With the latest bios update on your P5K, you can run an E8500 which is stock at 3.12Ghz and with no effort at all can be overclocked to 3.6 on stock heatsink and fan. If you put on an Artic 7 Freezer you can go to 4.0 Ghz, no sweat. Assuming of course that your RAM is fast enough. That chip has a 9.5 multiplier and will be stable.

niassogna Wrote:...Assuming of course that your RAM is fast enough...
...and your video card can keep up.

The reason for bringing up the AMD CPU's is price vs. gain.

For the Price of a new Intel Chip, he could buy a new AMD 8-16 core CPU, MB and Ram.
The High End AMD chip is projected to price out at around $200-$300 dollars where a comparable Intel Chip would be $1000.00 just for the Chip.
The AMD 8 core CPU's are projected to be AM3 (Current Socket), where the Intel Chips almost always require a new MB.
(The more expensive 12 and 16 core chips will be a new socket, but MB's will still be $100 - $300 depending on your tastes).

The money saved on CPU, MB and Memory can then be put to better Video cards.

Though I fly through the valley of death, I will fear no evil.....
For I am the meanest SOB in the valley!

[Image: JollySignature.jpg]

Hello, everyone

Well, here I go again-adding my humble two bits into this.

Storm of War will be released in a few months. Like I keep saying-sorry for you guys who keep reading it from me-prepare for what is to come. If you can bear to wait just a few months for SoW release, then you will have a much better idea of what you need for that. Meanwhile, there are many things that you can do to improve how your PC renders IL-2. Smile

I recommend saving your money for upgrades toward Storm of War after it's release.

I agree with fireskull. It is not worth spending on a new processor that is on a dead end platform. Plus I do not like AMD for higher priced systems, because you DO get a better bang for the buck if you go with an Intel system as long you have the budget. The AMD systems are not as fast as many fanbois say.

Thanks to everyone for your advice on this subject. I am going to wait until storm of war comes out and then take a look at making a few changes.
thanks again
relic

GeneralPsycho Wrote:I agree with fireskull. It is not worth spending on a new processor that is on a dead end platform. Plus I do not like AMD for higher priced systems, because you DO get a better bang for the buck if you go with an Intel system as long you have the budget. The AMD systems are not as fast as many fanbois say.

Hi, GeneralPsycho

Basically, I am agreeing with you. I would like to add that PCs are complex in all the components. One guy will use an inferior AMD over a superior Intel. The AMD guy might achieve significantly better IL-2 results. The opposite is also possible. There are dozens and sometimes hundreds of factors that effect IL-2 performance, both software and hardware.

Issues in the PC relm are constantly changing with new combinations being adding almost daily. It is worth noting that the coming DirectX 11 will create a whole new league for 3D graphics.

Yup, because Storm of War is on the horizon, I myself am waiting. :wink: